Sabres Head Coach Search 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
The worst part is that it doesn't even matter who Botts hires. He could get Keefe now and half these boards will still talk about how the sky is falling because Botts didn't get a coach with NHL experience. If he gets a guy like Tippett then those same people will say how much they hate retreads and how the sky is still falling.

This is true, of course. The reality is there is more than one coach who is the "right guy" and there are many, many, many who are not.

I like Tippett as my first choice because I think he is an excellent coach and leader. If we opt for a younger, less experienced coach then I think we will be fortunate if said coach ends up being as good as Tippett is. In other words, now is the time to go with the more sure of a thing.

That said, Keefe, Gronborg, Nelson, Lambert and many others, including some I'm sure who I have never considered, would give me cause for optimism.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Unless the team was away on a road trip or out of state for the summer. If that's the case our misery would be compounded with no home, little food, death and the Sabres would still be a hockey team.

And
qr5UFxw.gif

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
What if that weird 6th round pick deal with Toronto before was a good faith thing for them to play nice should Buffalo pursue Keefe, if Housley didn't pan out?
There is a 0% chance of that being the case. What kind of incentive would that be for Torono? Why would a deal even mentioning Keefe have been made at that time?

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
There is a 0% chance of that being the case. What kind of incentive would that be for Torono? Why would a deal even mentioning Keefe have been made at that time?
Fair enough, just throwing ideas out there. Having a little fun.

I suppose if Toronto can't legally block us from reaching out to Keefe with the job offer, then it wouldn't be "incentive" so to speak. Just more of a "no hard feelings if we try to poach your guy in the near future" on Botts part with a somewhat trivial 6th round pick swap, and Toronto gets to move up in the 6th round... maybe get a better shot to pick a guy they were targeting late in the draft. (EDIT: And in this unlikely scenario, I imagine that it's Toronto that comes calling initially, asking "hey what would you want to swap 6ths?" and Botts obliges with a wink and a nudge.)

And I suppose, at that time, maybe they didn't have so much faith in Housley. Enough to give him a chance to redeem himself or follow up with what he learned the previous year, but realistically trying to gameplan for what happens and who to look at if he doesn't. And then he didn't.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Am I the only one that wants nothing to do with Gronborg?

Why isn't the guy coaching a team, besides the Swedish national teams? He talks about wanting to coach in North America so bad, but why doesn't he start with coaching a team in maybe the Swedish hockey league?

The only HC experience I see on an actual team is back in 2003 in the AWHL.

I'm actually wondering why he would even be in conversation for an NHL HC job. Makes zero sense.
Head coach of the national team is a fulltime job so he can’t coach another team in the meantime. Stepping down from that would reauire a major NLA/KHL contract to be worth it.

Rönnberg is 100 times better however.

Reactions: Chainshot

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I wonder if they'd interview Mike Vellucci, the head coach of the Charlotte Checkers. He just won AHL Coach of the Year. The Checkers have had 96 and 110 pts in his two seasons there - the latter of which was even sabotaged by having to play Scott Darling 14 times after he got sent down (he only won 5 of those games). The Checkers and Marlies (Keefe) seem to be barreling towards a conference finals showdown. Vellucci also had pretty good success with Plymouth in the OHL. He's blocked by Brind'amour in that organization. If we're going with a no-stone-unturned approach, he probably warrants at least an interview.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The worst part is that it doesn't even matter who Botts hires. He could get Keefe now and half these boards will still talk about how the sky is falling because Botts didn't get a coach with NHL experience. If he gets a guy like Tippett then those same people will say how much they hate retreads and how the sky is still falling.
Honestly I would be fine with Keefe or Gronberg.
Not so much with Martin/Tippett.
The interesting retreads are gone.
The situation changes so people change their opinions.
I see myself falling in the complaining loop and I am not proud of it.
But if you really want things to change around here I suggest you try a different attitude yourself unless you want to complain about people complaining which you did in a generalizing way mirroring the very same attitude you don't like to see around here.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I wonder if they'd interview Mike Vellucci, the head coach of the Charlotte Checkers. He just won AHL Coach of the Year. The Checkers have had 96 and 110 pts in his two seasons there - the latter of which was even sabotaged by having to play Scott Darling 14 times after he got sent down (he only won 5 of those games). The Checkers and Marlies (Keefe) seem to be barreling towards a conference finals showdown. Vellucci also had pretty good success with Plymouth in the OHL. He's blocked by Brind'amour in that organization. If we're going with a no-stone-unturned approach, he probably warrants at least an interview.

Really like his resume. I'd be okay with that hire.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

His resume is most impressive. And he's still working too.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
But if you really want things to change around here I suggest you try a different attitude yourself unless you want to complain about people complaining which you did in a generalizing way mirroring the very same attitude you don't like to see around here.
I think you're undervaluing Tippett... IMO he's very much in the AV/MacLellan tier (interesting retreads), not the Martin tier.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011

Wow this is weird, because I came here to ask why he isn’t talked about as an NHL coaching candidate in general. His Checkers have been a buzzsaw this year.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

You should check my post history. I have been trying to do that for almost the entire year. Constantly preached optimism and a wait and see attitude prior to being pessimistic. Got tired of being told how stupid I was and now I post much less often and stopped trying.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Let's go FULL SWEDE!

Head: Rikard Gronborg
Associate: Ulf Samuelsson
Assistant: Kjell Samuelsson
Assistant: Ulf Dahlen

This could be a good coaching staff. You can't go wrong with 3 Samuelssons and you can never have too many Dahlens.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Came across another interesting article on Tippett

Dave Tippett hired to set up NHL Seattle's foundation - NHL to SEATTLE

Sports science, maximizing player potential, training, and player development are all things that Tippett wants to help establish in Seattle. Tippett talks at detail about studying player recovery, sleep, and nutrition as being important for any franchise to look at. With how much money a team invests into its players, making sure that they have state of the art facilities, training, coaching, and information is vital.

Tippett mentions a software system, called XOS, that he utilizes that allows him, or any coach, to watch every NHL game and break down individual players shifts, faceoffs, and shots. It’s all part of the evolution of hockey.

....“I’ve done my own analytics program since I started coaching. I had a whole system that I’ve built through that XOS. Some numbers like Fenwick and Corsi, they’re garbage. They’re garbage because they come off the stats upstairs. Every stat that I keep comes off a video that I watch, a scoring chance that I’ve watched and whose involved in it.”

Reactions: Sabre the Win
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad