Proposal: Saad+Mitchell for W. Nylander

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he is not going to make as much as Seguin...as a winger and one that has not lead any offensive categories in his career here, $8-9mil seems as high as he will get...and that is a great amount for him.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
I don't think this happens either ... but the Leafs don't want to pay Nylander because they know they have to pay their better younger players a ton of money soon. The Tavares signing makes Nylander more expendable. The Leafs will be looking for good young cheap DMen. Until Forsling plays and proves himself, a Nylander trade is highly doubtful.

The Leafs are not going to take Saad and Murphy's contract. They want less money back. They might take Saad's contract if he plays like a top 6 forward again. Saad + Forsling might entice them. Then again, if Saad plays like before, the Hawks wouldn't trade him either.

We need good young cheap DMen as well, a lot more than we need Nylander.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
for me, Mitchell isn't the problem, he is very highly touted and typically shows up in most top 50 prospect lists..

the issue would be why would they take on Saad for $6mil when Nylander seems to be asking for $8?? just pay the dude and avoid an inferior player in Saad and they need defense help now, Mitchell isn't that for them until maybe next year.
Nylander is not worth what he is asking for, at least no..... maybe in another 2 or 3 yrs, if and i mean if he continues with his success.

what does he have 2 yrs of 3 with success ???

William Nylander Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Jokiharju + DeBrincat.

I might do that, and hope DeBrincat has peaked and Boqvist is better than Jokiharju.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Jokiharju + DeBrincat.

I might do that, and hope DeBrincat has peaked and Boqvist is better than Jokiharju.

I would be so upset if that trade ever happened. You need BOTH Joki and Boqvist to be good, and DeBrincat looks like a long term solution for Toews.

Joki looks like our next Hammer, and hopefully Boqvist is our next Keith. It’s not a choose one or the other scenario.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What if Cat was holding out and demanding $8mn/year?

In a hard capped sport, financial implications complicates matters. We, as Hawk fans, know this all too well.

You’d pay him and dump guys like Ward, Manning, Murphy, Saad, Rutta, Anisimov etc. Lot of underperforming cap hits on this team.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You’d pay him and dump guys like Ward, Manning, Murphy, Saad, Rutta, Anisimov etc. Lot of underperforming cap hits on this team.
I am not sure people understand just how good of shape we will be in the next 2-3 years cap wise.

We have over $10 mil coming off the books after this year with - Rutta, Kunitz, Ward, Davidson, Kruger, Martinsen, etc..

We then have Crow with just 1 more year at $6mil next season- after that he either signs on the cheap if he is still playing or we go with the kids - that is $6mil in cap money back to this team. Manning and Gus both only signed for next season as well - you combine all 3 that is almost $9.5 mil in space. Yes, I know replacing Crow or whatever we do will be a big challenge, but having that kind of cap space coming off our books is massive.

We have a number of RFA's that are due for next year, but most of them will not cost much to reup - only Schmaltz will be significant in the $5-7mil range depending on how he does this year, but names like Forsberg, Hillman, Edjsell, etc will not cost much if we keep them at all. Forsling is the big question mark, but with his limited health, I doubt he signs for over $2mil if he remains productive when he returns.

So bottom line is this, we have nearly $3mil in cap space right now.

We have over $10mil coming off the books at the end of the year, we do also expect a modest increase in the cap by lets just say $2 mil, that brings our available cap space for next season at the $15-16mil range and that doesn't include if we move out a AA or Manning....

That is plenty of cap space to sign Schmaltz, resign whatever RFA's like Sikura, and then go out and get a Breadman or someone else to help on defense.

But the beauty is the following year, where another almost $10mil comes off the books minus any trades, and another likely nice cap bump with Seattle joining the league and we could have an additional $14-15 mil in space alone for that season. Cat and Hayden only big names to resign after that season.

So, the next two years we will have the flexibility to add to this team and not subtract. Losing Crow will suck, but he might be retiring by then anyway so we have to move on regardless. This team has a good group of young kids stepping up, and we then will have the opportunity to surround them and our core with talent once again with the cap space we will have.

If you combine next year and the following year, our total cap space would be around $30 mil total...that is plenty to do what we need to do and retool this thing!

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Saad still has $18mn for 3 more years left on his contract. It won't be easy to move unless Saad gets in gear.

With some of the GMs in the NHL you’re really overestimating how difficult it would be to get rid of Saad’s contract. Buffalo has some cap space clearing up after this year I think, I could see them being interested in trying to revive a goal scorers career on Eichel’s line. May not give up a ton for him, but it’s not like we’d have to retain.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I am not sure people understand just how good of shape we will be in the next 2-3 years cap wise.

We have over $10 mil coming off the books after this year with - Rutta, Kunitz, Ward, Davidson, Kruger, Martinsen, etc..

We then have Crow with just 1 more year at $6mil next season- after that he either signs on the cheap if he is still playing or we go with the kids - that is $6mil in cap money back to this team. Manning and Gus both only signed for next season as well - you combine all 3 that is almost $9.5 mil in space. Yes, I know replacing Crow or whatever we do will be a big challenge, but having that kind of cap space coming off our books is massive.

We have a number of RFA's that are due for next year, but most of them will not cost much to reup - only Schmaltz will be significant in the $5-7mil range depending on how he does this year, but names like Forsberg, Hillman, Edjsell, etc will not cost much if we keep them at all. Forsling is the big question mark, but with his limited health, I doubt he signs for over $2mil if he remains productive when he returns.

So bottom line is this, we have nearly $3mil in cap space right now.

We have over $10mil coming off the books at the end of the year, we do also expect a modest increase in the cap by lets just say $2 mil, that brings our available cap space for next season at the $15-16mil range and that doesn't include if we move out a AA or Manning....

That is plenty of cap space to sign Schmaltz, resign whatever RFA's like Sikura, and then go out and get a Breadman or someone else to help on defense.

But the beauty is the following year, where another almost $10mil comes off the books minus any trades, and another likely nice cap bump with Seattle joining the league and we could have an additional $14-15 mil in space alone for that season. Cat and Hayden only big names to resign after that season.

So, the next two years we will have the flexibility to add to this team and not subtract. Losing Crow will suck, but he might be retiring by then anyway so we have to move on regardless. This team has a good group of young kids stepping up, and we then will have the opportunity to surround them and our core with talent once again with the cap space we will have.

If you combine next year and the following year, our total cap space would be around $30 mil total...that is plenty to do what we need to do and retool this thing!

Great post. Hawks can clear out a ton of cap in a hurry. Factor in ability to expose Saad, Murphy, Anisimov etc in expansion draft, possible compliance buyout scenario in two years...if they nail this next draft and stock up on forwards and add a major piece like Breadman then they’re in damn good shape to build core 2.0 that should be very talented. Almost like Boston has done.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
With some of the GMs in the NHL you’re really overestimating how difficult it would be to get rid of Saad’s contract. Buffalo has some cap space clearing up after this year I think, I could see them being interested in trying to revive a goal scorers career on Eichel’s line. May not give up a ton for him, but it’s not like we’d have to retain.
plus Saad only has 2 years left on this deal, it isn't catastrophic. most teams have a player making $5-6 mil that really isn't earning it...his contract isn't that bad and could be moved for reasons you have said. I want to give him a solid 25 games here and lets see what happens, but after that, if he hasn't shown the life we need then I am sure we can move him out somewhere.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Hawks literally said no to moving Saad two months ago. Of course they can move that contract.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
plus Saad only has 2 years left on this deal, it isn't catastrophic. most teams have a players making $5-6 mil that really isn't earning it...his contract isn't that bad and could be moved for reasons you have said. I want to give him a solid 25 games here and lets see what happens, but after that, if he hasn't shown the life we need then I am sure we can move him out somewhere.

Yeah he had the talent to outperform his contract so I’d like to give him the chance to do so. If coMe January he still looks like ass then move him for pennies on the dollar just to clear up the cap space if nothing else and maybe get a pick or two.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Great post. Hawks can clear out a ton of cap in a hurry. Factor in ability to expose Saad, Murphy, Anisimov etc in expansion draft, possible compliance buyout scenario in two years...if they nail this next draft and stock up on forwards and add a major piece like Breadman then they’re in damn good shape to build core 2.0 that should be very talented. Almost like Boston has done.
absolutely. Seattle has to be factored into things as well, we need some players to throw to the Wolves here, and those you listed all would be targets by Seattle..if you factor this in, then it only gets even better for us cap wise as we can protect all of our NMC/NTC players and whatever youngsters we do not want to lose. Only thing is with AA he has a NTC so not sure he can be made available for Seattle..

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
absolutely. Seattle has to be factored into things as well, we need some players to throw to the Wolves here, and those you listed all would be targets by Seattle..if you factor this in, then it only gets even better for us cap wise as we can protect all of our NMC/NTC players and whatever youngsters we do not want to lose. Only thing is with AA he has a NTC so not sure he can be made available for Seattle..

I thought only NMC were exempt from exposure? Hawks could be in a dicey situation if they need to protect some of their young D as well and Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook taking up four slots with Cat and Schmaltz taking up two more.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I thought only NMC were exempt from exposure? Hawks could be in a dicey situation if they need to protect some of their young D as well and Toews, Kane, Keith and Seabrook taking up four slots with Cat and Schmaltz taking up two more.
yeah not sure, I know NMC for sure you can't put out there to expansion, but maybe NTC you can since it isn't technically a trade. If that is the case then AA is as good as gone one way or another because like you said, we have a big 4 of NMC's and then have to protect some kids like Schmaltz and Cat. I think Jokiharju would have to be protected as well if he plays this year which he is...the rest of the kids like Boqvist, Mitchell, Wise, Beaudin, etc will all be exempt from needing to be protected. Joker would be my 1 question mark and maybe someone with better knowledge of the expansion rules can comment on if he will be exempt or not.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
plus Saad only has 2 years left on this deal, it isn't catastrophic. most teams have a player making $5-6 mil that really isn't earning it...his contract isn't that bad and could be moved for reasons you have said. I want to give him a solid 25 games here and lets see what happens, but after that, if he hasn't shown the life we need then I am sure we can move him out somewhere.
i agree but i will it now for draft picks.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad