Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Colin Miller from VGK for STL's 2nd round pick in 2021 and a 5th round pick in 2022

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
This is actually taking advantage of a situation though.

They would have never moved him if the cap came to > 83M. VGK really had no choice in the matter, Haula and Miller are supplemental pieces that they can replace internally, but it doesn't been they are not valuable. And the value in both cases are pretty bad for them in the deals.

I totally agree, wasn’t saying they aren’t valuable!

Reactions: sandybridge

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
Does anyone know why the goal/points drop of last year and why Miller was a healthy scratch in game one of their playoffs this year. I'm sure it's been mentioned my apologies forbeing lazy .. thanks.

I am happy about the trade and it trends a conservative all in on helping the team that started off so well.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
Cirrelli the real deal? I don't see it. 3rd round pick, 39 points. I'd rather have Risto
Cirelli is one of the most underrated players in the league. Of all of the "available" players in Tampa he is my favorite. That's over.johnson, gourde, palat, etc[/QUOTE]

At least we know Mr Botts.. will be more certain than any of us could ever be about a trade.. especially with Ristolainen with the cup and ror in his rearview . I think we can count on him laying it on the the line for the next couple months to prove himself inside this league and Buffalo.. I couldn't create a situation that guarantees more motivation on the part of any gm.

I hope trusts himself and tells us and everyone above to f off and finish the build he imagined that was hindered by prior gms , Berglund abd a mutiny that mercifully lynched a milqetoast coach that could not adjust to brutal truths..

I have the utmost confidence we will get an intense effort from Jason Botterill .. who has shone many signs he may know what he is doing and has our backs..

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Does anyone know why the goal/points drop of last year and why Miller was a healthy scratch in game one of their playoffs this year. I'm sure it's been mentioned my apologies forbeing lazy .. thanks.

I am happy about the trade and it trends a conservative all in on helping the team that started off so well.

The February one has some print here: Colin Miller’s benching shows no job is safe on Golden Knights

“The only reason he was scratched was because I thought we played our six better guys last night. That was the only reason,” Gallant said Thursday. “Colin had a tough game the night before. It wasn’t from one game. It’s over time, and very seldom do I ever sit a guy because of one game.
“Jon Merrill has come in there and played outstanding hockey. I’m trying to play who I thought the six best guys would be for (Wednesday) night. I don’t know if it’s going to be the same (Friday), but they all played pretty well, pretty good hockey.”

This was from being sat for Game 1 of the playoffs: Vegas' Colin Miller goes from healthy scratch to series standout

And Why Didn't Colin Miller Play Game 1? - SinBin.vegas

I've thought for a while that he was being moved because of the benchings more so than the cap savings. It coincides nicely for McPhee but it seems like Miller was not in Gallant's good graces at times due to his play this year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Not sure if this guy has an axe to grind about Miller, but if this is true, he sounds more like a second pair guy at best and maybe even a frequent target of fans angst.

Yep. Someone commented that he is better in "slush time" and that's fine. If they can get transition from their zone with the second and third pairs great.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Yep. Someone commented that he is better in "slush time" and that's fine. If they can get transition from their zone with the second and third pairs great.
I also don't think this makes trading Risto any more compelling. The D got better adding Miller to a pool with Risto, and short of someone coming out of left field from the prospect crop and breaking the top 4, you hang on to Risto unless someone overpays. Like an earlier tweet said, 2 picks seems the price for an NHL Dman right now. You absolutely hang on to Risto if that's the return.

Reactions: k8prisoner

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
The February one has some print here: Colin Miller’s benching shows no job is safe on Golden Knights

This was from being sat for Game 1 of the playoffs: Vegas' Colin Miller goes from healthy scratch to series standout

And Why Didn't Colin Miller Play Game 1? - SinBin.vegas

I've thought for a while that he was being moved because of the benchings more so than the cap savings. It coincides nicely for McPhee but it seems like Miller was not in Gallant's good graces at times due to his play this year.

Thanks . ...sounds like it could go both ways but, a change of scenery and a coach that gets to know him and understands how to get him to buy in better than gallant.. Nice . maybe botts is a mad genius.. maybe not but it gets more interesting . really slowly over the summer.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
Not sure if this guy has an axe to grind about Miller, but if this is true, he sounds more like a second pair guy at best and maybe even a frequent target of fans angst.
what stays in the land of fear and loathing may be less when scores need to be settled. I think I like him more now that i read his interview and that article. He has something to prove and may have bern gallants whipping boy and seemed to feel he was part of what went on there. Did we just get a confident emotional problem child that needs to be humbled to get the most from him . whatever it is the high end seems great and the rest is just effort and attention to detail.

Last edited:

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
As of 10:40 est, there were 12 replies on the Vegas forum compared to 10 pages on the Sabres.
Yeah but what are the relative costs of living in the nice suburbs.

I kid, I kid.

I'm not jumping into this headfirst, but the cost is negligible. I agree with previous poster who said this now makes the ROR trade needle depend on Johnson/Thompson, although that would sound vaguely lewd in Leeds

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
This is what I’ve been saying all along... you still need guys who can play transition hockey on your 3rd pair. There’s nothing wrong with acquiring a 3rd pair D.
Yes. We need players who can excel in SOME role, period. That is how you build actual depth. Just don't tell the Larsson-Zemgus haters.

Adding Montour and Miller on top of Risto and the rest on the right side has seriously altered the theoretic ability to suitably fill roles on D. We just need Kreuger and company to sort it out. Then we can see what we really have and build from there. I'd love to add a forward or two who have proven able to produce counting stats and analytics in specific roles like secondary scoring or checking duties, on top of what we already have, for the same reasons. Jettison/bury players who have shown they can not do either in any role (current Sobotka, Hunwick).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks . ...sounds like it could go both ways but, a change of scenery and a coach that gets to know him and understands how to get him to buy in better than gallant.. Nice . maybe botts is a mad genius.. maybe not but it gets more interesting . really slowly over the summer.

I'm not sure if there is a coach in the NHL who was able to get a room to buy in better than Gallant has in the last two years. But I'm hopeful that someone who has good transition skills and the ability to push the puck up the ice will help the team spend less time in their own zone.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Maybe Miller can come to Buffalo with a story of what it's like for a group of guys who feel slighted or down on themselves, to come together and prove people wrong about them. Hopefully Krueger can catch that attitude and bottle it up like lightning, and let it out on the ice in October. Playing some right hockey will make a bigger difference, but an attitude swing would really help.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Getting blasted in comments on twitter. Hope he is better than their fans think he played. Saying he lacked drive.
if he truly lacks drive, he’ll fit in just fine

As a Bolts fan, I come in peace..

Hell of a steal for you guys. He should provide some serious minutes and solid defense this season. Nice job by your GM!
our GM has one good move in him per offseason. We’re cowering waiting for the next ones.

No. That's why it would have to be Gourde. Hes a proven top 6 forward anyway. Why the obsession with Cirelli over him? Gourde is proven.
cirelli is 6 years younger and cost-controlled, which makes him more valuable, but as others noted TBL would loathe losing Cirelli so it won’t happen.

Botteril, for all his warts, really functions well when he's on the side of "quantity" in the quality for quantity trades. I trust him a lot more getting value for his picks/futures than I do getting value for his roster players.

That being said, I'm not really interested in testing this theory again with Botteril being the one giving up the best (or at least most valuable) player in a deal.
I don’t get that at all.

IKR? Look no farther than the most recent award night to see a bunch of players winning recognitions and those guys were not first round picks. Good players develop. Sometimes even from somewhere outside the top picks.
maybe the Sabres will have some of their players develop next decade? Maybe. Maybe?

The best part about this trade is it means we aren’t going to do something stupid like give Tyler Myers 7 x $7m
not 7/1 yet... Botts still has time...

k8prisoner said:
At least we know Mr Botts.. will be more certain than any of us could ever be about a trade.. especially with Ristolainen with the cup and ror in his rearview . I think we can count on him laying it on the the line for the next couple months to prove himself inside this league and Buffalo.. I couldn't create a situation that guarantees more motivation on the part of any gm.

I hope trusts himself and tells us and everyone above to f off and finish the build he imagined that was hindered by prior gms , Berglund abd a mutiny that mercifully lynched a milqetoast coach that could not adjust to brutal truths..

I have the utmost confidence we will get an intense effort from Jason Botterill .. who has shone many signs he may know what he is doing and has our backs..
Not sure if serious. I disagree. If Pegulas directed the ROR trade, they and Botts know the window is pushed out. Which means there’s no motivation to do anything “heroic”.

Last edited:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I don’t get that at all.
In reference to a "quality for quantity" or "quantity for quality" trade...
Quality = one good or valuable player
Quantity = numerous pieces of varying value that ideally total to or beyond the value of the one good or valuable player

When Botts is the one giving up the quality side of the equation... see: O'Reilly for futures and cap dumps... he doesn't do well.

When he's the one giving up the quantity... see: picks and Pu for Skinner, picks for Miller... he seems to get better value.

In a deal sending Risto out the door, it looks more to me like he'd be the quality side of the equation. One good or valuable player for numerous pieces of varying value. Let's say, for example, something from Tampa like Risto for X, Callahan and a pick. One for many.

Given his track record, I'm less confident he'll get value in those circumstances and thusly am more apprehensive about seeing him move Risto.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1