Post-Game Talk: Sabres 2 @ Canucks 5 | 7/12/15

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
My god, is the Pacific ever a hot mess this season. Canucks are tied for second lowest amount of wins of any team in the league, and still have a playoff spot in the Pacific. *shakes head*

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
My god, is the Pacific ever a hot mess this season. Canucks are tied for second lowest amount of wins of any team in the league, and still have a playoff spot in the Pacific. *shakes head*

Blessing in disguise or is it a curse? I lean towards the second alternative sadly.. and I normally despise tanking.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Meh, not so long ago the Pacific was considered the best division in hockey and the Central was brutal. It happens, teams get good and then become bad.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Blessing in disguise or is it a curse? I lean towards the second alternative sadly.. and I normally despise tanking.

I loathe the notion of "tanking" but if we miss the playoffs and get a middling pick because of a record number of loser points ... that will be the Canuckiest thing that's ever happened.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Cool, funny how the two cup finalists last year had fourth lines consisting of players who could actually play the game well. Kruger and Paquete were both excellent for their teams. I'm not one that undervalues tough players that can actually play the sport but, finding a quality 4th liner is extremely easy, and numerous could be had for under 2 million a year.

Cracknell is the perfect example of your premise.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
I loathe the notion of "tanking" but if we miss the playoffs and get a middling pick because of a record number of loser points ... that will be the Canuckiest thing that's ever happened.

Pretty much. I, personally, take a playoff run over drafting top 5 any day - but I don't see how this team makes the playoff right now and a middle of the pack pick doesn't really do anything for the organization.

CP

Thou shalt not Tank
Mar 8, 2008
Even if they miss the playoffs, they likely pick in the 10 to 14 range. I'd rather pick in the 15 to18 range and see some playoff games.

Anyone who thinks the Canucks will ever win the lottery hasn't followed this team long enough. So let's just avoid the tank and cheer for a win.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Even if they miss the playoffs, they likely pick in the 10 to 14 range. I'd rather pick in the 15 to18 range and see some playoff games.

Anyone who thinks the Canucks will ever win the lottery hasn't followed this team long enough. So let's just avoid the tank and cheer for a win.

remember the 2005 draft lottery when all those teams' balls came up but not ours until 21? did anyone believe for real, even in the moment of watching it, that we could win the lottery and get crosby? or did we all expect to get the high but not that high pick, pass on the franchise player who fell to us, draft a project, who then would tragically die before even becoming a regular player? #canuckiest

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

What a bizarre statement. You think there's voodoo magic happening? Like the universe cares that much about keeping the Canucks down?

We're one injury away from bottom 5

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015

numbers, learning them will have a significant value in life

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
What a bizarre statement. You think there's voodoo magic happening? Like the universe cares that much about keeping the Canucks down?

Yes. Yes it does.

The only time the universe took some time off was when the NHL let the Bure draft selection stand.

OK, and acquiring Naslund.

okSourdough

Mar 27, 2010
remember the 2005 draft lottery when all those teams' balls came up but not ours until 21? did anyone believe for real, even in the moment of watching it, that we could win the lottery and get crosby? or did we all expect to get the high but not that high pick, pass on the franchise player who fell to us, draft a project, who then would tragically die before even becoming a regular player? #canuckiest

Actually we drafted 10th that year not 21st. Luc Bourdon rest his soul.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Buffalo were terrible. Started off well then disappeared.

Ullmark was all over the place. Looked like a junior goalie.

Bartkowski needs to go; just awful.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Pretty much. I, personally, take a playoff run over drafting top 5 any day - but I don't see how this team makes the playoff right now and a middle of the pack pick doesn't really do anything for the organization.

a playoff run is one thing but this team is actually worse than the first round exit against Calgary last year.

A top 5 pick is what is desperately needed and some high end Dman prospects even moreso.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver

don't you know that every time something doesn't go the Canucks way it's a conspiracy...well at least to far too many fans it is.

The lottery in the draft is just that a lottery can go anyway.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
don't you know that every time something doesn't go the Canucks way it's a conspiracy...well at least to far too many fans it is.

The lottery in the draft is just that a lottery can go anyway.

Lighten up. As a Canucks fan it's enjoyable to moan about the team's history of bad luck. Don't take away people's small, harmless pleasures.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Actually we drafted 10th that year not 21st. Luc Bourdon rest his soul.

I assume the poster was counting backwards from 30, as the lottery results were announced 30th, 29th, etc. We were the 21st team "announced" when we were revealed to have the 10th pick. Confused me a bit too but ultimately it is correct.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Depends. If this team looked like the 2011 team, then hell ya sign me up.

Since this team looks like a worse version of the 2015 team that got punted by the lowest seeded team in the entire playoffs ... nah, I'd rather pass on getting embarrassed and just pick 1-8 spots higher.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Lighten up. As a Canucks fan it's enjoyable to moan about the team's history of bad luck. Don't take away people's small, harmless pleasures.

If they were just moaning then sure, fill yer boots.

But they were using it (it appeared) as a legitimate argument for the tired ol' "hey guys let's all forget that stupid tank and cheer for a win" trope that gets dragged out every 4 or 5 games after the team manages to muster up a win.

So really its not about lightening up, its about not having to listen to stupid arguments for why we should all drink the kool-aid together.

But don't worry, I get it. We beat Buffalo. Exciting times. Woo hoo playoffs!!!

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I thought both teams were a mess defensively for much of the first. Which isn't a shock because both teams are a mess defensively. Against most other teams the canucks aren't getting a sniff at some of the goals they scored. Sabres were very sloppy and they tired quickly playing back to back and third in 4 nights with travel (Arizona --> Edmonton --> Vancouver). Still don't like the 30+ shots against.

I'm not sure that play will win a lot of games, but it was a step forward, just not a huge one IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad