Speculation: Sabres at the Trade Deadline

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Heard a rumor. I go to school with people who are good friends with Pegulas daughter. A big rumor and take it with a grain of salt it was

Miller, Vanek
For Halak, Oshie, 1st,2nd

What do you think about that trade?grain of salt just what I heard I never post rumors either...

I'd love to get Oshie in Buffalo. I love Vanek as a player, but that's a deal I wouldn't mind parting with him for.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Heard a rumor. I go to school with people who are good friends with Pegulas daughter. A big rumor and take it with a grain of salt it was

Miller, Vanek

What do you think about that trade?grain of salt just what I heard I never post rumors either...

I'm sure someone in the sabres front office was talking to the owner's twittering daughter regarding a potentially franchise changing trade

:rolleyes:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
ROR and move ennis back to wing or we need to wait and properly rebuild. ROR just speeds up the rebuild

getting O'reilly, allows us to focus very heavily on rebuilding the blue line over the next year (outside of our top 5 pick this year)

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
getting O'reilly, allows us to focus very heavily on rebuilding the blue line over the next year (outside of our top 5 pick this year)

Agreed it speeds up everything, allows Ennis back to the wing. With our pick I am looking at perhaps adding elite talent maybe in the Drouin mold to help our wingers and allow the removal of Pominville, Vanek.

We lose Regehr, Leopold, Sulzer, Pardy on D

X-Myers
X-Ehrhoff
Sekera-X
Weber

We can start to fill the X's

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Of course the year we finally are starting the rebuild the lottery process for #1 drops in half for likeliness of acquiring #1 overall

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
That Oshie trade would cement the rebuild. There would be no heroic run to 9th. Jones, Drouin or Mac would be in our pocket.

I really think it's the best path... I really think one of those 3 could be a franchise changing asset.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I really think it's the best path... I really think one of those 3 could be a franchise changing asset.

I add Barkov and Lindholm. Those are my top 5.

MacKinnon
Drouin
Jones

SLIGHT drop

Barkov
Lindholm

Medium drop

Also, agreed on it being the best option. We cannot half*ss this, we must do it right and allow a strong future for our organization.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Sounds like some serious credibility to this rumor. Because, you know, Regier's trades always leak beforehand.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

Miller, Vanek

Don't do that stupid "a friend heard from a source" crap. Just post the deal and talk about it. It's NOT a rumor, it's speculation at best.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I'm sure someone in the sabres front office was talking to the owner's twittering daughter regarding a potentially franchise changing trade

Somebody on another board who scooped the Hodgson trade mentioned her by name, so I wouldn't scoff so soon.

I want Sobotka in that St. Louis deal. The Blues' offer is short a piece.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

:laugh:

DR: Hey Jess, what do you think about this trade?

JP: Looks good to me. Pull the trigger Darcy.

DR: Now Jess, you have to promise not to tell anyone. Promise?

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Are Matt Ellis and Cody McCormick eliminated because they're in Rochester now? If so, I'd say Kaleta.

Disagree. The biggest problem with this team is that it's comprised of a bunch of mismatched parts, and they have few, if any, good possession players. The other team has the puck too much. The other team takes too many shots. We don't have many good defensive forwards--that's actually Ott's biggest contribution, IMO.

The problem is one of talent, above all. I think people like to tell themselves that we have plenty of talent, but we really don't, at least not relative to many other teams. This is just a stale, bad hockey team. We have one of the worst bottom-6's in hockey. We have one of the worst top-4 defensemen corps in hockey.

Ott's a nice 3rd liner to have, but, at the end of the day, he's going to have little overall impact on your team's final standing. He's eminently tradeable for the right offer, just as any player is on this 29th place roster.

Ott is absolutely close to untouchable. Obviously if a team overpays for him we'll take it but Ott is not a player that will be shopped and ideally he's a player that needs to be and will be kept. He's too important to this team.

As for McCormick and Ellis, let's face it, they were hard workers but what did they really bring to this team? McCormick brought more but both of them didn't bring much as hockey players. I like them both because they work hard but they contributed very little and that's why they're both in Rochester. Hard work only gets you so far in the NHL. Ellis wasn't on the roster for so long because of skill or usefulness, he was on it because of his work ethic. McCormick to a lesser extent (he's better than Ellis though).

Ott both works hard and brings a lot to this team which is why he should absolutely not be considered to be moved. Not only does Ott give it his all every shift (which every player should do), he's good at what he does and does all the little things that are just as essential to winning hockey games as scoring goals are. Without Ott we're a much worse team. Same goes for Kaleta.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The upside to putting the "For Sale" sign up on Leopold (and perhaps Regehr) is the possibility of not only interest but a bit higher return than mid-season or off-season dealings. He's gone for a 2nd repeatedly as a rental and he's not played well this season albeit on a team in distress. Given that it will be a contender looking for depth, that draft pick will almost certainly be under 45th, more likely closer to the mid-50's. Regier will likely bank on Leo's past value and try to leverage teams like he did with Gaustad last year, yet I can't see him getting that covetted first rounder for the guy -- maybe a 2nd and some variety of augmentation (B-or-C-level non-pro prospect or a late pick)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Ott is absolutely close to untouchable.

No, he's not. This is absurdity. Where am I? Let me go back to the real world where a 29th place team doesn't have "untouchable" or "close to untouchable" 3rd liners making $3m.

Obviously if a team overpays for him we'll take it but Ott is not a player that will be shopped and ideally he's a player that needs to be and will be kept. He's too important to this team.

Of course he won't be shopped, he's got another year on his contract, and those players are rarely traded in-season at the deadline. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't be listening, which is what "untouchable" or "close to untouchable" essentially means. Steven Stamkos and Sidney Crosby are untouchable. Steve Ott is not untouchable.

Ott both works hard and brings a lot to this team which is why he should absolutely not be considered to be moved. Not only does Ott give it his all every shift (which every player should do), he's good at what he does and does all the little things that are just as essential to winning hockey games as scoring goals are. Without Ott we're a much worse team. Same goes for Kaleta.

You're overestimating his impact, IMO. He's a good defensive player--though currently riding an unsustainably high on-ice save%, especially relative to the rest of the team--who can contribute on the offensive end. Where I take umbridge with this line of posts is the assertion that he's "untouchable" or "close to untouchable."

He's got nice intangibles, but I prefer measurables, and his measurables are just okay. And, for that reason, he's as available as anyone else on this team in the right deal.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo

Well her dad owns the team. If your dad owned the team, I'm pretty sure he would tell you what was going on. She tweeted " we got hodgson" 15 mins before any TSN insider made it official so....

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
If you are talking about STL why not look at a reload vs rebuild? What would it take to get one or both of Tarasenko (Grigs winger) or Schwartz out? Guys who in a year or two will be able to play at a high level? You then have a new core of 2008 to 2012 draftees. Myers, Ennis, CoHo (2008) McNabb (2009) Pysyk, Tarasenko, Schwartz (2010), Armina, Danny Cat (2011) Grigs and Girgs, plus McCabe (2012).

I hope they go this way for the same reason I want ROR here. We have halfway decent prospects coming up and should do everything possible to get as many pieces together NOW when they are still young and accelerate the rebuild.

Last edited:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Well her dad owns the team. If your dad owned the team, I'm pretty sure he would tell you what was going on. She tweeted " we got hodgson" 15 mins before any TSN insider made it official so....

I'm sure he told her about where prospecting indicated huge quantities of natural gas... so she could gossip to her friends, and the news would slowly leak out potentially hurting his business as word reached competitors.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I love that trade. Taking it with a grain of salt of course but it would be a step in the right direction for the franchise. Hell add in pominville for perron well we're at it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad