Confirmed with Link: Sabres acquire Colin Miller from VGK for STL's 2nd round pick in 2021 and a 5th round pick in 2022

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
When Botts is the one giving up the quality side of the equation... see: O'Reilly for futures and cap dumps... he doesn't do well.

When he's the one giving up the quantity... see: picks and Pu for Skinner, picks for Miller... he seems to get better value.

Given his track record, I'm less confident he'll get value in those circumstances and thusly am more apprehensive about seeing him move Risto.
In the Skinner and Miller deals, the team negotiating with BUF had less leverage. CAR didn't want Skinner long-term, he would only waive to go to TOR or BUF, and TOR didn't have the cap. In the Miller deal, VGK had to shed cap, and lacked leverage.

I don't think it's a quantity vs. quality angle. It's simply team leverage.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
In the Skinner and Miller deals, the team negotiating with BUF had less leverage. CAR didn't want Skinner long-term, he would only waive to go to TOR or BUF, and TOR didn't have the cap. In the Miller deal, VGK had to shed cap, and lacked leverage.

I don't think it's a quantity vs. quality angle. It's simply team leverage.
I'd still say it's a quality vs quantity angle. It's just common that the team giving up quality are usually doing so from a disadvantageous position, otherwise they would keep the quality player. All the more reason to not do it if you don't have to.

It's harder to win a trade where you're giving up the best piece. Botts limited sample size in doing that just has even worse optics than the norm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad