Sabres Head Coach Search 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Ruff won with this franchise. Bylsma (who already had a shot with this nucleus) and Nolan didn't.
FB_IMG_1555699084585.jpg

Re: Nolan: See the 4th banner from the right.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Or, ignoring the impulse to be hyperbolic, we simply focus on the coach with 736 career wins, who hasn't yet turned 60, has, since being drafted in 1979, only been out of the NHL in the 91-93 seasons in the twilight of his playing career, and was a head coach just 2 seasons ago, and won the Western Conference regular season with 109 points with behind Kari Lehtonen's stellar .906 sv %.just 3 years ago

I'm not in the, "it's gotta be Lindy," camp. I'm in the, "I don't understand why it would be horrible," camp. The arguments against his defensive system don't hold a lot of water for me. They were an above 50% possession team in his last season with Dallas, when their goalies combined couldn't even muster a .900 sv %. The Sabres rosters in his last few seasons were abysmal. I still want a young, progressive coach, but if we go Lindy, and the story is that they absolutely wanted an experienced NHL head coach to handle this young locker room, I wouldn't find a single thing wrong with that choice.

Reactions: Bferra13

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Is it just us and Anaheim right now looking for a coach? If so, there's literally no hurry to get our guy first.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
A trip through Buffalo history: 2009-2013 Eakins popularity on this board surges. Bandied about as HC candidate. Edmonton hire - relieved after eighteen months on the job. Bullet dodged? Untenable position?

Keefe gets to play the role of Eakins in 2019.

Sabres: Still the Oilers of the Eastern Conference. Sabres: Pittsburgh's hand-me-down-wearing little brother. Low key sick of both those labels.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
According to prophecy in the Book of Luce, they will develop stigmata that will spontaneously resolve when Taylor ascends to the head coaching position.

Earlier in that book, it shows all the signs of the Houspocalypse. The Stigmata is one, as are the French Connection tears. Rather unusual, in the days leading to the ascension of Taylor, the people begin begging for the return of kings past.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Or, ignoring the impulse to be hyperbolic, we simply focus on the coach with 736 career wins, who hasn't yet turned 60, has, since being drafted in 1979, only been out of the NHL in the 91-93 seasons in the twilight of his playing career, and was a head coach just 2 seasons ago, and won the Western Conference regular season with 109 points with behind Kari Lehtonen's stellar .906 sv %.just 3 years ago

I'm not in the, "it's gotta be Lindy," camp. I'm in the, "I don't understand why it would be horrible," camp. The arguments against his defensive system don't hold a lot of water for me. They were an above 50% possession team in his last season with Dallas, when their goalies combined couldn't even muster a .900 sv %. The Sabres rosters in his last few seasons were abysmal. I still want a young, progressive coach, but if we go Lindy, and the story is that they absolutely wanted an experienced NHL head coach to handle this young locker room, I wouldn't find a single thing wrong with that choice.

The thing with Ruff, is that he’s most effective when he has a guy that takes control of the room from a player leadership point of view. At his best he had Peca, Barnes, and Drury to take the locker room. He didn’t need to rely on being the leader of the room. He could focus on his matchups and game planning.

When he didn’t have those type of guys, his teams played awful and the room was a mess. The way Ruff likes to play, I kind of question whether Jack would go all in on Ruff and back him as captain.

Hiring Ruff as head coach kind of gives me pause. I would though be open to hiring him as an assistant if allowed.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Would any other team be considering Ruff as HC? Doubtful. His defensive systems were always dreadful.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
As Sabres continue to look for their next coach, Chris...

Taylor is growing on me.

Adjusts mid-game? Check
Knows how to communicate with players? Check
Player deployment? Unsure
HC Experience? Only 2 years in AHL, but that's gotta be better than a few years as an assistant. Still, this is the biggest knock on him.
If Taylor isn’t hired I won’t be mad....

BUT if we hire a mediocre vet coach and Taylor gets an NHL HC job somewhere else and succeeds....I’m rioting.

Hire the guy if you think he’s got what it takes. They should know. I think he has a pretty good chance of succeeding in the NHL based on what I’ve seen from him.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
If he can get the Sabres to play the way the Amerks are playing right now, count me in. The only problem is that we'd need to replace him in Rochester.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I prefer a simpler test.

We place a box full of gardening gloves between the locker rooms with a sign that clearly states: "Free Gardening Gloves". If either coach takes a pair, they're out.

If neither one takes the bait, give them bottles of water for the postgame pressers.

Reactions: jBuds
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad