Sabres Head Coach Search 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
If Todd Nelson isn't on the Bott list something is wrong.
Clipboard01.jpg

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
If it comes down to Nelson and Grönberg, I still want Grönberg, badly. Would be the best thing for our Swede youngsters, of which there are a good handful. Grönberg already knows how to maximize Dahlin's skill set, and he's the perfect blend of analytical and situational.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Am I the only one that wants nothing to do with Gronborg?

Why isn't the guy coaching a team, besides the Swedish national teams? He talks about wanting to coach in North America so bad, but why doesn't he start with coaching a team in maybe the Swedish hockey league?

The only HC experience I see on an actual team is back in 2003 in the AWHL.

I'm actually wondering why he would even be in conversation for an NHL HC job. Makes zero sense.
He could be another Elizabeth Holmes.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
At least I can find Nelson or Tippett in a pile of “yeah I get it and it makes some sense but here we are again with the top guys gone begging for scraps but it could all work out just fine”

Martin would be a find a new hobby for a while pick.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
If it comes down to Nelson and Grönberg, I still want Grönberg, badly. Would be the best thing for our Swede youngsters, of which there are a good handful. Grönberg already knows how to maximize Dahlin's skill set, and he's the perfect blend of analytical and situational.

I don’t think Grönborg has coached Dahlin outside of once at the olympics, has he? (I don’t think he has)

and he made terrible use of him there...

https://deadspin.com/what-the-hell-is-sweden-doing-with-its-phenom-1823069212

Rasmus Dahlin scratched, benched in Sweden's first two Pyeongchang games - Sportsnet.ca

The seven defencemen getting ice time and a start over Dahlin were Staffan Kronwall, Mikael Wikstrand, Patrik Hersley, Johan Fransson, Simon Bertilsson, Erik Gustafsson, and Jonas Ahnelov, who have a total of 157 career NHL games between them.

“I’m shocked. I have no idea what the coach is thinking,” Hall of Famer Peter Forsberg told Eurosport. “If he’s going to be here and learn, maybe he should be on the ice?”

He only got in 2 games. He played about 4 minutes in 1 game (he sat the whole 3rd period), and about the same in the other iirc.

He got 4 total shifts in each of the 2 games.

He wasn’t named to team Sweden for the worlds, otherwise we would’ve had a chance to see Grönborg coach him again.

Reactions: Chainshot

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I would love Lindy Ruff as VP of hockey operations, Mark Hunter as GM and Dale Hunter as coach.You know based on their careers and their coaching experience the team would be ultra competitive, Mark Hunter would go get toughness to sprinkle in with our young elite talent.This team would be a pain to play against and ultra competitive.Thats my dream scenario

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
At least I can find Nelson or Tippett in a pile of “yeah I get it and it makes some sense but here we are again with the top guys gone begging for scraps but it could all work out just fine”

Martin would be a find a new hobby for a while pick.
There was 1 top guy, Q, and he went to Florida with with friend Tallon. AV and McLellan were not top guys. I would prefer Tippet over either of them.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
There was 1 top guy, Q, and he went to Florida with with friend Tallon. AV and McLellan were not top guys. I would prefer Tippet over either of them.
Agree.

My list would go -

Q

Tippett
AV

McLellan

I never really thought Tippett was an option, so I didn’t give him much consideration until I heard we interviewed him.

Tippett said that he would only get back into coaching if it was the right situation. He’s (reportedly) turned down other interview opportunities over the last year. I didn’t really think he would view the Sabres as his right opportunity, but I’m happy he seems to.

If Tippett really wants this job, I don’t feel like we are in any position to turn him down.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goathead

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
As I understand it Ken Holland is close to Edmonton and therefore there were some rumors that he will try to attract Tippett.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don’t think Grönborg has coached Dahlin outside of once at the olympics, has he? (I don’t think he has)

and he made terrible use of him there...

https://deadspin.com/what-the-hell-is-sweden-doing-with-its-phenom-1823069212

Rasmus Dahlin scratched, benched in Sweden's first two Pyeongchang games - Sportsnet.ca

He only got in 2 games. He played about 4 minutes in 1 game (he sat the whole 3rd period), and about the same in the other iirc.

He got 4 total shifts in each of the 2 games.

He wasn’t named to team Sweden for the worlds, otherwise we would’ve had a chance to see Grönborg coach him again.

Can one of our Swedish posters give us any context on this because on the surface the idea of bringing in a coach who has a history of treating our franchise player really bad sounds completely stupid and ridiculous?

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Can one of our Swedish posters give us any context on this because on the surface the idea of bringing in a coach who has a history of treating our franchise player really bad sounds completely stupid and ridiculous?

I didn't really follow the Olympics so I can't say anything about that except that there probably were a bunch of defensemen considered better and more experienced than the then 17 year old Dahlin. :dunno: I seriously doubt there was any "really bad" treatment of any particular player. What I can say though is that referred too @Nystromhockey is kind of a moron.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I didn't really follow the Olympics so I can't say anything about that except that there probably were a bunch of defensemen considered better and more experienced than the then 17 year old Dahlin. :dunno: I seriously doubt there was any "really bad" treatment of any particular player. What I can say though is that referred too @Nystromhockey is kind of a moron.
Fair, but there was a list of guys quoted above who there is absolutely no way in hell were better than Dahlin (even when he was 17). It just seems like terrible decision making.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Q and AV were the two top guys.

It will be so fitting for a lost dinosaur like Holland to hire Tippet.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
If Gronberg didn't trust youth, it is alarming, although all of our Swedes flattering him, I don't know.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I would love Lindy Ruff as VP of hockey operations, Mark Hunter as GM and Dale Hunter as coach.You know based on their careers and their coaching experience the team would be ultra competitive, Mark Hunter would go get toughness to sprinkle in with our young elite talent.This team would be a pain to play against and ultra competitive.Thats my dream scenario
Why Lindy as VP? Nostalgia? Does he have any experience in such a role, let alone reason to think he would thrive?

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
I’ll be right here in 12 months pointing the Flyers success and saying “I told you so”.

Not exactly taking a tough bet, Flyers are already built for success. They just under performed terribly under Hakstol. Just look at their performance after he was fired.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Still, Vigneault would not even be interested in working in Buffalo, not the best coach for a young team.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Getting the most out of our Swedish players is the least of my concerns. They will be fine. Hiring a Swedish coach for that reason would be incredibly dumb.

Reactions: Wisent42

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Nolan, Konecny, Hart, Provorov, Sanheim are really screwed I guess...
They have experienced leaders in the face of Giroux, Voracek, Couturier, Gostisbehere, JVR, and we have mostly young people in leadership positions. I'm not saying Vigneault is a bad coach, on the contrary, but I'm not sure he would be good for Buffalo, maybe Keefe or Gronborg makes more sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad