Speculation: Sabres at the Trade Deadline

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Heard a rumor. I go to school with people who are good friends with Pegulas daughter. A big rumor and take it with a grain of salt it was

Miller, Vanek
For Halak, Oshie, 1st,2nd

What do you think about that trade?grain of salt just what I heard I never post rumors either...

That's terrible. Trade our best scorer and #1 goalie for a worse goalie and a player who is pretty much a slightly bigger and slightly better (and slightly older) Ennis. That trade is extremely underwhelming.

Throw in Tarasenko and it becomes better but still not an automatic slam dunk trade.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Heard a rumor. I go to school with people who are good friends with Pegulas daughter. A big rumor and take it with a grain of salt it was

Miller, Vanek

What do you think about that trade?grain of salt just what I heard I never post rumors either...

Blues would be very very unlikely to move Oshie. They are not rebuilding and he is one of their key 2 or 3 core players.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2011
Newcastle, England.
That's terrible. Trade our best scorer and #1 goalie for a worse goalie and a player who is pretty much a slightly bigger and slightly better (and slightly older) Ennis. That trade is extremely underwhelming.

Throw in Tarasenko and it becomes better but still not an automatic slam dunk trade.

Ennis and Oshie are not very comparable in terms of playing style. However, i do agree we may not do that trade as it is.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Ennis and Oshie are not very comparable in terms of playing style...

In terms of offense they are almost identical. I never said they were the same type of player, merely stated Oshie is better at both ends. Still doesn't make him worth anywhere near Vanek. And it's not like Oshie is that young, he is a mere 2 years younger then Vanek. And has never scored 20+ goals and has eclipsed 50 points once. If that's the main piece for Vanek I easily pass.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Ennis and Oshie are not very comparable in terms of playing style...

No. Awful player comparsion.
\
Also, that trade isn't horribly unbalanced, either. It'd be awful shedding our 2 best players, but we'd get much younger(rebuild).

As for them not wanting to part with Oshie being a key player, what would Vanek be?? You're replacing said key guy.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY

Miller, Vanek

Sabres do this a lot. They bounce ideas around just to get a feel of where the trade market is... please don't take it to heart or too literally ( I learned my lesson last year)

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
No. Awful player comparsion.
\
Also, that trade isn't horribly unbalanced, either. It'd be awful shedding our 2 best players, but we'd get much younger(rebuild).

As for them not wanting to part with Oshie being a key player, what would Vanek be?? You're replacing said key guy.

Vanek born 1/84, Oshie 12/86. Not really that much younger. Oshie is as productive as Ennis offensively, they literally both average 55 points / 82 games. Your replacing Vaneks production for Oshies which is a 15 point down grade a season. Halak for Miller is real bad, Miller is still a much better goalie. For giving up our two best players, we don't get either a franchise player OR an elite top prospect. If we don't get one of those, why bother making this trade? It would set us back years. Just thinking about our top 6 with Oshie instead of Vanek is making me laugh.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Vanek born 1/84, Oshie 12/86. Not really that much younger. Oshie is as productive as Ennis offensively, they literally both average 55 points / 82 games. Your replacing Vaneks production for Oshies which is a 15 point down grade a season. Halak for Miller is real bad, Miller is still a much better goalie. For giving up our two best players, we don't get either a franchise player OR an elite top prospect. If we don't get one of those, why bother making this trade? It would set us back years. Just thinking about our top 6 with Oshie instead of Vanek is making me laugh.

that 3 year difference, is a big deal...

it's a big deal in relation to where they are in their careers (1 of them is just entering his prime years)

it's a big deal in terms of contract (1 guy will be hitting free agency in one more year and will be in his 30s, the other is locked up 4 more years, before turning 30)

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
That deal would only look slightly appealing if St. Louis was going to be drafting in the top 10, which isn't going to happen. As it stands, that deal doesn't do much for me.

That said, if Darcy makes a deal like that, it's because he's decided that he won't be able to re-sign Miller or Vanek to a reasonable deal. Even so, I would think those guys have more value than that. Oshie is a valuable player, but Halak isn't worth much. Playing in front of the Sabres' D, his GAA would be around 5.30. To me, that trade is basically like VAnek and Miller for Oshie and a low 1st and 2nd. Since Goose fetched a 1st all by himself, that deal looks pretty bad.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
Why exactly would St. Louis want Miller? Don't they have a log jam with their goalies right now, or am I completely mistaken?

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
It's too bad Buffalo isn't in a position to go after rental players. I'd love to see them pick up Perry and sign him before free agency...too much of a risk though, seeing as they'd get basically nothing out of him for the remainder of the season :/

BCS

Feb 18, 2008
It's too bad Buffalo isn't in a position to go after rental players. I'd love to see them pick up Perry and sign him before free agency...too much of a risk though, seeing as they'd get basically nothing out of him for the remainder of the season :/

It's moot anyway, because the Ducks are 13-3-1. They're not trading Perry.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Why not just wait until free agency when Perry will be a UFA anyway? The chances of them trading him are getting smaller and it doesn't like they'll resign him AND Getzlaf.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
My issue with the Vanek/Miller for Oshie/Halak swap is that it's downgrading the team at its only two positions of strength this season, without restructuring the team in any fashion.

With no defenders or third center coming back, Buffalo is only making it harder on the rest of the team to even marginally turn it around. I know that's good for end-game draft position, but it sucks balls for development, aside from maybe Hodgson/Pominville's defense because of Oshie. If that extra first means we can put together a better package for O'Reilly, or a similar defensive center or defenseman however, that deal becomes a lot more palatable - especially if we manage to retain our own first in the process.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Would anyone else pay a 2nd for Marcel Goc as soon as right now, if the speculation about an immanent Panthers firesale is true?

Great competition + possession stats last season with an extra year on his deal. Immediately becomes our best defensive forward and creates some semblance of a checking line with Ott and another one of the grinders. I'm not particularly worried about our ability to get the pick back if we're in full on sell mode by the deadline, either.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Would anyone else pay a 2nd for Marcel Goc as soon as right now, if the speculation about an immanent Panthers firesale is true?

Great competition + possession stats last season with an extra year on his deal. Immediately becomes our best defensive forward and creates some semblance of a checking line with Ott and another one of the grinders. I'm not particularly worried about our ability to get the pick back if we're in full on sell mode by the deadline, either.

We need all the draft picks we can get. Why on earth would we give a pick away to get a 30 year old 3rd line forward

Edit: and by saying you're not worried about getting the pick back because we're in full sell mode, why are we all of a sudden becoming a buyer and giving away our picks?

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Because it drastically improves the developmental situation of the three young centers who happen to already be a part of the organization both this year and next?

RattleYourSabre

Jan 12, 2013
Why not just wait until free agency when Perry will be a UFA anyway? The chances of them trading him are getting smaller and it doesn't like they'll resign him AND Getzlaf.

Here's a major downside to the team not being very good...

It helps draft status, but it does very little in helping us nab quality free agents. I'm a Rochesterian, and Buffalo, to me, is just a bigger version of the same city. And I love my home... That said...

No one is coming to Buffalo for aesthetics. Now, once there they could come to love it, like we do. But the city isn't a draw in and of itself.

So next you look at the on ice product... Not so great at the moment.

So what reasons would a FA have to sign in Buffalo?
-the addition of a top prospect could be a factor
-overwhelming gobs of money thrown at them
-lack of other options

For a guy like Perry we may back the Brinks up for him... Which shows other FAs were willing to spend cash, but we'd almost certainly overpay. That backs us into a corner with our own UFAs as well...

So the route to go with FAs is finding "off the radar, bang for the buck" guys. Sound drafting is a necessity and trade acquisitions using our current assets for proven players.

That could improve the on ice product... Which will make FAs want to be here...

But the fans may not be thrilled with bang for the buck guys, but then again, who cares? Fans will come around with an improved product.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad