GDT: Sabres @ Avalanche | Wednesday January 20 2016 | 8PM MT | The Return of Jame Mcginn

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I wonder if Roy is grooming Greg to be the long term #2 center.

If hes that stuck on playing him and developing him at center it makes a hell of a lot of sense IMO.

Big... Defense first, with a **** ton of offensive upside. The kid could be dynamite if he gets more engaged and has some wingers who can help him and finish IMO.

Probably exactly what Roy is thinking, let him work out his kinks while we have Soderberg, then eventually build a line around him and let him take off once Iginla, Tanguay, Stuart are gone and they can add some more real talent for the salary.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
That was a dominant 3rd period. Makes you wonder where they were the first two periods. It was almost reverse Columbus. I thought we deserved a better fate that game than tonight.

It's really remarkable how Zadorov has gone head to head against the other teams best when he was in the AHL just a week ago. I thought he had a really strong night, he just was a bit tentative offensively. He was the best possession defender on the team for the 2nd time in 4 games.

Beauchemin is a rock and perfect for Z. Their success really makes you wonder what happens when EJ gets back.

Tanguay was god awful until that goal. No energy at all. Iginla looked cooked.

How far has Martinsen's game fallen off? He really looks bad out there, and has for a while.

Truly felt bad for Bigras tonight. He had to babysit Redmond all night. That's not how it's supposed to work.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I was impressed by how patient and structured Sabres were. Most young teams aren't. Lehner was good as well. He hates losing as much as Varly does.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I was impressed by how patient and structured Sabres were. Most young teams aren't. Lehner was good as well. He hates losing as much as Varly does.

Buffalo is a success story in the making. They are going to be scary for years to come. They are the anti-Oilers.

Really impressed by the Sabres front office.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That was a dominant 3rd period. Makes you wonder where they were the first two periods. It was almost reverse Columbus. I thought we deserved a better fate that game than tonight.

It's really remarkable how Zadorov has gone head to head against the other teams best when he was in the AHL just a week ago. I thought he had a really strong night, he just was a bit tentative offensively. He was the best possession defender on the team for the 2nd time in 4 games.

Beauchemin is a rock and perfect for Z. Their success really makes you wonder what happens when EJ gets back.

Tanguay was god awful until that goal. No energy at all. Iginla looked cooked.

How far has Martinsen's game fallen off? He really looks bad out there, and has for a while.

Truly felt bad for Bigras tonight. He had to babysit Redmond all night. That's not how it's supposed to work.

Yeah... I truly think Redmond is hurting Bigras overall ice time personally. I thinkg Bigras would have seen 15 minutes by now had it not been for Redmond.

We do know Roy is not one to think inside the box, so I'm not ruling out a Bigras/EJ pairing just yet. Roy did do it during camp when Bigras was playing well.

We know Roy has no problem changing the pairs depending on the in game situation. I'd wonder if Roy himself would want to know if he could pull off having three even strength pairings that strong.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Yeah... I truly think Redmond is hurting Bigras overall ice time personally. I thinkg Bigras would have seen 15 minutes by now had it not been for Redmond.

We do know Roy is not one to think inside the box, so I'm not ruling out a Bigras/EJ pairing just yet. Roy did do it during camp when Bigras was playing well.

We know Roy has no problem changing the pairs depending on the in game situation. I'd wonder if Roy himself would want to know if he could pull off having three even strength pairings that strong.

Here's a dream, that I hope is a reality at some point

Zadorov-Beauchemin
Bigras-EJ
Holden-Barrie

You play the top 4 the most, and give Barrie a lot of PP time.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't mind those pairings but Barrie should get more ES ice time than everyone other than EJ and Beauchemin. On some nights you could even make the case for him getting more than those two. Barrie's great at ES.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Here's a dream, that I hope is a reality at some point

Zadorov-Beauchemin
Bigras-EJ
Holden-Barrie

You play the top 4 the most, and give Barrie a lot of PP time.

A lot of PP time, and that pairing a crap ton of offensive zone starts lol.

With, EJ/Barrie/Zadorov/Bigras being the defense on the power play as well.

EJ-FB could play 5-7 minutes a game together outside of mentoring the kids at ES for most of that time IMO. It wouldn't be that difficult, and it would make Holden/Barrie have the absolute juiciest offensive minutes on the team.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
So Greg had 6:46 of TOI, I literally had to go double check that..

That is some sad ****ing ****, has to be one of the least TOI per game stats of all the forwards this season.

Martinsen played 6:50, and Iginla 10:59...

Guess who had 18:58 as a forward? None other than Alex Tanguay himself. The guy Roy pulled off his line for Iginla for a few shifts.

You ****ing serious Tanguay had almost 19 minutes TOI? LOL

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO

That is some sad ****ing ****, has to be one of the least TOI per game stats of all the forwards this season.

Guess who had 18:58 as a forward? None other than Alex Tanguay himself. The guy Roy pulled off his line for Iginla for a few shifts.

That...is just infuriating

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Tangs scored the tying goal while grabbing an assist on the GWG...There's little to complain about given how crappy they played while coming away with 2pts.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I thought Zadorov was very good too. His last shift looked like he was getting a little nervous but before that I don't know what he did that was wrong. He could be a little more aggressive but maybe that's not the best idea right now while he gets settled back in. Bigras had to be a bit scramblier because of Redmond, who I think LOOKS better at ice level because you can't see everything all at once like you can on tv, I didn't see the bad turnover that lead to a penalty. Holden looked pretty good all night, wish the hands were better but he's a horse out there. Barrie had a good night with the puck. I thought all the D played strong, smart with the puck.

Tanguay was bad bad bad. I get it, he's the old man scapegoat, kick him while he's down because it's the easiest thing to do. But seriously if it weren't for the points (which he deserves credit for no doubt) they'd have to really have to think about doing something. The people around me were even remarking how bad he looked. I didn't notice Landy much. Duchene was trying too hard to be fancy for some reason. Mack is just in a funk. Offense felt really disjointed tonight.

There were some good hits. I missed Martinsen getting ROR. Z sort of got him too. ROR stopped before he really got into the hit. Holden had a good one and Comeau set the tone getting McGinn early

Last edited:

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Tangs scored the tying goal while grabbing an assist on the GWG...There's little to complain about given how crappy they played while coming away with 2pts.

? There is plenty to complain about. Tanguay and Redmond were as garbage as garbage comes. So what Soderberg gifted Tanguay a goal

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
I thought Zadorov was very good too. His last shift looked like he was getting a little nervous but before that I don't know what he did that was wrong. He could be a little more aggressive but maybe that's not the best idea right now while he gets settled back in. Bigras had to be a bit scramblier because of Redmond, who I think LOOKS better at ice level because you can't see everything all at once like you can on tv, I didn't see the bad turnover that lead to a penalty. Holden looked pretty good all night, wish the hands were better but he's a horse out there. Barrie had a good night with the puck. I thought all the D played strong, smart with the puck.

Redmond needs to not be so bad at the bluelines..

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Play a **** game for 18 of those 19 minutes and you're forgiven?

Tanguay was 5th in TOI

Duchene - 23:11
MacKinnon - 21:46
Soderberg - 20:33
Comeau - 19:12 (WTF? Accept when you consider who hes playing with)
Tanguay - 18:58
Landeskog - 18:51

Next closest was Mitchell at 12:03

Then McLeod at 11:20 and Iginla at 10:59

On a positive note... Zadorov had 19:17 and Bigras got a bump at 14:38. Redmond played 14:07.

So that should give a good idea of how attached Bigras is to Redmond unfortunately right now.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
What's so surprising about those ice time numbers? I mean, somebody has to play a good amount up front. We don't have the greatest forward core, so some folks ice time is going to look out of whack.

The forwards were the problem all night, not the D (other than REdmond). So many lazy turnovers at the defensive blueline and in the neutral zone. Mitchell, Tanguay, and Comeau were the worst offenders.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Redmond is the most frustrating piece of **** I have watched in a long time. At least with Guenin we knew he sucked, and sucked bad. But Redmond actually has legitimate NHL skills with his skating and passing ability but he's just so brain dead and stupid that he looks just as bad as Nate Guenin, and that's hard to do.

I swear to god if Roy doesn't realize what's best for this team in keeping Bigras in the lineup and scratching Redmond he's fooling only himself. Small sample size but since Bigras has been called up there's no way Roy can justify keeping Redmond in. He's been god awful. Someone pointed out the fact that he wants to make the play because he doesn't want to be sent down. I think it's exactly that. He doesn't ever want to use Bigras, and he wants to do things himself to impress Roy. It's backfiring in a major way.

I thought Mitchell played like crap. It's been a few games now, too. Was disappointed that Grigorenko only played 6:46, especially considering he generated 3 shots on goal during that time, the same amount as MacKinnon did during his nearly 22 minutes. I thought MacKinnon played like garbage. One thing that I think is always going to infuriate me about MacKinnon is his incessant and un-needed stick handling. He's stick handling so much in open space at a stand-still position in the defensive or neutral zone and it drives me crazy because all it leads to is poor passes and bobbled pucks. Someone has to teach him how to calm the hell down with the puck.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What's so surprising about those ice time numbers? I mean, somebody has to play a good amount up front. We don't have the greatest forward core, so some folks ice time is going to look out of whack.

The forwards were the problem all night, not the D (other than REdmond). So many lazy turnovers at the defensive blueline and in the neutral zone. Mitchell, Tanguay, and Comeau were the worst offenders.

I agree but it's really difficult to see Tanguay get almost 19 minutes, and see Greg get 6 minutes of ice time.

It's just plain ****ing difficult to see Tanguay getting almost 19 minutes regardless. That much bad in your face and you start to choke on it a little bit.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Grigs right now is what Redmond was last year to everyone...Most wanted Roy to play Redmond over guys like Holden/Geunin. Every time Redmond made a pass up the ice you had 20 posts of OMG WHAT A PASS. See so much better than Holden/Geunin, why can't Roy see this? As soon as Redmond played a little more games, everyone soured on him. There's really not much of a difference in them if at all.

Same thing with Grigs right now. He honestly hasn't showed anything up to this point. He has flashes of ok hockey but for the most part, he's been bland. To the point where it really makes no difference if he's playing or not. Sure he's talented but the guy isn't showing it. Timing is ticking on this kid and as of right now he's a bust. Who people shouldn't really pin their hopes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad