Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He’s been trying to twist himself into a pretzel attempting to convince anyone who will listen that Antipin should have gone to the AHL.

It couldn’t possibly be that he was under utilized. Not used properly when he was in the lineup. And not given a healthy chunk of games to work through any warts he did have.
Nope… That couldn’t possibly be the reason. It must be that he is only AHL quality. :biglaugh:

It’s not far fetched to suggest he start in the AHL.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hearing his coach talk about how good he was in the '17 playoff run and how he grew over the course of the last couple of seasons, still very intrigued by what the Sabres may have with him here. Let's hope he gets the opportunity to show what he can become.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'd bet on a Pilut v Guhle competition coming down to the final days of pre-season. With one of them winning a 3rd pair spot in Buffalo, and other starting on the top pair in Rochester.

right now:
Scandella-Risto
McCabe-Dahlin
Pilut/Guhle-Bogo
x Beaulieu, Nelson

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I'd bet on a Pilut v Guhle competition coming down to the final days of pre-season. With one of them winning a 3rd pair spot in Buffalo, and other starting on the top pair in Rochester.

right now:
Scandella-Risto
McCabe-Dahlin
Pilut/Guhle-Bogo
x Beaulieu, Nelson

Why does McCabe get a roster spot and a top 4 spot at that when only Beaulieu was worse? He should have to compete against Guhle and Pilut as well.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Why does McCabe get a roster spot and a top 4 spot at that when only Beaulieu was worse? He should have to compete against Guhle and Pilut as well.

"right now"... meant to imply a starting point.

I sure hope the best player gets the job.... but Housley/Botts didn't take that approach last year, so.... i doubt it will change this year.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo

right now:
Scandella-Risto
McCabe-Dahlin
Pilut/Guhle-Bogo
x Beaulieu, Nelson
I haven’t watched enough of Dahlin to know if having him on the right side is realistic but I was assuming he’d be a LD. If he can flip that would help our depth a ton, and give Pilut a better shot at making it (to keep things thread appropriate)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

right now:
Scandella-Risto
McCabe-Dahlin
Pilut/Guhle-Bogo
x Beaulieu, Nelson

I think it’s cute that you gave Bogo the benefit of the doubt on being healthy at camp.

Reactions: Vito_81 and Fearnot

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

right now:
Scandella-Risto
McCabe-Dahlin
Pilut/Guhle-Bogo
x Beaulieu, Nelson
You don't think they'll keep the meatballs together if Pilut wins that battle? Maybe standing back at the red line while RD does his thing isn't the best course anyway.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If Nelson plays like last season the spot should be his.

Beaulieu

CF% -----> 48%
SF% -----> 49%
SCF% ---> 46%
HDCF% -> 47%
GF% -----> 42%
HDGF% -> 38%
OZS% ---> 51%

Nelson

CF% -----> 48%
SF% -----> 49%
SCF% ---> 46%
HDCF% -> 45%
GF% -----> 35%
HDGF% -> 34%
OZS% ----> 50%

Tennyson

CF% -----> 47%
SF% -----> 46%
SCF% ---> 46%
HDCF% -> 42%
GF% -----> 35%
HDGF% -> 38%
OZS% ----> 49%

Two whipping boys and a golden boy of sorts. Amazing how much early season play and narratives colored opinions on the two whipping boys, Beaulieu in particular. Leaving the door open for much more understanding for Nelson by the time he got here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fezzy126 and Icicle

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Beaulieu

CF% -----> 48%
SF% -----> 49%
SCF% ---> 46%
HDCF% -> 47%
GF% -----> 42%
HDGF% -> 38%
OZS% ---> 51%

Nelson

CF% -----> 48%
SF% -----> 49%
SCF% ---> 46%
HDCF% -> 45%
GF% -----> 35%
HDGF% -> 34%
OZS% ----> 50%

Tennyson

CF% -----> 47%
SF% -----> 46%
SCF% ---> 46%
HDCF% -> 42%
GF% -----> 35%
HDGF% -> 38%
OZS% ----> 49%

Two whipping boys and a golden boy of sorts. Amazing how much season long narratives colored opinions of each.
None of these should be anything more than 7D on the team. And I don't think any of them will be so I don't think there is any point discussing this. Regardless of the stats Nelson looked more solid than NB and MT, but we absolutely need 3 better RDs than him.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Beaulieu

CF% -----> 48%
SF% -----> 49%
SCF% ---> 46%
HDCF% -> 47%
GF% -----> 42%
HDGF% -> 38%
OZS% ---> 51%

Nelson

CF% -----> 48%
SF% -----> 49%
SCF% ---> 46%
HDCF% -> 45%
GF% -----> 35%
HDGF% -> 34%
OZS% ----> 50%

Tennyson

CF% -----> 47%
SF% -----> 46%
SCF% ---> 46%
HDCF% -> 42%
GF% -----> 35%
HDGF% -> 38%
OZS% ----> 49%

Two whipping boys and a golden boy of sorts. Amazing how much early season play and narratives colored opinions on the two whipping boys, Beaulieu in particular. Leaving the door open for much more understanding for Nelson by the time he got here.

I wonder how much of that similarity is sample size and role. I don’t remember how many games they all had at the beginning of the season, but by my eye test Nelson was one thing before xmas and another thing after.

Tennyson was a boring pylon.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Nelson was too inconsistent to be just handed a roster spot.
At the end of next season Pilut will be a regular at least at the 3rd pairing, 2PP.
That's my bet.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
I wonder how much of that similarity is sample size and role. I don’t remember how many games they all had at the beginning of the season, but by my eye test Nelson was one thing before xmas and another thing after.

Tennyson was a boring pylon.

Well I'd ask you look away if you go to Natural Stat Trick and look at Nelsons #s with Scandella, Risto, and Beaulieu...because its ugly. For example a 67% offensive faceoff zone start Nelson with Beaulieu and they had a 40% CF. Nelson played well with Guhle, Gorges, and Antipin though.

Beaulieu #s aren't terrible with Risto but not good either. Beaulieu has really bad #s with Gorges, Antipin, Falk, and the aforementioned Nelson. Oddly good numbers with Tennyson, so whenever I defended Tennyson when they were on a line together maybe I was onto something. :laugh:

Looking at this idk what can be said other than Beaulieu was about the same throughout the lineup and Nelson struggled on top pairings but played much better in a limited role. Neither should be anything other than a 7D so in a limited role Nelson was much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad