Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Colin Miller from VGK for STL's 2nd round pick in 2021 and a 5th round pick in 2022

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
FWIW, looking at Miller's usage chart, I wouldn't be expecting him to come in and take on the toughest defensive assignments. He was definitively a bottom right quadrant player in Vegas. He excelled in that role, but dare I throw out the word sheltered? Taking on Risto's deployment would definitely be new territory for him.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I can see them keeping Risto and moving Bogo since he’s a pending UFA. Gain back a couple of assets.
If they can move him by all means. If they keep Risto on top of who they have now at RHD, Bogo really clouds the picture. They won't be able to move him, though. Maybe closer to the deadline if he's healthy.

Nice trade Botts! Miller should be a solid top 4 add, and he was acquired for a pretty cheap price.

The only part of this trade that I don’t like (and this is really nitpicking here) is that it pushes Borgen down the depth chart. I want to see him in the NHL next year because I think he’s gonna be a really good top 4 dman.

But other than that nice work Jason. Glad to see the dcorps finally become a respectful unit.

Borgen will be just fine starting in Rochester. He is going to be a second-year pro. Injuries will hit. Long-term I get the concern but it's not really concern. Just trade one of them from a position of strength at some point.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
If they can move him by all means. If they keep Risto on top of who they have now at RHD, Bogo really clouds the picture. They won't be able to move him, though. Maybe closer to the deadline if he's healthy.

Borgen will be just fine starting in Rochester. He is going to be a second-year pro. Injuries will hit. Long-term I get the concern but it's not really concern. Just trade one of them from a position of strength at some point.

Yea I know we’ll see him sooner rather than later. It’s so nice to see that we’re at a point where one of our top d prospects is gonna have to cook in the minors due to there being sufficient (and good) depth on the backend.

It’s crazy how we went from having Risto and Guhle as the future of our dcorps to having Dahlin and co lead the charge. I guess that’s what getting a ridiculous talent like Dahlin will do to ya.

Reactions: Rasmi

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
FWIW, looking at Miller's usage chart, I wouldn't be expecting him to come in and take on the toughest defensive assignments. He was definitively a bottom right quadrant player in Vegas. He excelled in that role, but dare I throw out the word sheltered? Taking on Risto's deployment would definitely be new territory for him.

It’s been so bad for so long that the fan base is hyperventilating over the acquisition of a 3rd pair D.

It’s a good move. I like it.

I just hope they don’t pair him with McCabe or Scandella and think they can roll that as a 2nd pair/d zone/matchup pair....

He’s either gotta gel with Dahlin... or slide down to the ozone/3rd pair role he’s been successful in.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
You spelled Cirelli wrong
You guys really need to get off the Cirelli wagon. It’s never been rumoured. It’s been brought up on our boards theorized in part by taking on Callahan’s contract.

A contending team in a cap crunch doesn’t trade a productive player on an ELC. Next year may be more feasible but until then they’ll keep the player out producing his salary.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
You guys really need to get off the Cirelli wagon. It’s never been rumoured. It’s been brought up on our boards theorized in part by taking on Callahan’s contract.

A contending team in a cap crunch doesn’t trade a productive player on an ELC. Next year may be more feasible but until then they’ll keep the player out producing his salary.
I understand Tampa probably isn't interested. But the Sabres shouldn't settle for anything less than Cirelli from Tampa. Gourde isn't enough

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

It's being speculated on in the media.
Sabres' acquisition of Colin Miller sets up Buffalo to go in...
Sending Ristolainen to Tampa Bay has been bandied about since the trade deadline. The Lightning need blueliners, with Dan Girardi and Anton Stralman set to depart. They have an overabundance of forwards, but Yanni Gourde and Tyler Johnson have no-trade clauses. Steven Stamkos and restricted free agent Brayden Point aren’t going anywhere, so that could leave the promising 21-year-old Anthony Cirelli for Buffalo.
The Lightning would be loath to give up Cirelli, who just recorded 19 goals and 39 points as a rookie, but he might be the only one who could make the deal work.

Reactions: Dingo44

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
What a great trade. I remember watching Vegas during last years playoffs being envious that Vegas had him. Really stoked he's with us now. He'll slide in so nicely in our top 4

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
If Risto is dealt, is there anyone on the FA market who could theoretically take on some of the "tough" minutes on the right side? Stralman is interesting but not sure how much he has left in the tank, or if he is even suited for that kind of role... If the defense is left as is, it will be very interesting to see how we deploy the pairings.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Last edited:
Reactions: Hasek

Member 308457

With Dahlin, Montour, Pilut and now Miller, (with the psychicly damaged Risto probably on the outs) Buffalo now has offensive defenseman overload. Who's going to do the hitting and the consistent defensive zone play? It better be their partners. Although I look forward to the heavy shots from Miller at the point, I see a d-man logjam on the pp and everywhere else. Maybe that's a good problem? It also concerns me that Miller is now with his fourth team at age 26...

The d-mix and toughness is what I'm worried about. I like how St. Louis bottled up the Bruins in the SCF by their huge, physical defensemen. It frustrated the Bruins to put that blanket over them. We have no towering defensemen to get around.n

It does give all those Swedish defensemen we drafted a year ago more time to simmer in Development Land. And maybe with this infusion, the latest coach can slide d-men into their natural roles.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
If Risto is dealt, is there anyone on the FA market who could theoretically take on some of the "tough" minutes on the right side? Stralman is interesting but not sure how much he has left in the tank, or if he is even suited for that kind of role... If the defense is left as is, it will be very interesting to see how we deploy the pairings.

I think its possible they look that route. Assuming you deal risto and get no dmen back in return..

Dahlin/Stralman
McCabe/Montour
Scandella/Miller

Wouldnt be terrible. Assuming 8 and 48 are your extras until 24 and 4 are healthy

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I wouldn't worry about the PP if we trade Risto. We could always just play Dahlin for the full 2 mins!
a real coach would play dahlin pp1 and put risto in front of the net in unit 1 or two and actually teach him what to do .. he does what he's told , certainly trained harder and bulked up more than anyone last year. Someone could find a way to use his skills properly and avoid situations that expose him as a possible idiot..

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

True, but I think he's the kind of player you acquire thinking "we can get more out of this guy, he can do more." Not necessarily Risto minutes more, but a slightly more balanced role.

Frankly, no one should be playing Risto minutes. If they can split the more difficult match-ups among the 3 pairings in a way that doesn't completely crater 1, that'll do.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014

EW's projected Stralman getting in the neighborhood of 3 years/4.475. If that's what it's going to take, I'm not interested. Counting on a 32 year old to have a bounce back year is a risky proposition at that length and term.

A trade might be a better option. Last off-season's HF favorite, Greg Pateryn, could probably be had for relatively cheap. Michael Russo mentioned they'd be willing to part with him in his Athletic column. He's younger (29) and cheaper (2 years left at 2.25) than Stralman.

Reactions: Rasmi and Fezzy126

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
A late 2nd in 2 years and a 5th for a top dman with 3 years left in his prime at a low cap hit. Cannot complain one bit, I watched a lot of Miller last year in their playoff run. He was there best defensemen from the eye test at least. Now we need to add 2 top 9 players on offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad