Confirmed with Link: Sabres have signed Lawrence Pilut (LD, HV71)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm still not on the Nelson bandwagon. His small interval of "good play" was akin to the times when Montador would have a string of solid games, then slip back into the reality of depth defenseman issues --- bad pinches, lost battles, poor passing, and turnovers -- that plague depth defensemen.

Pilut could be a very direct challenge to Beaulieu's presence on the every day roster. He's likely to need time to adjust, though his confidence is likely to be much higher than Beaulieu's based on how their last two seasons have played out.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I wonder how much of that similarity is sample size and role. I don’t remember how many games they all had at the beginning of the season, but by my eye test Nelson was one thing before xmas and another thing after.

Tennyson was a boring pylon.

I think the similarity was mostly due to our team play.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Filtered for 200mins played gives you 11 dmen.

8 of 11 had CF% ranging from 47-49%
8 of 11 had SF% of 46-50%
9 of 11 had SCF% of 45-48%
7 of 11 had HDCF% of 45-47%
7 of 11 had GF% of 41-44%
8 of 11 had HDGF% of 33 to 40% (that is really ugly and I would put a lot of that on the goalies)
8 of 11 had OZS% of 49% or better

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'm still not on the Nelson bandwagon. His small interval of "good play" was akin to the times when Montador would have a string of solid games, then slip back into the reality of depth defenseman issues --- bad pinches, lost battles, poor passing, and turnovers -- that plague depth defensemen.

Pilut could be a very direct challenge to Beaulieu's presence on the every day roster. He's likely to need time to adjust, though his confidence is likely to be much higher than Beaulieu's based on how their last two seasons have played out.

On the left side, Pilut among others are going to really give him a run. My biggest question about Pilut making the starting 6 (and others) is where they will use Dahlin.

If Dahlin plays the left side and its him and Scandella in the top 4 spots. That creates one hell of a dog fight between McCabe, Guhle, Pilut and Beaulieu for the 3rd spot on the left. But it also opens a spot on the right with Bogo/Nelson battling potentially McCabe and Beaulieu (the two lefties Housley used on the right side) for two spots behind Risto.

If Dahlin plays the right side then its 2 spots instead 1 open for battle between McCabe, Guhle, Beaulieu and Pilut.

Typing this out really brings home the battles to come on the back end in camp. Assuming no other moves of course.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
On the left side, Pilut among others are going to really give him a run. My biggest question about Pilut making the starting 6 (and others) is where they will use Dahlin.

If Dahlin plays the left side and its him and Scandella in the top 4 spots. That creates one hell of a dog fight between McCabe, Guhle, Pilut and Beaulieu for the 3rd spot on the left. But it also opens a spot on the right with Bogo/Nelson battling potentially McCabe and Beaulieu (the two lefties Housley used on the right side) for two spots behind Risto.

If Dahlin plays the right side then its 2 spots instead 1 open for battle between McCabe, Guhle, Beaulieu and Pilut.

Typing this out really brings home the battles to come on the back end in camp. Assuming no other moves of course.

Seems like awhile since we have seen real "battles" for roster spots.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Well as long as Nathan Blowhard isn't on the starting roster next year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Yeah, I'm curious where they slot Dahlin as a function of who winds up where. Looking at the RD options, it almost seems like an easier depth option to have Dahlin on RD but... we don't know. It would still work to find the d-zone guy on RD to allow them to have a McKeen-Warrener or Tallinder-Lydman sort of pair.

Would they try working Pilut in on the right side at some point? I'm curious to see what they wind up doing.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yeah, I'm curious where they slot Dahlin as a function of who winds up where. Looking at the RD options, it almost seems like an easier depth option to have Dahlin on RD but... we don't know. It would still work to find the d-zone guy on RD to allow them to have a McKeen-Warrener or Tallinder-Lydman sort of pair.

Would they try working Pilut in on the right side at some point? I'm curious to see what they wind up doing.

It’s supremely frustrating Bogo’s health is so unreliable. Because Scandella/Bogo would be a decent option to try in the matchup role. I know Bogo has his brain farts but his skating can make up for enough of them that he could be effective. Combine that with what Scandella brings and they could be a moderately effective matchup pair to start. Maybe grow from there (or not).

But it would then allow the possibility of a Dahlin/Risto pairing that doesn't have the top matchup to worry about. Which could be a lot of fun.

Then you’d have Pilut involved in a crazy battle with Guhle, Nelson, McCabe and Beaulieu to be on the bottom pairing. In that scenario Pilut might very well get a look on the right side.

This fantasy could still be tried but Bogo could blow it up any moment with an injury. I guess if Bogo lasted long enough into the season. There could be one of the guys in the bottom pairing battle ready to step in for him on Scandella’s right side. Assuming of course Dahlin plays on the left. Camp can’t get here fast enough. :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It’s supremely frustrating Bogo’s health is so unreliable. Because Scandella/Bogo would be a decent option to try in the matchup role. I know Bogo has his brain farts but his skating can make up for enough of them that he could be effective. Combine that with what Scandella brings and they could be a moderately effective matchup pair to start. Maybe grow from there (or not).

But it would then allow the possibility of a Dahlin/Risto pairing that doesn't have the top matchup to worry about. Which could be a lot of fun.

Then you’d have Pilut involved in a crazy battle with Guhle, Nelson, McCabe and Beaulieu to be on the bottom pairing. In that scenario Pilut might very well get a look on the right side.

This fantasy could still be tried but Bogo could blow it up any moment with an injury. I guess if Bogo lasted long enough into the season. There could be one of the guys in the bottom pairing battle ready to step in for him on Scandella’s right side. Assuming of course Dahlin plays on the left. Camp can’t get here fast enough. :laugh:

Scandella-Bogo might have the makings of Enstrom-Bogo. I just wish DJ Broke Goes In could be relied on for anything at this point. He's so frustrating. Bleh - my coffee turns sour just thinking about the wasted potential there.

McCabe for his shot suppression might be a candidate to cover for a rangy offensive player like Pilut. That could give them time to let Guhle push through.

Or we just let them have a giant free-for-all in camp. Phil will have some interesting decisions to make if he's looking at having some players who might make some mistakes out of commission (say, PMD's who get caught up ice or cause chances against) vs. safer player for immediate results vs. long-term growth. It's part of what caught me out about Phil this past year once the season had slipped so far out of grasp - the opportunity to work on young players in game situations where they could have had rounded those edges off without punitive action for miscues that lead to GA. So coming back around, I'm hoping for a wide open camp and it'll be interesting to see who is working with who.

Dahlin-Risto as a "2nd pair" power couple though -- that's an interesting, interesting idea.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
You guys are making this too hard. Just figure out which players match up the best as D partners, then make them switch hands/sticks if they need to. I mean, guys like Blow and Bogo can't be any worse playing opposite handed right?

Reactions: Dingo44

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012

My order would be Guhle, Pilut, McCabe, Bye-lieu.
Maybe its better to give Pilut some time in the AHL to adjust to the NA game.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
You guys are making this too hard. Just figure out which players match up the best as D partners, then make them switch hands/sticks if they need to. I mean, guys like Blow and Bogo can't be any worse playing opposite handed right?
Bogo was good playing the left on a pair with Risto.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Bogo was good playing the left on a pair with Risto.

If they can just sign one more top 4 guy with strong d skill,

Scandella ufa
Bogo/McCabe Risto
Pilut/Guhle Dahlin

Man I think signing a quality veteran defender is imperative this summer. The depth is so necessary and Dahlin’s cheap contract lets you spend extra.

Another Scandella level add at the minimum.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I still have hopes for McCabe.

There could very well be a player to salvage out of the muck of the last two years. If that's a third-pairing shot suppression/PK guy who can give a little physical element and maybe fill in up the lineup on a limited basis, great.

Reactions: DJN21

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Nice to hear Greeley saying they were already onto Pilut last year and were the first team to meet with him back in November which he feels made a difference in the decision to go with Buffalo. Speaks well of either Jan-Axel Alavaara who has left for Mannheim and/or Teppo who seems like the only named scout for that area now.

06-08 Sabres assistant general manager Steve Greeley with Howard and Jeremy

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Odd... most people born in Detroit have such thick accents!

My girlfriend is from Detroit and has no accent - and she doesn't think I have an accent either. But people from outside the Midwest hear that nasally twang, apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad