Proposal: Saad+Mitchell for W. Nylander

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I posted this in the Main Trade forum.
I think this is pretty fair for both sides.
what do you guys think. Hawks could yous a RH F. I don't know how good Nylander's shot is but if it is good, it would help with the PP a bunch. I think Nylander is a smarter buy than Panarin personally.
If Saad didn't have that bad year, I think it would have been doable straight up, but then at the same time, the Hawks wouldn't want to move him either. Hawks are loaded on the RHD, and they really don't have a ton of young high upside F so it would make sense in a multitude of ways for both teams.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Ok
I guess I thought Mitchell was nearly as highly regarded as Jokiharju.
I didn't realize he wasn't at that level.
Never mind then
for me, Mitchell isn't the problem, he is very highly touted and typically shows up in most top 50 prospect lists..

the issue would be why would they take on Saad for $6mil when Nylander seems to be asking for $8?? just pay the dude and avoid an inferior player in Saad and they need defense help now, Mitchell isn't that for them until maybe next year.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I think @DisgruntledHawkFan put it best. You want Nylander, either Boqvist or Jokiharju is going the other way. Nylander is the goods.

But in either case, Leafs need an established top defensemen right now since they are trying to compete for a cup. Neither those guys or Mitchell will help them get to where they need to get to this year.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Nylander won't go anywhere because nobody trades young, NHL ready defensemen, for wingers. Regardless of how good that winger is.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Nylander is a really good player but the issue is that we are talking about a 35 point Saad and not a 50-55 point Saad. Nylander is a 60-70 point player who has played with Matthews most of his career. How much better will Nylander get?

50 point Saad plus Mitchell for Nylander has the potential to be a steal for the Leafs but Saad has been meh so far. He would be a really good line mate for Matthews though.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Probably because of the caphits involved more so than the players, right?
I think it is close at that point. It all depends on your opinion of Murphy, I think of him pretty highly. He's a solid middle pairing RHD, which is what they need.
They laugh because it's terrible value. The cap hit just makes it worse.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
How so?
I don't see it that way.
Saad and Murphy help them more than Nylander alone. You must be one of those people who is on the Q train of Murphy Sucks. I don't know what you're watching.
Murphy is a middle pairing guy and Saad looks awful right now. That's not enough to make Leafs fans interested. Neither is a former 2nd rounder who had one good year so far after being drafted.

Don't start assuming things about how I feel about this team or about a specific player just because I, like most hockey fans, think the proposals you've made here have been crap.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
The reality would be more like Anisimov AND Forsling. Murphy is coming off of back surgery. Anisimov's contract is more acceptable at $4.5mn than Saad's. Forsling would have to show that he can be a top 4 DMen though. The Leafs are looking for help now while alleviating the cap due to their younger players wanting more money in the near future.

The longer Nylander sits, the Leafs will want to get rid of the headache.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Murphy is a middle pairing guy and Saad looks awful right now. That's not enough to make Leafs fans interested. Neither is a former 2nd rounder who had one good year so far after being drafted.

Don't start assuming things about how I feel about this team or about a specific player just because I, like most hockey fans, think the proposals you've made here have been crap.
It depends on which Saad the Leafs think they're getting. If it is 35 pt lazy Saad then you're absolutely right. It is a horrible proposal. If they get the 55 point Saad who plays hard then they win easily. Their defense is horrid so Murphy can help them. The uncertainty of Saad is what makes this even a possibility. If we knew we were getting the 55pt Saad that plays defense, then I'd rather keep Saad and Murphy. I didn't know that it was Saad you thought was lacking the value. And accept my apology for not asking.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
None of its going to happen anyway
I don't think this happens either ... but the Leafs don't want to pay Nylander because they know they have to pay their better younger players a ton of money soon. The Tavares signing makes Nylander more expendable. The Leafs will be looking for good young cheap DMen. Until Forsling plays and proves himself, a Nylander trade is highly doubtful.

The Leafs are not going to take Saad and Murphy's contract. They want less money back. They might take Saad's contract if he plays like a top 6 forward again. Saad + Forsling might entice them. Then again, if Saad plays like before, the Hawks wouldn't trade him either.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don't think this happens either ... but the Leafs don't want to pay Nylander because they know they have to pay their better younger players a ton of money soon. The Tavares signing makes Nylander more expendable. The Leafs will be looking for good young cheap DMen. Until Forsling plays and proves himself, a Nylander trade is highly doubtful.

The Leafs are not going to take Saad and Murphy's contract. They want less money back.
The more I think about this, the more I think that the money just isn't palatable for them. The value isnt off assuming that Saad returns to form, but the 10M is a huge deal for them. I think they're trying to avoid getting into a cap bind and having to unload assets at discount prices.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I just want Saad off the Hawks. He still has some value around the league and there are guys in Rockford who can give me what he’s giving and they want it more.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I just want Saad off the Hawks. He still has some value around the league and there are guys in Rockford who can give me what he’s giving and they want it more.
Saad still has $18mn for 3 more years left on his contract. It won't be easy to move unless Saad gets in gear.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Nylander isn’t getting moved for a bunch of spare parts.

If somebody offered you AA+Murphy for DeBrincat what would you say?
It would have to Anisimov and a Forsling who plays well in his return from injury. (i.e. Forsling has to show he can be a top 4 DMen).

Murphy's contract and back injury makes him close to untradeable for now.

If Nylander continues to demand $8mn/year, it decreases his value too. That's a lot of guaranteed money for potential. Would you give DeBrincat $8mn/year right now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad