Sabres fire Housley

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Damn, This news still feels so good so many hours later. There is hope for my hockey team again.

..until the introduction of our new coach, Violet Beauregarde!

She's young, she's unproven, but my god can she gob some gum.
hb-button-violet-beauregarde.png

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Eichel just strikes me as a college frat boy. I don't think they can win with him at the helm. Trading the new Selke winner didn't help.

Watching Eichel play, he plays so slow for someone who is such a good skater with good physical attributes. It's like he doesn't take advantage of his skill set.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Watching Eichel play, he plays so slow for someone who is such a good skater with good physical attributes. It's like he doesn't take advantage of his skill set.
Agreed. He needs to use that speed more. Having a good coach in his ear would help with that.

“Relieved of his duties” I always found that a funny saying
Lol. I hadn't even considered the potty humor angle.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Wasn't a knock on AV (at least in NY) that he wasn't good at developing and giving chances to young players? Maybe that was because of the Rangers were still competing when he was coach, but if that's the case, it seems like that would be an odd choice for Buffalo.

Reactions: sabremike

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This trend has to stop, stability in coaching is what will bring out the best in the Sabres.

For what it's worth Housley did a decent job with what he had to work with.

Housley took every available opportunity to leverage the assets he had to his disadvantage. He was terrible. There are a number of teams with less talent on their roster than the Sabres who did better this year, and that's 100% on coaching.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Wasn't a knock on AV (at least in NY) that he wasn't good at developing and giving chances to young players? Maybe that was because of the Rangers were still competing when he was coach, but if that's the case, it seems like that would be an odd choice for Buffalo.

Yeah, but it's a weird knock because when you look at the young players fans were getting upset about AV's usage of, turns out AV was usually right.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I think AV is more interested in a playoff/cup contender.

Artemis Clyde Frog

Feb 1, 2019
He way too man indefensible decisions this year to save his job. In the technology age you can quantify decisions and correct the bad ones and continue with the good ones.

Phil just made so many decisions that defied evidence and logic. The list is long, but:

Not sending Thompson to the AHL sooner or just not playing him at all until Botts did.
Scratching Pilut too often. Also not playing him with Risto at ES when it was the only partner Risto had that wasnt a net negative possession wise.
Playing Reinhart with Eichel after he proved he could contribute and drive a line away from him.
Taking Skinner away from Eichel instead of Reinhart.
Continually playing Risto top minutes even when Dahlin showed he could be the #1 on the team.
Not playing someone like Pomminville with Eichel. ANYONE SCORES WITH EICHEL PUT BETTER PLAYERS DOWN THE LINEUP

I would bash my head against the wall over some of these obviously wrong coaching decisions he made week after week.

I dont know the relationship he had with JB, but if a player should have gone down or come up, he should have atleast had some say in that.

It doesnt help he is the most boring person I have ever hear speak either. My god.

Agree with most you are saying but for me the dump and chase was way too overused in Housley's way of playing. And instead of using the D-men on offensive blue they rather dump the puck behind goal and loose it. Was clear Nylander and Olofsson hadn't become brainwashed enough always to do that and used the D-men well in the offense at the end.

Also the defenders backing home to their own blue as soon as they might loose the puck instead of standing their ground on offensive blue, allowing opponents to just take the puck in and establish. Many forwards too lazy in defensive zone as well according to me, and goalies simply not good enough. Been many odd things in Buffalo's way of playing all season, according to me.

Artemis Clyde Frog

Feb 1, 2019
I know many in NA were sceptical towards foreign players many years ago, and as a European I get the sense it's a bit the same about coaches now as well.

As a Swede I would love seeing Rikard Grönborg get the chance as HC of Buffalo! He started his coaching career in NA as well and has said coaching NHL is the dream. His mega success as HC of Team Sweden is coming to an end after this WC. So it all kinda fits.

So how you take this? Will I be mocked like Börje Salming was in the beginning as a foreigner, or does Grönborg have a chance to start a new era with successful foreign managers, like the success of foreign players?

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Damn, This news still feels so good so many hours later. There is hope for my hockey team again.

I wish I felt the same...

I won’t have hope until I see who we hire to replace housley.

I really think we need a well respected veteran coach. But...

There are a lot of teams looking for head coaches right now. I’m not sure how high on the list Buffalo is right now for coaches with options.
We’ve fired a coach every 2 years and haven’t finished above 8th last in years.

Just hoping we get this hire right. We absolutely have to if we want any chance at competing in the Atlantic anytime soon,

frivolousz21

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS ST LOUIS BLUES
May 17, 2007
St. Louis, Mo
I know many in NA were sceptical towards foreign players many years ago, and as a European I get the sense it's a bit the same about coaches now as well.

As a Swede I would love seeing Rikard Grönborg get the chance as HC of Buffalo! He started his coaching career in NA as well and has said coaching NHL is the dream. His mega success as HC of Team Sweden is coming to an end after this WC. So it all kinda fits.

So how you take this? Will I be mocked like Börje Salming was in the beginning as a foreigner, or does Grönborg have a chance to start a new era with successful foreign managers, like the success of foreign players?

As long as he speaks fluent English there is no problem.

Reactions: Mortiz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad