Pre-Game Talk: Sabres at Canucks - Sunday March 23, 2014 @ 5pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Ugh, of course our schedule is butter soft when we need to lose.

The Sabres are just a miserable franchise this year. What a horrific season, and they didn't even pick the right one to do it in.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Ugh, of course our schedule is butter soft when we need to lose.

The Sabres are just a miserable franchise this year. What a horrific season, and they didn't even pick the right one to do it in.

It isn't a matter of picking a year to tank, but more of looking at where their team is at and realizing that they need a full rebuild. A legitimately good team isn't going to tank. Anyways, they're likely going to be just as ****** in 2015 as they are this year.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
For all the talk of Hoff leaving for a cup chase, we have just as many pictures of tanks in our thread as the Sabres board lol.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
They'll trade Myers to embrace the tank next year.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
For all the talk of Hoff leaving for a cup chase, we have just as many pictures of tanks in our thread as the Sabres board lol.

Huge difference though between Buffalo and Vancouver is that we were an elite team as late as last year. One bad year is not the same as being a perennial lottery draft contestant. Even with all the money pumped into free agency, they've not been the same since moving Briere, Drury, Cambell and their other top tier players. Granted it was justified at the time, I don't think we're in the same boat, even tanking this year, as Buffalo is/has been.

I feel we are a few pieces from being back in contention. Ehrhoff is not that piece, but I think we're far closer to competing for a cup then many other non-playoff teams.

They'll trade Myers to embrace the tank next year.

If we could get him cheap, that could get us our top defenceman...or at least another top pairing D.

Doubt we pursue him though, as our D is already overstocked.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
To be fair Buffalo was in addition to all the money Buffalo was in decent shape when Ehrhoff and at that specific moment the owner was looking to spend spend spend. I'd say though that the team fell apart because they weren't able to address their weakness down the middle and while being willing to spend is great but not when there's no one good to spend on.

Not much excuses for Hodgson though, he got what he wanted but in the long term he probably would have been better off keeping a good attitude and staying in Vancouver. I don't actually think he'll be this bad but I wouldn't be surprised if his career path ended up something similar to a guy like Mike Comrie.

bo2shink*

$15m difference is not insignificance. If he went to BUF to cash in, it was the right move. If he did it to further his hockey career, not so much.

It's only $5M considering the term of 5 years. I get taking the front loaded gem he was handed, but what would it take for you to transfer to Regina or Thunder Bay?

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Go buffalo!

hywneDs.png

TheCrazedMadman

Aug 31, 2010
Ugggh, I dont know what to cheer for anymore....why cant we just stick to winning, or stick to losing? Since we won last game and have a relatively easy schedule over the next few games I'm on the Anti-Tank bandwagon again, even if it is 2% in sportsclubstats

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Ugggh, I dont know what to cheer for anymore....why cant we just stick to winning, or stick to losing? Since we won last game and have a relatively easy schedule over the next few games I'm on the Anti-Tank bandwagon again, even if it is 2% in sportsclubstats

nah let them cheer for the worst team in the league. They'll soon figure out why Buff is in that spot in the first place :naughty:

jimslob

Dec 9, 2008
What if your current job offered $25m?

I'd take the extra 15 mill in a heartbeat, wouldn't even think about it.

Not only that the contract was heavily front loaded with a 10 mill signing bonus IIRC.

10 million bucks people, how many of us will make that in our careers let alone for signing one contract.

If the average wage in the US and Canada is $50,000 per that is 200 years of earnings for the average person.

You would have to be completely insane not to take that contract!

And that's only the signing bonus.

I would move to Alberta if offered that and I would rather die than live in Alberta.

DennisReynolds

the implication
Dec 11, 2011
Cheer for our young guns to play well every game. All three of them in fact

bo2shink*

I'd take the extra 15 mill in a heartbeat, wouldn't even think about it.

Not only that the contract was heavily front loaded with a 10 mill signing bonus IIRC.

10 million bucks people, how many of us will make that in our careers let alone for signing one contract.

If the average wage in the US and Canada is $50,000 per that is 200 years of earnings for the average person.

You would have to be completely insane not to take that contract!

And that's only the signing bonus.

I would move to Alberta if offered that and I would rather die than live in Alberta.

The 15M comes with several more years of service.

We are talking about legacy money at this point. You get to put a value on where you live and work. I put a high value on the where. Like many in Vancouver, I could move to Toronto and make 30% more. No thanks.

Wetcoaster

Daniel getting close to returning?

Raw: Daniel Sedin 04.21.14
Daniel Sedin speaks to reporters Friday after skating with the Canucks at Rogers Arena
[NHL]582898[/NHL]

Raw: John Tortorella 04.21.14
John Tortorella speaks with the media Friday following Canucks practice at Rogers Arena
[NHL]582899[/NHL]

Raw: Kesler 04.21.14
Ryan Kesler talks to reporters Friday after skating with the Canucks for the first time since suffering a leg injury March 12
[NHL]582897[/NHL]

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat

Ouch. Lived in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, currently in Alberta. What did we ever do to you? It's not like we tried to have a referendum to try and leave Canada and do it on our own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad