Speculation: Sabres at the Trade Deadline

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
With Gagne going back to Philly, does Pominville to LA make a ton of sense to anyone else?

No, because CBJ has their 1st, and that would be a necessary piece for me to part with Pominville. They have a couple nice pieces in their pipe in Toffoli and Nick Shore, but I want a 1st in this year's draft if we're moving Pominville.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
No, because CBJ has their 1st, and that would be a necessary piece for me to part with Pominville. They have a couple nice pieces in their pipe in Toffoli and Nick Shore, but I want a 1st in this year's draft if we're moving Pominville.

Good call. Forgot about the 1st. Damn.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Would anyone else pay a 2nd for Marcel Goc as soon as right now, if the speculation about an immanent Panthers firesale is true?

Great competition + possession stats last season with an extra year on his deal. Immediately becomes our best defensive forward and creates some semblance of a checking line with Ott and another one of the grinders. I'm not particularly worried about our ability to get the pick back if we're in full on sell mode by the deadline, either.

One step closer to the German national team, too!

Someone get Gogulla and Schutz on the horn...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Would anyone else pay a 2nd for Marcel Goc as soon as right now, if the speculation about an immanent Panthers firesale is true?

Great competition + possession stats last season with an extra year on his deal. Immediately becomes our best defensive forward and creates some semblance of a checking line with Ott and another one of the grinders. I'm not particularly worried about our ability to get the pick back if we're in full on sell mode by the deadline, either.

No. Not interested at that price at all.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
No. Not interested at that price at all.
I don't know man, it might be worth it to not have Ennis and Hodgson lead the team in various QoC statistics. That's how much top end depth players cost at pretty much every point in the year, and there are exactly two players of Goc's quality hitting the market in the summer in Bozak and Gordon.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't know man, it might be worth it to not have Ennis and Hodgson lead the team in various QoC statistics. That's how much top end depth players cost at pretty much every point in the year, and there are exactly two players of Goc's quality hitting the market in the summer in Bozak and Gordon.

The time to address the void is this summer when a player like Goc is likely available for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Buffalo dealing a pick in the high 30's for Goc is not the direction I want to see this team taking, personally.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008

As much as I like him, guys like him hit free agency every season. It's not worth giving up a pick that looks to be ~35 for him.

Edit: And as Chain says, I'd rather it be done in the summer time because it'll probably cost less.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The time to address the void is this summer when a player like Goc is likely available for a 3rd or 4th rounder. Buffalo dealing a pick in the high 30's for Goc is not the direction I want to see this team taking, personally.
I don't really see any point where someone producing like Goc has could be had for a third. Guys like Boyle and Powe, who were fourth liners with the potential to be productive depth forwards in new scenery, sure, but players in the process of succeeding against top competition don't really depreciate.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I don't really see any point where someone producing like Goc has could be had for a third. Guys like Boyle and Powe, who were fourth liners with the potential to be productive depth forwards in new scenery, sure, but players in the process of succeeding against top competition don't really depreciate.

We don't really need that player now though. Why give up a pick in the 30-35 range for a 3rd liner when we can get a very similar player through FA in the offseason. How much more do you really think Goc is going to be able to teach Hodgson and Ennis than a coach? I understand the point you are trying to make, but that price is WAY too high to be relying on intangibles such as learning vicariously.

wyldthing89

Jan 26, 2006
St-Gedeon Quebec
i225.photobucket.com
I know Buffalo wouldn't even come close to Jones or MacKinnon if they were to trade say Pominville for a 1st or 2nd rd. draft pick.
Sabres should trade Gerbe, Leopold or Regher for a player already existing in the league.

Trade with Ducks? Avalanche? San Jose?

Add Drouin on that list, see him play pretty often and every highlights from his game and this guy is the real deal and can be avalaible if some teams are afraid that he is only 5''10 , 95 pts in about 45 games and made a play last week that beene shown around the world, would love to have him in a Sabres uniform !!!

As far as the topic, Pominville, Vanek and Miller as far as vets are concern for me should not be trade unless return it amazing.

Would love to keep Ennis, Myers and Foligno as well even if Myers is not the same since last year.

For younger guys like Grigs, Gergs, McNabb etc, you never know what can happens, if the return is a young guy that is already an establish NHLer, why not !!!

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
that 3 year difference, is a big deal...

it's a big deal in relation to where they are in their careers (1 of them is just entering his prime years)

it's a big deal in terms of contract (1 guy will be hitting free agency in one more year and will be in his 30s, the other is locked up 4 more years, before turning 30)

Thomas Vanek is 10th among active players in the NHL for goals per game. He will move up to 8th after this year just due to Jagr and Selanne retiring. Vanek is an elite goal scorer. Oshie is elite at nothing. Vanek is worth far more then Oshie. I don't trade a top 10 goal scorer for a 55 point player. Oshie turns 27 at the end of this year, he is practically Staffords age and won't develop much further. Vanek is only 29 and will continue to score 35 goals a year for atleast 5 more seasons. Like I said, that trade offer is horrendous. Vanek is a legitimate franchise forward and Oshie is a 2nd line player.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX

ve vant all ze Germans!

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Replace stafford for a 2nd line scoring winger. Get a solid defensive 4th ine center and only play Hecht occasionally. Replace Leopold possibly for another 2nd liner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad