Sabres fire Housley

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Oh thank goodness it happened . Anything but replacing Housley would've been just wrong after the two seasons he coached the team to. Especially how the team completely imploded in the second half was a dead giveaway there was something wrong between coach and team

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
What's the coach and GM casualty count in Buffalo now over the last 5 seasons?
5 years would be Nolan, Bylsma, Housley, and whoever they pick next. Go back a more year, you can add Lindy and Roloson.

3 GM's - Darcy, Murray, and Big Head Botts.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
I know you can't draw too many conclusions from a 24/7 series to judge a coach, but when Housley talked in the room, he just sounded like a complete pushover and joke. Didn't seem like he commanded the room at all.
Yep. Didn't earn respect of the room and you could tell. He wasn't a guy they could follow into battle.

We've had 4 bad coaches in a row. Praying we finally hire one that other teams would actually be interested in having as their coach.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I know Buffalo gets criticized, but that was Ron Rolston level coaching for the last two years. One of the most stubborn least creative coaches I’ve ever seen. Something doesn’t work? keep at it for half a season. Sam Reinhart played ZERO games at centre this season, a guy who was as pure as a centre gets in junior. That’s ridiculous for a team that was brutal down the middle.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Terrible hire from the get-go. No previous head coaching experience (at least coaching men) and his personality and demeanor is just obviously wrong for a head guy.

He’s definitely a terrific person, but being an NHL coach takes a pretty thick skinned guy who can handle 20 alpha males. He’s probably a great assistant, and at the end of the day I bet he’d be happier as an assistant.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Is there any coaches left? Isn’t that 8 vacancies now? Could 2 drop with early exits? Has to be probably the most job openings in one summer ever

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There wasn't any coach who was going to be able to survive the collapse the Sabres had. I think Botterill has a lot of work to do with that team and fixing them definitely won't be an easy task.

Reactions: Marner to Matthews

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad