Friedman: Sabres ask on Eichel is still huge

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
No doubt Eichel's contract + injury situation complicates matters hugely.
Oh absolutely they do which is why if I'm Buffalo, I sit down with him, and say if you really want out, we need to have a good showcase of you after whatever recovery it is that needs to be done for your injury.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Teams have no incentive to pay up right now if he hasn’t had the surgery, how long will the rehab take? Why trade assets now for a player who won’t start the season on your team and very likely most the season? Buffalo should hold onto him till he can show he’s healthy before asking for a big return.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Oh absolutely they do which is why if I'm Buffalo, I sit down with him, and say if you really want out, we need to have a good showcase of you after whatever recovery it is that needs to be done for your injury.

Doesn't work. First of all they can't agree on the operation. Second Adams is on the clock to clean up the mess in Buffalo. Eichel can just sit until he gets the disk replacement operation or the NMC kicks in. Then he can simply half arse his way out of town if/when healthy.

Adams has said publicly that they want to go forward with the people who want to be there. Eichel clearly doesn't so what's the point in screwing him over and dragging this out indefinitely? To be sure the fan base will go bonkers if Eichel's return is perceived to be another ROR trade, which may matter to Adams and Buffalo but certainly doesn't to the team trading for him.

From Eichel's point of view - would you let your employer determine what kind of operation you get? Or would you go with what your own heart tells you is right?

It's an interesting situation. Time will tell which side is bluffing.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
When Eichels NMC kicks in and if he's still on Buffalo by then he's probably intentionally playing bad because he's mad at the GM/ownership.

Teams will offer less for NMC Eichel and Eichel himself could limit his NMC waiving to where he wants to go and then Buffalo will see that teams offer is alot worse than what was being offered before his NMC kicked in and so then they just hang onto him and watch him leave as a UFA because the GM failed to trade him.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Teams have no incentive to pay up right now if he hasn’t had the surgery, how long will the rehab take? Why trade assets now for a player who won’t start the season on your team and very likely most the season? Buffalo should hold onto him till he can show he’s healthy before asking for a big return.

One more season and his NMC kicks in. Then Eichel has to approve the team he is going to which complicates things a bit on value. Sabres have time but not that much time. I would never wish that situation on any fan base but if you can't rebuild with Dahlin/Eichel, something is wrong.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Great news. Eichel should not just be traded because. It should be a massive haul or nothing at all. We are all fine with 5 years of Eichel. The NMC means nothing. If he wants out he waives, if he vetoes the trade the Sabres are "stuck" with an Elite talent for the rest of his contract

I dont get why people are talking about the NMC like its a seath stroke. Hes not on an expiring deal, the NMC doesn't worry me at all. If he wants out he waives, if not he stays a Sabre, either way works for me.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
There are reports that the Sabres are higher on the '21 Draft class than a lot of teams...

:dunno:

Would explain their consistent ineptitude. That organization is a mess from top to bottom. Sometimes going against the grain works... but given their track record they should probably just be a follower until they can put a half competent product on the ice.

Right on, we can finally stop the Zegras + 3rd OVR for Eichel threads!

Wouldn't touch that with a 39 1/2 foot pole if I was Anaheim.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Right on, we can finally stop the Zegras + 3rd OVR for Eichel threads!
No way lol ! It's now time for threads where its #3 overall + Zegras + Drysdale + Comtois + Perreault + Rakell + Manson + Lindholm + Dostal + Lundestrom + Terry + Jones + 2022 1st round pick + Stolarz + Lacombe + Thrun + Volkov for Eichel + 7th round pick.

As a kind gesture the Sabres let us keep Steel, Mahura, Tracey, Larsson, Guhle.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
No way lol ! It's now time for threads where its #3 overall + Zegras + Drysdale + Comtois + Perreault + Rakell + Manson + Lindholm + Dostal + Lundestrom + Terry + Jones + 2022 1st round pick + Stolarz + Lacombe + Thrun + Volkov for Eichel + 7th round pick.

As a kind gesture the Sabres let us keep Steel, Mahura, Tracey, Larsson, Guhle.

You forgot the part where we give them Bob's office chair and the Wild Wing statue in the parking lot.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
We've been saying it for weeks now. Especially when the +'s were Gibson, Drysdale, and two other unknowns. Probably Comtois and Terry.
For sure. If that was ever on the table for Buffalo I think the deal would have been done by now. 3rd OV + Zegras for a very talented malcontent who has serious injury issues? I don't see Anaheim making that move though.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
For sure. If that was ever on the table for Buffalo I think the deal would have been done by now. 3rd OV + Zegras for a very talented malcontent who has serious injury issues? I don't see Anaheim making that move though.

That's been our entire argument for 150+ pages. We don't gotta rehash it anymore lmao

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
You forgot the part where we give them Bob's office chair and the Wild Wing statue in the parking lot.
We also give them Martin Madden to lead the Sabres scouting department.

But the best part is that if Eichel is forced to retire early due to neck injury/surgery then the Ducks get a 7th round pick 2050.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
And what's that going to do to the locker room when people who do not want to be there are forced to be there? Isn't the situation in Buffalo toxic enough already?
I can't see it being any worse than it is right now.

In my opinion, most of the hype around an Eichel trade has been a media creation by bored reporters who need something to talk about for all the teams that are no longer playing playoff hockey. No doubt the relationship is rocky, but I don't think Buffalo really wants to move him. If they got a really great offer, they would do so.

All the stuff about the NMC is complete and utter hogwash. It makes no difference whatsoever to Eichel's value now. Maybe it does in three years. It sounds to me like the neck injury is real, painful, and very inconvenient. But both Eichel and the team seem to be confident that it is surmountable. Anyone who wants to acquire Jack must pay full freight.

Sabres are in a good position. They can afford to be patient. Fifty/fifty he's on the ice in Buffalo come December.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad