Salary Cap: Saad Times: Come for the Kessel Rumors; Stay for the Red Panda Gifs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's stuff like this that I have no idea what to do with.

On the one hand, it's TIOPS, and he hasn't been good in like six years.

On the other hand, this is the exact kind of unnecessary, log-jamming move I expect from JR.

So torn.

That's the beauty of rumor monger sites like TIOPS, HockeyBuzz, and ICSaysGimmeYourMoney . . . they know anything is believable where JR is concerned, and the more insane, the more plausible.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Or perhaps there's another reason why he sucked hard last year? Look at his TSN bio with regards to his injuries. He missed chunks of games all season long. Who knows how healthy his wrist was at the beginning of the season. And that team was horrible.

Honestly... what risk is there in signing him to a 2m 1 year contract (using your numbers)? In that situation he eats up 1.1m of cap space if we send him down. That's what you're betting here is 1.1m of cap space on whether he is completely washed out, or if perhaps last season was an abbreviation from what his statistical norm was (and statistically, it was). For 1.1m, I take that risk every single day.

Right, but I take it that you're "sending him down" option still assumes we go and get to 4 good wingers + Semin? If Semin does come back to at least being a decent scoring winger (which he won't), what do you do with Semin now, realistically speaking? You already have 4 other good wingers (likely acquired for FAR more $ and/or assets than Semin) in your top 6. Semin even at his peak needed top 6 minutes and linemates to perform. He is completely wasted in the bottom 6, not built for it and simply not that type of player.

The more realistic scenario is that if we get Semin, JR missed some targets and is settling on him instead of another winger. Maybe it's instead of the "B" winger in our quest for 2 more wingers this offseason, but we are missing out on a better player either way, I'd bet on that. Finally, I'm not a fan of the Pens wasting cap space, even if it is just $1.1M.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We heard that about Spaling. He can play all sorts of positions! Yeah... he also sucks and does a whole lot of nothing. We don't need more of that.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Eh, luke warm on him. Kind of like with Sharp. Wouldn't complain all that much if we got him, but not really prepared to give up all that much for him. The main difference is that Yak is what... 21/22?

21. I'd complain about Sharp, but Yakupov... idk, his IQ isn't great but If he's cheap then whatever. The problem would be if they were convinced he was the top 6 solution and clung to that for the next 5 years even if he sucks. I doubt he's be cheap, though.

penguins2946*

I play Protoss

159.gif

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We heard that about Spaling. He can play all sorts of positions! Yeah... he also sucks and does a whole lot of nothing. We don't need more of that.

Not quite what we heard about Spaling.

Cue Dejan . . .

'Santorelli also could slot into the top six'.

NOW it's what we heard about Spaling.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
IKR? That's why I posted it...

Also, Santorelli is SO random. That's like. Oh, We struck out on Winnik, so why not go for the OTHER winger from TOR that is useless.

:help:

Jesus...why do I feel I have to go to Pittsburgh to spell this **** out with ****ing crayons for these people?

Where does he fit in? Seriously?

Dupuis-XXXX-Bennett
Spaling-Sundqvist-Santo?

Is that even worth it? Plotnikov in the top 6? What about Tikhonov?

Just soooooooo f-ing random. He's a guy you sign July 3rd/4th when major plans have shaken out and settled. He's a hole filler...nothing more, nothing less.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh

Jesus...why do I feel I have to go to Pittsburgh to spell this **** out with ****ing crayons for these people?

Dupuis-XXXX-Bennett
Spaling-Sundqvist-Santo?

Just soooooooo f-ing random. He's a guy you sign July 3rd/4th when major plans have shaken out and settled. He's a hole filler...nothing more, nothing less.

lol the penguins don't have a long term plan. they just do random **** in the short term and hope it works out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Dupuis-XXXX-Bennett
Spaling-Sundqvist-Santo?

No, no, this makes sense. We can have about a dozen bottom six forwards to go with the half dozen bottom pairing defensemen we've already got.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I think Semin will be a Pen in the next day or two. 1 year 2mil contract to try and prove that hes still an NHL top 6 winger.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

They're really not the same type of players though. Spaling's game is based around being in position at all times. A coach's dream.

Santorelli would be a depth skilled guy. He was money for Vancouver in a scoring line role. And played pretty well for the Leafs before being traded to Nashville.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think Semin will be a Pen in the next day or two. 1 year 2mil contract to try and prove that hes still an NHL top 6 winger.

Related news?

Word is Malkin broke up with his GF, told her I'm already getting ****** every day by the Pens, what do I need you for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad