Sabres Head Coach Search 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Also, I trust zero media leaks during the Botterill era, because one thing he's great at is not letting anything get out.

We're probably interviewing Martin with 10 other guys, and the only reason this got out is because we had to ask permission, which opens a door for people finding things out from things out of Jason's control.

I doubt we hire him

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
17152dd137d39aaa25d81e4a89dcd7d1.jpg

What about Jacques Cousteau?

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If you look at the coaches that have made the playoffs and won the Cup lately, how many are first time NHL head coaches versus guys on their 2+ NHL team?

I think the mix leans towards the "retread" coaches getting to the playoffs, at least.

SC Winners since 05/06:

Laviolette -- retread; Coached Isles before Canes
Carlyle -- 2nd year in his 1st NHL HC gig
Babcock -- retread; Ducks before Wings
Bylsma -- 1st year as NHL HC
Q x 3 -- 3rd stint; Avs and Blues before Hawks
Sutter x 2 -- 4th stint; Hawks, Sharks, Flames before Kings
Julien -- 3rd stint; Devils and Habs before Bruins
Sullivan -- 2nd stint; Bruins before Pens
Trotz -- 2nd stint; Preds before Caps

So of the SC Winning coaches since the lockout -- 7 of the 9 winning coaches have been "retreads" and 10 of the 12 Cups have been won by "retreads".

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
You are ignoring his relevant experience. The stuff you are talking about is from 25 years ago.

He has had two coaching jobs post lockout. He took the panthers from 4th in the Southeast to....4th in the southeast. 3 years in a row!

And this was when the southeast was just awful .

Then he took over the Canadians. He took a 2nd place Habs team to a 4th place Habs squad, rode Halak one post season to the Conf Finals. Did slightly better the next year during the regular season, then got canned the next

If we're going to hire coaches that shined during the clutch and grab era, might as well bring back Ruff.

There's a reason why Martin isn't a head coach in the league right now. And it's not because the other 30 teams don't know what WE know. It's because he's a bad NHL coach in the modern era.

I'd be fine with him as an assistant. As the person who dictates our style of play, a big no thanks.

I wasn’t arguing in favor of Martin. I was just trying to find some positives about a potential Martin hire.

It’s just how I am, I guess.
All of this stuff is out of my control. They don’t ask my opinion before hiring any of these guys (which is a big mistake. They totally should! :wg:). So I usually try to look for positives instead of negatives.

I would prefer someone else, but if Martin is hired, right or wrong I’ll find reasons to support the hire.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I wasn’t arguing in favor of Martin. I was just trying to find some positives about a potential Martin hire.

It’s just how I am, I guess.
All of this stuff is out of my control. They don’t ask my opinion before hiring any of these guys (which is a big mistake. They totally should! :wg:). So I usually try to look for positives instead of negatives.

I would prefer someone else, but if Martin is hired, right or wrong I’ll find reasons to support the hire.

:huh:

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
I wonder if any other coaches lose their jobs this off season. Maybe waiting is GMJB best option right now.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Laviolette to Buffalo would be like Point to Buffalo.

Best possible scenario this off-season, and no chance it happens
Nashville fans are a lot more rational than leaf and lightning fans seem to be. I don't see anyone calling for Laviolette's head, yet. They know they have a good thing.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
SC Winners since 05/06:

Laviolette -- retread; Coached Isles before Canes
Carlyle -- 2nd year in his 1st NHL HC gig
Babcock -- retread; Ducks before Wings
Bylsma -- 1st year as NHL HC
Q x 3 -- 3rd stint; Avs and Blues before Hawks
Sutter x 2 -- 4th stint; Hawks, Sharks, Flames before Kings
Julien -- 3rd stint; Devils and Habs before Bruins
Sullivan -- 2nd stint; Bruins before Pens
Trotz -- 2nd stint; Preds before Caps

So of the SC Winning coaches since the lockout -- 7 of the 9 winning coaches have been "retreads" and 10 of the 12 Cups have been won by "retreads".

I dont consider guys on their 2nd HC jobs retreads

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'd take Jacques Clouseau.

If we're hiring dead people I want Toe Blake.
How about combine the two? Hire Peter Sellers and remake Dr. Strangelove. Only this time, title it "Dr. Strange Love of the Sabres" and subtitle it "How I learned to stop worrying and love losing." I don't know if it would work, but it would fit the fear of drafting Russians subplot.

Reactions: Moncton man

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
'I like to break barriers': How Swedish national team coach...

Great article on the Athletic by John Vogl on Rikard Grönborg. It has some quotes from Grönborg.

Give me a few and I’ll post some quotes.

I really like a lot of what he says.

Love that he has a masters degree in leadership/management. IMO the Sabres need a true leader that will get all these players to buy-in and follow (kinda like what Trotz has done in NY. not saying Grönborg can do the same, just that we need a guy that can truly get everyone on the same page and working hard toward the same goal).

I like Gronborg but it raises red flags when I see the word "holistic". Had "off the charts", "egregious" or "optics" appeared in the article I would have disqualified him outright. I think he has a chance to be a flagship coach. I disqualified myself as a coaching candidate for using "raises red flags" and "checks all the boxes" in my posts.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
How about combine the two? Hire Peter Sellers and remake Dr. Strangelove. Only this time, title it "Dr. Strange Love of the Sabres" and subtitle it "How I learned to stop worrying and love losing." I don't know if it would work, but it would fit the fear of drafting Russians subplot.
We could use a man with Cousteau's skills. If we don't re-sign Skinner, we'll need a diving coach.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
'I like to break barriers': How Swedish national team coach...

Great article on the Athletic by John Vogl on Rikard Grönborg. It has some quotes from Grönborg.

Give me a few and I’ll post some quotes.

I really like a lot of what he says.

Love that he has a masters degree in leadership/management. IMO the Sabres need a true leader that will get all these players to buy-in and follow (kinda like what Trotz has done in NY. not saying Grönborg can do the same, just that we need a guy that can truly get everyone on the same page and working hard toward the same goal).
I got a subscription for the Athletic just to read the article. He seems really articulate and overall a really smart guy so I wouldn't be at all disappointed if he ended up being the new coach.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo

"You can't play hockey here! This is the war room!"

Reactions: Moncton man

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I got a subscription for the Athletic just to read the article. He seems really articulate and overall a really smart guy so I wouldn't be at all disappointed if he ended up being the new coach.

Read the article. I like him. He might end up luring some Swedish free agents to Buffalo as well. Karlsson is out there, but there are also some good short-term fixes out there: Edler, Stralman, Kruger, Johansson, Nyqvist, Gunnarsson, Nemeth. Might even help in a William Karlsson trade or maybe motivate a guy like Wennberg.

He also used the word "situation." Botterill had to notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad