Proposal: Saad+Mitchell for W. Nylander

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I'd rather have Nylander over Schmaltz mostly because he'd probably play better with Kane.

Schmaltz is good, but I hate the way he plays with Kane, and there's no spot for him on the 1st line.

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Schmaltz is as good and it could be argued, better than Nylander...why would Chicago add????
Nylander is a way better center than Schmaltz and not afraid of physical contact..that alone makes him more valuable to me..put him between Saad and Kane and thats a dynamite line

Reactions: Kevin Musto

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Nylander is a way better center than Schmaltz and not afraid of physical contact..that alone makes him more valuable to me..put him between Saad and Kane and thats a dynamite line
Schmaltz is better defensively, Nylander is still the better player, but it is much closer than you suggest. Schmaltz and Forsling makes no sense for us to do...

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Nylander hasn't even played C. Schmaltz is better defensively by quite a bit, and offensively there isn't much of a gap.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The idea of this Blackhawks thread is to fleece the Leafs. Not for the Leafs to steal from the Blackhawks. Otherwise, what's the point?

Reactions: pvr

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
The idea of this Blackhawks thread is to fleece the Leafs. Not for the Leafs to steal from the Blackhawks. Otherwise, what's the point?
Agree. Hawks now on the other side of cap difficulties. Leaves are in a similar position to previous Hawks years.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Not worthless. I like Forsling, but his spot on the roster is going to get cannibalised soon.
It just doesn't make sense to make that trade. Nylander has not been a C yet, so can he do it? Schmaltz and Kane have great chemistry, will Nylander and Kane? Schmaltz produces nearly asmmuch as Nylander last year, and better defensively. Highly likely Schmaltz signs for less than Nylander. So what's the point of that trade?

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Schmaltz and Kane have great chemistry
I don't agree with this. Schmaltz is too reliant on Kane, it's very one-sided. Combined with Saad, they look incredibly lazy. The difference is that style works for Kane. Schmaltz isn't Kane but he thinks he is.

Reactions: BHFAN92

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Agree. Hawks now on the other side of cap difficulties. Leaves are in a similar position to previous Hawks years.
The Hawks would be in a great financial situation without Seabrook's contract. That would give us the ability to sign 2 star FAs next year. With the young defensemen and possibly a healthy Crow ... that would make the Hawks legitimate Cup contenders.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
We can potentially revisit this later (2020 offseason?)

Saad would be a good Marleau replacement when he retires. Murphy could replace Hainsey. And hopefully Saads value raises a bit, if he gets going and pots 50pts.

Nylander likely re-signs with TO on a 1 year deal

Saad+Murphy (50% retained)+Mitchell for Nylander+Leivo

Saad - Matthews - Kapanen
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Grundstrom - Lindholm - xx

Reilly - Murphy
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Liljegren

Andersen
Sparks

//

Debrincat - Toews - Nylander
Kahun - Schmaltz - Kane
Leivo - Anisimov - Sikura
Hayden - Kruger - Kampf

Keith - Jokiharju
Forsling - Seabrook
Manning - Boqvist

Crawford
Delia

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't agree with this. Schmaltz is too reliant on Kane, it's very one-sided. Combined with Saad, they look incredibly lazy. The difference is that style works for Kane. Schmaltz isn't Kane but he thinks he is.
They even talk about the chemistry they have. It's dumb to deny it. Yes. Schmaltz doesn't shoot as much as he should, but they know where each other are going to be, and where they are going, and work very well together.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
They even talk about the chemistry they have. It's dumb to deny it. Yes. Schmaltz doesn't shoot as much as he should, but they know where each other are going to be, and where they are going, and work very well together.
They don't. They make each other look lazier than they are.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
The problem for Toronto is Matthews and Marner will need to be resigned after this season and both will get huge money - Matthews almost certainly over $10M and Marner probably in the $8M range. Between the two of them it will increase Toronto's cap hit by around $17M-$18M and with the $11M they just paid Tavares they can't afford what Nylander wants. They also have Kapanen and Leivo coming off the ELCs next summer - so there's more cap space required.

Toronto still has Nathan Horton's buyout on the cap which is $5.3M this season and next. Maybe something can be worked out where the Hawks take back that $5.3M in a trade. From Toronto's perspective the Horton cap hit essentially cancels out Saad's $6M cap hit and at least they would have a warm body to plug into the lineup this season instead of nothing from Nylander as he holds out. I don't know if the numbers work for the Hawks though because of that $5.3M counting against the 2019/20 cap which is when Schmaltz's raise will hit.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

glad to see someone else sees that schmaltz is not a good fit with Kane. IMO schmaltz and Kane are a terrible fit together, Schmaltz should be a Centre for a kick ass third line such as Saad-Schmaltz-Sikura.

AA is the correct C for Kane and I don't understand why anyone would fight that, its obvious.

Reactions: BHFAN92

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad