Speculation: Sabres at the Trade Deadline

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Asking you all to put on the GM hats for when the sell off begins:

Who's on the block?

Who's untouchable?

Who do we get stuck with despite probably trying to move them?

Who's our best/most likely trading partner(s)?

Any pieces/players/prospects in particular you'd like to see us pursue? (Aside from the obvious ones, a la O'Reilly/Ryan, etc.)

Who gets a call up after?

Discuss!

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Leo/Regher. I would shop miller getting a younger goalie+ in return, crawford+, halak+ etc. I would go after hjarmarlsson from the hawks

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Everyone's available, nobody's untouchable.

Pretty much. What do I think we'll do? Realistically, trade our impending UFAs and little else. Teams just don't sell off half their teams. Darcy may continue trying to move Gerbe, but I don't see any of the players signed beyond this season being moved at the deadline.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Grigs
Armia
Kaleta
Gerbe

Everyone else can gtfo

Armia and Grigorenko are 100% unproven talent. It's 100% based on hope. They are not untouchable.

Kaleta and Gerbe.... They can both be moved in a package to obtain a sorely missing piece. They are not untouchable. They provide nothing unique that we can't get from someone else in the league or a developing prospect.

To make this team better...

Every
Single
Player and prospect
Should be considered expendable

Even Leino. Yes, I went there.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Grigs
Armia
Kaleta
Gerbe

Everyone else can gtfo

Kaleta and Gerbe :help:

And untouchable is still valid, it just means the cost would be so astronomically high no other team would give up enough.Crosby is untouchable but obviously if you gut your team and drastically overpay then of course Pittsburgh would trade him.

My "untouchable" list:
Vanek
Grigorenko
Girgensons
Hodgson
Ennis

I don't want to trade either Cody or Ennis, both are already top 6 scoring centers, what we need is a 3rd line center who can win face offs, hit, play two way hockey, Penalty kill and chip in 10-15 goals. Sounds like RoR (but RoR has more offense) but I would rather find a way to acquire him without moving Ennis or Hodgson. If we can we can do that we could move Ennis back to LW, bump Foligno down to the 3rd line where he can exploit match ups and have Grigs center the 3rd line with actually talented players. It seems Avs fans would take Sekera, Armia and Pysyk for RoR, which is much better idea then trading Ennis or Grigorenko.

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Ennis-RoR-Stafford
Foligno-Grigorenko-Ott :snide:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Armia and Grigorenko are 100% unproven talent. It's 100% based on hope. They are not untouchable.

Kaleta and Gerbe.... They can both be moved in a package to obtain a sorely missing piece. They are not untouchable. They provide nothing unique that we can't get from someone else in the league or a developing prospect.

Every
Single
Player and prospect

If we're selling players off to really rebuild, then I'd think guys like Grigorenko/Armia should definitely be untouchable or darn close to it. What's the point of selling the team and the farm system?

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Try to get something for Regehr, Leo and Hecht. Don't even really care what.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

Gerbe gives it 100 % each shift. He is fast shifty and fiesty ..can never have to much of that. If he is the deciding point in oh say a ror deal then I move him but by himself he is to valuable to this team to move for fornwhat his worth is in the league.

Kaleta is the epitome of Buffalo. He doesnt do one thing great but does a lot well he is a very good pker ..he will lay his body on the line to block a shot or create a spark for a team that needs them to often. He is a good assest to have and I wouldnt want him playing for another team. Same with gerbe his worth is higher to the sabres.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

Every
Single
Player and prospect

You have to have high end talent even if it is unproven or hopeful. Even if you want to trade these two you make them untouchable to gms and then maybe a gm throws a ill advised package your way to get one. An untouchable list is just a way to gauge value. Everybody on every team is available.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
TBF, Gerbe is getting his shot tonight. If he does nadda with his 2nd line role, then I'll disagree he's valuable to this team.

I'm liking Armia. He will take time to develop, though, but could play minutes right away being a def. liability. I think Sabre fans will like him too. He does what he has to do to be successful.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Regehr and Leopold will go for picks. I'd guess 2nds at best. (And don't anyone tell me how Gaustad got a 1st again.)

I also see one crazy, out-of-the blue move that sends an unexpected commodity out. As another poster above said, I'd like for the Sabres to go after a young goalie now. It's time to start planning for the post-Miller days. If it requires moving Miller to do it, so be it. I don't see him resigning here and the team won't be a contender next year regardless of if he stays or not.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
Gerbe gives it 100 % each shift. He is fast shifty and fiesty ..can never have to much of that. If he is the deciding point in oh say a ror deal then I move him but by himself he is to valuable to this team to move for fornwhat his worth is in the league.

Kaleta is the epitome of Buffalo. He doesnt do one thing great but does a lot well he is a very good pker ..he will lay his body on the line to block a shot or create a spark for a team that needs them to often. He is a good assest to have and I wouldnt want him playing for another team. Same with gerbe his worth is higher to the sabres.

That's cute and all, but they're still mediocre/borderline NHL players. Don't be that guy who gets emotionally attached to crappy players because they try hard or are from the area and then use that "logic" when discussing trade proposals.

I'd say Ehrhoff is really the only guy that's untouchable. He's so good and I think very underrated (especially defensively) around the league. His cap hit is also very reasonable. I don't see how you could trade him and get his worth back. Everybody else has a price.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
How does the 29th place team whose star players have 1 year left on their deals have untouchable players?

Any player is available if it makes your team better in the short and long term, it could be argued this is the time to consider moving Miller, Pominville and Vanek.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Thats good and all that Gerbe gives an honest effort, but he doesnt make plays or score, and he is the smallest player in the league, their are better options for role players.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
How does the 29th place team whose star players have 1 year left on their deals have untouchable players?

Any player is available if it makes your team better in the short and long term, it could be argued this is the time to consider moving Miller, Pominville and Vanek.

This has popped into my head a few times lately. Just go full rebuild and stop trying to be Calgary... that said I just don't see any reason to trade Ehrhoff (amusing no massive over payments)

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Thats good and all that Gerbe gives an honest effort, but he doesnt make plays or score, and he is the smallest player in the league, their are better options for role players.

Yep. His stock has fallen. I'd be surprised if he could net better than a 5th or 6th pick at this point.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

um... no

ugly casanova*

Trade every single one of them, I want an entirely new team by the end of the deadline :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad