GDT: Sabres @ Avalanche | Wednesday January 20 2016 | 8PM MT | The Return of Jame Mcginn

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Grigs right now is what Redmond was last year to everyone...Most wanted Roy to play Redmond over guys like Holden/Geunin. Every time Redmond made a pass up the ice you had 20 posts of OMG WHAT A PASS. See so much better than Holden/Geunin, why can't Roy see this? As soon as Redmond played a little more games, everyone soured on him. There's really not much of a difference in them if at all.

Same thing with Grigs right now. He honestly hasn't showed anything up to this point. He has flashes of ok hockey but for the most part, he's been bland. To the point where it really makes no difference if he's playing or not. Sure he's talented but the guy isn't showing it. Timing is ticking on this kid and as of right now he's a bust. Who people shouldn't really pin their hopes on.

There's a very, very different situation between Redmond and Grigorenko.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Grigs right now is what Redmond was last year to everyone...Most wanted Roy to play Redmond over guys like Holden/Geunin. Every time Redmond made a pass up the ice you had 20 posts of OMG WHAT A PASS. See so much better than Holden/Geunin, why can't Roy see this? As soon as Redmond played a little more games, everyone soured on him. There's really not much of a difference in them if at all.

Same thing with Grigs right now. He honestly hasn't showed anything up to this point. He has flashes of ok hockey but for the most part, he's been bland. To the point where it really makes no difference if he's playing or not. Sure he's talented but the guy isn't showing it. Timing is ticking on this kid and as of right now he's a bust. Who people shouldn't really pin their hopes on.

While I personally think you are wrong, I admit it's possible that he'll flame out. I've really liked his game though

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO

So what? I know he has had bland games, but he played well tonight. He deserved more ice time than he got. More importantly, he isn't playing as poorly as Tanguay and Martinsen in his limited ice time. He isn't the same as Redmond because Redmond absolutely makes a difference on the ice, in a bad way. Grigs, even when invisible isn't a liability, which you can't say about Tanguay

edit: also, the kid is 21 years old. Time is ticking...what on earth are you talking about

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Ya, I actually agree with this for the most part. I dont necessarily think its fair to compare Greg to Redmond. They're both at different levels of development and have different expectations.

However, I do agree that I think a lot of people are looking for things and seeing things with Greg that aren't actually whats happening. People are so hopeful and want Greg to succeed and thus when he makes a pretty standard play that any other guy makes it gets put into the spotlight that much more.

Personally, I really haven't seen anything from Greg so far this year that says he's any better then the likes of Skille/Wagner/etc. Actually, I would rather have both Wagner and Skille in the lineup on a nightly basis then Greg. They play that 4th line role significantly better then him. And he's not going to take a guy like McCleod out of the lineup. He's probably better offensively then Martinsen but Martinsens physical presence is an important factor to this team right now as well.

I dunno, for me I dont think theres really a spot on this team for him right now. He hasn't really dont much with his opportunities in the Top 6 outside of the game in Montreal. He has shown some skill for sure, and maybe he should get a longer look in a scoring role before making a decision on him. But given the success of the team right now we really shouldn't be giving him that look at this moment. The team is winning, and playing well for the most part.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
granted Colorado hasn't been playing the elite of the league in the past four games but damn, it's amazing how much better the D looks than it did just two weeks ago. If Zads/Bigras don't fall off a cliff when EJ returns, it could be the best defense the team has iced since Blake was here. It's super premature to say it, but lack of good D has killed this team for a decade straight and burying that horse in the ground would be huge

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm not convinced Greg is really in their long term plans but as Ive said 100x it has just as much to do with nowhere to put him than anything. Roy even admitted tonight that there's 3 centers ahead of him and nowhere to put him. Yes part of it is on him for not forcing Roy's hand to keep him in the lineup or find a spot for him on a higher line but with lack of injuries and guys that are not coming out of the lineup there's only so many options. Grigo has legitimately shown something with MacKinnon and it's too bad they can't try that to get MacKinnon going. However they are winning and Roy is happy with the lines so I understand he's not going to change much. It's painful to see his nice passes wasted going to Martinsen. He shouldn't be handed anything but he should get at least as much of a chance and benefit of the doubt that Martinsen gets. I think Ive heard the argument before that young skilled guys need to play on a better line to see what they can do.

What they do when EJ returns is going to set the tone for the last half of the season. Are they truly going to give these young guys responsibility and a part of the team? What happens to the group of bottom pairing defensemen? Are they going to make any other moves? I don't think it will happen this weekend...but soon.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
You guys see Tangs suck because you are looking for it. Yes, he is no longer the stud he once was. He has never been fast. But without him, this game is a shutout loss. Yes he makes mistakes. And some of them do stick out. But the same could be said for any player...and some or the favorites made just as many tonight as Tangs...but they get ignored, glossed over, or rationalized.

But seriously, who should be getting those minutes at #1LW? Not Greg, he is a center, and Roy has apparently decided that is the only place he will play this year (how else do you explain demoting him from that spot after a 3pt night?). Comeau? Plenty of complaints about him tonight as well. Martinsen? Tried and failed. Landy is stapled to Soderberg. McLeod is a big no. Iggy...don't want that hail of complaints back. Skille? That would go over well.

Ideally, Greg is #1LW and Tangs is with Iggy and Mitchell, with Wagner centering Skille and McLeod. IMO of course. But given that Roy has proven that is NOT want he wants, there is no better option right now. Rantanen once healthy and called up, maybe. But until they go against their stated wished concerning an 18yo getting development in the AHL, I would not count on it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I saw it with my own eyes tonight and I wasn't looking for it. If I was focusing on anyone it was Zadorov and Bigras. All the forwards had their moments but when it gets to the point of not making basic plays. I said people around me were commenting on it. They weren't pointing out anyone else.

The best we can hope for is that the goal helps Tangs have another good day like he did vs Jersey soon.

MonsterMack

Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
You guys see Tangs suck because you are looking for it. Yes, he is no longer the stud he once was. He has never been fast. But without him, this game is a shutout loss. Yes he makes mistakes. And some of them do stick out. But the same could be said for any player...and some or the favorites made just as many tonight as Tangs...but they get ignored, glossed over, or rationalized.

We are not looking for Tangs to suck. We would love it if he was mediocre. Give me a break, you cannot possible defend his play tonight.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I don't have to, GTG and PA on GWG does it for me. Yes, he made mistakes. But he was not on the ice for the goal against, so none of them hurt us. However, he was an integral part of both our goals.

He did not take a penalty, he did not go offside that I saw (may have missed it), and I did not see nearly the number of mistakes you folks apparently have...what I saw was pretty even with mistakes and decent plays.

I should note the I did not see the first period, so maybe he was complete trash in the first. Could be....but if he was, and everyone gets their wish that he is benched after that, we lose. No GTG, no GWG.

His play may not look pretty anymore, but he helped us win tonight. I will take winning over looking pretty any day.

MonsterMack

Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
should note the I did not see the first period, so maybe he was complete trash in the first.

No offense, but it's like you didn't watch the 2nd or 3rd period either. He was trash all game and was gifted a goal by a great play by Soderberg. To be fair, no one was particularly good tonight, but Tanguay was noticeably bad tonight, despite what the stats say.

edit: and I couldn't care less about pretty

airqualf

Jan 5, 2014
Oberhausen
4 goals against in 4 games for out kids (and without ej) :handclap:
we all know that roy will send bigras and/or zadorov down, but hey, future looks good

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
4 goals against in 4 games for out kids (and without ej) :handclap:
we all know that roy will send bigras and/or zadorov down, but hey, future looks good

Gotta give a ton of credit to Varly for last night, especially for keeping it a game in 2nd when they were all over us.

But I will agree, the D has looked much improved sans Guenin. Bigras especially has impressed. It would be nice if his partner would pass him the puck every now and again.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Big win. ROR game out of the way. Hopefully the playoffs are the focus now. 3 really tough games coming up before a much needed rest during all star weekend. Honestly wish this was an Olympic year to rest guys like Landy and EJ. Don't want Beauch to wear down either. Speaking of Beauchemin, what a game last night. He was our first star before the GWG.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
attachment.php

2n6f381.jpg

Don't know what happened to this but it won't show up anymore, reposting in case anyone didn't see it but thought it was worth sharing!

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
That's a huge win considering the really, really awful first two periods. Varly must be loving the new defense.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
After 48 games and we still have had 0 shootouts.

The only team without one.
lol
I read that as shut outs
OMG head shake and asked for more coffee.. I actually started pasting copies of the schedule where we have shut outs!

and no shoot outs...
ok Go Avs.. maybe we will continue to win in regulation

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
What's so surprising about those ice time numbers? I mean, somebody has to play a good amount up front. We don't have the greatest forward core, so some folks ice time is going to look out of whack.

The forwards were the problem all night, not the D (other than REdmond). So many lazy turnovers at the defensive blueline and in the neutral zone. Mitchell, Tanguay, and Comeau were the worst offenders.

Our team really lacked forward competence... its like two way hockey is some strange new language.... I almost understand why people keep harping for help at forward even with all our prospects....

Speaking of which I wonder if we will ever see Rendulic back...
I guess Martison took his role.

Go avs... I so want back to back wins fri sat at blues and stars...
that will be huge for us...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So what? I know he has had bland games, but he played well tonight. He deserved more ice time than he got. More importantly, he isn't playing as poorly as Tanguay and Martinsen in his limited ice time. He isn't the same as Redmond because Redmond absolutely makes a difference on the ice, in a bad way. Grigs, even when invisible isn't a liability, which you can't say about Tanguay

edit: also, the kid is 21 years old. Time is ticking...what on earth are you talking about

Well he is over 5'6", so D2M's right and he probably is a bust...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad