Sabres Head Coach Search 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
If Taylor isn’t hired I won’t be mad....

BUT if we hire a mediocre vet coach and Taylor gets an NHL HC job somewhere else and succeeds....I’m rioting.
Toronto has denied Keefe interviews for 2 or 3 years now, maybe even longer. If they believe Taylor is the future hes going nowhere.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Toronto has denied Keefe interviews for 2 or 3 years now, maybe even longer.

How can this be? I’ve never heard of such a thing.

Minor and Assistant coaches contracts always have an “NHL out” that allows them to interview for NHL head coach jobs. That’s what I’ve always heard.

What coach would sign a minor league contract that would block them from an NHL gig?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Call me picky but I think Taylor should have to coach at least one playoff win in the AHL before he gets any consideration for the Sabres job.

Reactions: Chippah

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Yeah, in Rochester.
I actually doubt that. It would hurt Rochester. The guy's only been a head coach for 2 years.

Todd Nelson is intriguing though. Not what I was looking for, but I'm use to not getting the coaches I want.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
How can this be? I’ve never heard of such a thing.

Minor and Assistant coaches contracts always have an “NHL out” that allows them to interview for NHL head coach jobs. That’s what I’ve always heard.

What coach would sign a minor league contract that would block them from an NHL gig?

It's at the discretion of their team. In fact the discontinued draft pick compensation system was intended to be an incentive for teams to grant permission to interview their management people.
NHL to end coach and executive compensation policy

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Yeah, in Rochester.

Praying you’re talking about a coach in the physical place at the moment and not the one named to the post. Because one of these two coaches is about to go 0-4 in AHL playoff games.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The thing with Ruff, is that he’s most effective when he has a guy that takes control of the room from a player leadership point of view. At his best he had Peca, Barnes, and Drury to take the locker room. He didn’t need to rely on being the leader of the room. He could focus on his matchups and game planning.

When he didn’t have those type of guys, his teams played awful and the room was a mess. The way Ruff likes to play, I kind of question whether Jack would go all in on Ruff and back him as captain.

Hiring Ruff as head coach kind of gives me pause. I would though be open to hiring him as an assistant if allowed.
This is a cogent and compelling argument. That said, I’m still not swayed toward the opinion that Ruff would be either an awful hire, or a purely nostalgic hire. If they hire him, I think it’d because they think he is the best available veteran head coach, and I think that would be a fair evaluation.

Again, give me Sheldon Keefe, or possibly Todd Nelson. But there are no longer any vet head coaches on the market that are slam dunks over Lindy, in my opinion.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
I'm all in for Les Grossman to motivate these
tumblr_mb3l9xTkvC1qeiqtwo3_250.gif

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My sources are telling me we are on the verge of signing one of the biggest legends in hockey history to be our next coach:
FB_IMG_1552190853816.jpg

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This is a cogent and compelling argument. That said, I’m still not swayed toward the opinion that Ruff would be either an awful hire, or a purely nostalgic hire. If they hire him, I think it’d because they think he is the best available veteran head coach, and I think that would be a fair evaluation.

Again, give me Sheldon Keefe, or possibly Todd Nelson. But there are no longer any vet head coaches on the market that are slam dunks over Lindy, in my opinion.

Just giving the opinion of some hang ups about Ruff that I’ve seen, which appears to be a growing concern with the state of leadership on the Buffalo Sabres. I didn’t even get into Ruff’s horrible goaltending handling he’s shown in the past with any level of talent he has between the pipes.

Any coach Buffalo is going to hire us going to come with question marks. There’s not a perfect choice out there. What Buffalo needs to do is narrow down to what they want their next coach to do. Is your goal to change the attitude of the room? Is your goal to be competitive as possible? Are you using your NHL coach for development purposes? Is your coach just a guy to put behind the bench to do the GMs will? You most likely aren’t finding a guy to do all the above. Maybe 2 of those things at once with the options we have.

Reactions: truthbluth

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
#SuperSecretSource just told me Botterill was thinking hard about his next head coach last night, scratched his head, and then let out a fart.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Just giving the opinion of some hang ups about Ruff that I’ve seen, which appears to be a growing concern with the state of leadership on the Buffalo Sabres. I didn’t even get into Ruff’s horrible goaltending handling he’s shown in the past with any level of talent he has between the pipes.

Any coach Buffalo is going to hire us going to come with question marks. There’s not a perfect choice out there. What Buffalo needs to do is narrow down to what they want their next coach to do. Is your goal to change the attitude of the room? Is your goal to be competitive as possible? Are you using your NHL coach for development purposes? Is your coach just a guy to put behind the bench to do the GMs will? You most likely aren’t finding a guy to do all the above. Maybe 2 of those things at once with the options we have.
Here are the things our next coaching hire MUST be able to do:

Make us a credible NHL team again

Male us a credible NHL team again

Make us a credible NHL team again.

Everything else is just piss and wind.

Reactions: Chainshot

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Call me picky but I think Taylor should have to coach at least one playoff win in the AHL before he gets any consideration for the Sabres job.
Anything less than beating the Marlies in this series is a disappointment IMO.

The Amerks were the better team all year and beat the Marlies 5 out of 6 times in the regular season.

Plus, the Leafs are in the playoffs and called up 3 of the Marlies best players, including their #1 goalie.

The Amerks on the other hand got numerous players from buffalo to boost their lineup.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I would like to excange the no leaks policy for more proactive front office any day.

Sidenote:I hope they don't hire Taylor if he not at least takes his team to the finals with one of the better AHL rosters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad