Post-Game Talk: Sabres 2 @ Canucks 5 | 7/12/15

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The only time the universe took some time off was when the NHL let the Bure draft selection stand.

OK, and acquiring Naslund.
If HFBoards was around in 1996, this board would have gone ape-poop when Stojanov scored his first goal in his first game as a Penguin, though. There'd be like five threads on the NHL boards about who won the trade.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I guess even if we are throwing in the towels for the season, there are SOME games that should be won to at least put on a picture that the team still retains hope, and this is one of those games.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
The Hutton injury pretty much proved that. But I think if the injury bug can stay away from Sedins, Edler, Tanev, and Hutton, this team has just enough to make the show.

Lol at people want to sneak into the playoffs with this current washed up core. What a joke.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Maybe, but not all teams leave their fans disappointed in them.

And whose fault is it if a bunch of the Canucks own fans don't seem to want them to even bother trying to win? Fans who are "disappointed" by the team doing well enough to make the playoffs? :laugh:

I think that statement is more an indictment of some "fans", than anything about the team itself.

There are plenty of fanbases out there who are thrilled just to see their team in the playoff hunt and maybe sneak in and see what they can do. Maybe some Canucks fans have just been a bit too spoiled over the last decade or so. Having only missed the playoffs 3 times since the lockout. :dunno:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
And whose fault is it if a bunch of the Canucks own fans don't seem to want them to even bother trying to win? Fans who are "disappointed" by the team doing well enough to make the playoffs? :laugh:

I think that statement is more an indictment of some "fans", than anything about the team itself.

There are plenty of fanbases out there who are thrilled just to see their team in the playoff hunt and maybe sneak in and see what they can do. Maybe some Canucks fans have just been a bit too spoiled over the last decade or so. Having only missed the playoffs 3 times since the lockout. :dunno:

I dont speak for everyone but I've been around long enough for both the lean and strong years. I'm not *spoiled* about anything. I am however not interested in a team that performed like the one I watched last spring. I will watch the team in good times, and I will watch the team in bad times, provided there is a rebuild in progress (as it was from 1998-2001). But I didn't care much for the 1997 team that thought it was a contender when it was actually rotting at the core, and I don't care for the current incarnation either.

I like progress, either competing for the cup or building towards it. I don't care for wheel spinning, which last season most definitely was and this season is only partly better for.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I dont speak for everyone but I've been around long enough for both the lean and strong years. I'm not *spoiled* about anything. I am however not interested in a team that performed like the one I watched last spring. I will watch the team in good times, and I will watch the team in bad times, provided there is a rebuild in progress (as it was from 1998-2001). But I didn't care much for the 1997 team that thought it was a contender when it was actually rotting at the core, and I don't care for the current incarnation either.

I like progress, either competing for the cup or building towards it. I don't care for wheel spinning, which last season most definitely was and this season is only partly better for.

I don't really see how a team integrating a pair of teenagers, a 20 year old #2/3C, a rookie defenceman and essentially a "pseudo-rookie" winger...with whom eleventy billion prospects have made their NHL debut for already this season...is "spinning its wheels". This is easily the most "future-oriented" Canucks team i can recall in a very very long time.

But i suppose it's your prerogative to think otherwise. I simply do not agree that this is "wheel spinning" though, given the strong emphasis on developing young players for the future, and hanging on to top picks and prospects, not making desperate pushes trading them away for old veteran band-aids.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
If HFBoards was around in 1996, this board would have gone ape-poop when Stojanov scored his first goal in his first game as a Penguin, though. There'd be like five threads on the NHL boards about who won the trade.

When Tiger Williams was leading the Canucks in the 1982 post-season; one could say the same about the trade that acquired him.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I don't really see how a team integrating a pair of teenagers, a 20 year old #2/3C, a rookie defenceman and essentially a "pseudo-rookie" winger...with whom eleventy billion prospects have made their NHL debut for already this season...is "spinning its wheels". This is easily the most "future-oriented" Canucks team i can recall in a very very long time.

But i suppose it's your prerogative to think otherwise. I simply do not agree that this is "wheel spinning" though, given the strong emphasis on developing young players for the future, and hanging on to top picks and prospects, not making desperate pushes trading them away for old veteran band-aids.

We have different tolerances for wheel spinning I suppose. I've seen and read enough of your posts on the matter to know there is a sizeable gap in our expectations for a rebuild. And while I can respect your opinion - it is well articulated - it does not align with my own. This team could be doing more to expedite the pace of the rebuild, beyond the integration of young players (which I admit has been good this year). But there have been decisions ranging from careless trading of draft picks to WD's ridiculous handling of kids ice time that have shown the focus is not squarely on a rebuild at this time. This team has stated (and is behaving) as if making the playoffs is a serious and laudable goal for this club, to which I strongly disagree. The rebuild is coming whether owners want to admit it or not, I just can't tolerate watching a team that obviously needs it while everyone else talks of "chasing a playoff spot" as if it is important or matters. Maybe to the Aquillini's bottom line it does, but that's not my concern.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

I wouldn't call what they're doing developing...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
We have different tolerances for wheel spinning I suppose. I've seen and read enough of your posts on the matter to know there is a sizeable gap in our expectations for a rebuild. And while I can respect your opinion - it is well articulated - it does not align with my own. This team could be doing more to expedite the pace of the rebuild, beyond the integration of young players (which I admit has been good this year). But there have been decisions ranging from careless trading of draft picks to WD's ridiculous handling of kids ice time that have shown the focus is not squarely on a rebuild at this time. This team has stated (and is behaving) as if making the playoffs is a serious and laudable goal for this club, to which I strongly disagree. The rebuild is coming whether owners want to admit it or not, I just can't tolerate watching a team that obviously needs it while everyone else talks of "chasing a playoff spot" as if it is important or matters. Maybe to the Aquillini's bottom line it does, but that's not my concern.

I guess it just comes down to very different expectations on how long a rebuild really takes.

To me, this is the early stages of a rebuild. The dark times are likely coming, like you say...one way or another. But there's movement toward integrating youth and looking toward the future. And not much sense in racing to the bottom...when you have two of the ~top-10 most productive players in the entire league, and one of the better top defensive "shutdown" pairings. Those are major building blocks of a playoff team imo, the kind of pieces that teams "tank" for...and aren't going anywhere - making a "blow it up" race to the bottom an unrealistic option - even if mailing it in on multiple seasons were a desirable culture to install.

Just really hard to wrap my head around the mentality of "fans" who find a playoff appearance "disappointing". As though in a hurry to be terrible, and winning games is somehow getting in the way of the highly enjoyable exercise of losing every possible game...in pursuit of some distant possibility of one day 5+ years from now, maybe having once again a pair of top-10 scorers and an above average top defensive pairing...if things go exceptionally well. When these are pieces that we already have in place now... :dunno:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I guess it just comes down to very different expectations on how long a rebuild really takes.

To me, this is the early stages of a rebuild. The dark times are likely coming, like you say...one way or another. But there's movement toward integrating youth and looking toward the future. And not much sense in racing to the bottom...when you have two of the ~top-10 most productive players in the entire league, and one of the better top defensive "shutdown" pairings. Those are major building blocks of a playoff team imo, the kind of pieces that teams "tank" for...and aren't going anywhere - making a "blow it up" race to the bottom an unrealistic option - even if mailing it in on multiple seasons were a desirable culture to install.

Just really hard to wrap my head around the mentality of "fans" who find a playoff appearance "disappointing". As though in a hurry to be terrible, and winning games is somehow getting in the way of the highly enjoyable exercise of losing every possible game...in pursuit of some distant possibility of one day 5+ years from now, maybe having once again a pair of top-10 scorers and an above average top defensive pairing...if things go exceptionally well. When these are pieces that we already have in place now... :dunno:

Well let's be fair here, we are winning the odd game, which doesn't amount to much. I mean I guess if you just want to take each game in isolation and cheer every hit, every goal, and every win apart from the bigger picture of the season or the direction the team is headed then that's your prerogative. I personally can't do it. I can't help but see the bigger picture of the team and its direction. If we are building towards a cup then I can live with a bad team. If we are killing time until the Sedins retire before we are "bad enough" to acquire top end talent at the draft then I really can't. It feels like a waste of time to me. For some it doesn't and I get that, but I just can't get excited about a mid-December win over Buffalo or watching us get dismantled by a very mediocre Flames team in the first round of the playoffs.

As you say the "dark days" are coming. I'd just as soon they get here now rather than have to wait two more years of not really doing much in order to get started on the job ahead. Waiting for it is just as bad as living through it, for me anyhow.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
This is the first time the Canucks have had a coherent scouting-drafting and development strategy. I can't want for this years draft.

Yeah, putting Pedan on the fourth line is an awesome development strategy.

Or you know, taking Shink and Gaunce completely out of their rhythm by calling them up and not playing them.

I think signing Mac "0 points in the ECHL" Stew to a NHL contract before he did **** was a solid strategy as well.

Gosh Benning so smart.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah, putting Pedan on the fourth line is an awesome development strategy.

Or you know, taking Shink and Gaunce completely out of their rhythm by calling them up and not playing them.

I think signing Mac "0 points in the ECHL" Stew to a NHL contract before he did **** was a solid strategy as well.

Gosh Benning so smart.
Ho hum this is stuff that happens on all teams all the time but for some reason the haters gotta hate. I guess this is all big news if you only follow the Canucks and don't really follow other teams.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Ho hum this is stuff that happens on all teams all the time but for some reason the haters gotta hate. I guess this is all big news if you only follow the Canucks and don't really follow other teams.

I do actually. And you're right about this being "nothing new", this team is doing what the Oilers, the Jackets, the Leafs and the Flames (to name a few) have been doing for the last decade or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad