Pre-Game Talk: Sabres at Canucks - Sunday March 23, 2014 @ 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
2 goal-scorers playing with confidence vs. a former goal-scorer playing with no confidence in his scoring ability and passing all of the time. I think I know which one I'd choose.
Other than maybe the passing thing, this could have been used to describe Burrows before Jensen came.

Maybe they'll spark something in Daniel too?

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
At least we have our special teams.

9776bb75-011d-4ec0-8332-35da42a76fd9_zps18668fec.jpg

bo2shink*

the very first canucks game i went to, the entire arena was pissed that we started mclean instead of hot shot rookie troy gamble. i'm still mad about that. gamble.

Was it Troy that kept taking shots to the head? I seem to recall he had a run of dented cages.

Wetcoaster

Jason Botchford article... going postal??? Two years after trade, Zack Kassian and Cody Hodgson both yet to deliver

Maybe Kassian hasn’t met lofty expectations some had of him in the summer. But he has 11 goals, and has been deployed this season almost exclusively in defensive roles.

His offensive zone starts — 42% — are the third lowest on the team. His power-play time is virtually non-existent — 37:57 total for the season. Just like his shifts with the twins.

It’s a point Kassian drove home when he thought he was being asked to compare himself to Hodgson.

“We’re in two different situations with our hockey teams,†Kassian said. “He’s putting up a lot of points, but obviously I’m in a checking role.â€​

And Tortorella on Canucks bright new shiny toy - Nicklas Jensen and how he differs from Kassian:

Tortorella was asked to address why he’s so willing to trust Jensen so quickly while refusing all season to show the same faith in Kassian.

“(Jensen’s) awareness is above where I’d thought it would be,†Tortorella said. “Him and Zack are two different players. I don’t want to compare them because I’d have to be critical of one, and that’s just not fair.

“But with Jense, he’s stepped in and he immediately made an impact, offensively and he’s not hurting us terribly away from the puck.â€​

And then there is that contract that Hodgson scored from the Sabres - he signed a six-year, $25.5-million deal.

IMHO in terms of value for dollars Kassian is winning in a walk.

Wetcoaster

Uh oh!!!

Jeff Paterson ‏@patersonjeff
Abbotsford native Nathan Lieuwen gets start in goal for Sabres vs #Canucks on Sunday

Good luck trying to wipe the smile off Nathan Lieuwen’s face.

The 22-year-old was born and raised less than an hour away in Abbotsford, BC. On Sunday he’ll be the starting goaltender at Rogers Arena facing the Vancouver Canucks, the team he grew up cheering for.

Lieuwen was grinning from ear-to-ear when he spoke with reporters following today’s practice.

“It’s incredible. Obviously this past week has been a whirlwind for me. This is just pretty special,†said Lieuwen, who was sporting a freshly shorn buzzcut. “The Canucks were my team growing up. It’ll be cool to play in this building.â€

Sunday’s homecoming will cap off a wild first week of NHL action for Lieuwen. After playing on consecutive nights with the Rochester Americans, Lieuwen was recalled to Buffalo last Sunday when Michal Neuvirth went down with a lower body injury. He was then thrust into action that night against Montreal when Jhonas Enroth suffered a leg injury late in the second period. That was followed by his first career start in Calgary on Tuesday, where he made 23 saves in a 3-1 loss, after holding the Flames scoreless through the first 38:58 of action.

With everything that he’s gone through in the last seven days, Lieuwen says he’ll have to rely on his training and preparation to maintain his focus against the Canucks.

“I’ve just gotta kind of block it out. There’s obviously going to be a lot of emotions, and a lot of extra stuff that could creep into my head. I’ve just got to stay focused on my process and what I have to do on the ice. If I stay focused on that I’ll be fine.â€​
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=27502&navid=DL|BUF|home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad