Proposal: Saad+Mitchell for W. Nylander

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
nylander may be traded but IMO the bolts want what we either don't have, an experienced number 1 or 2 D, or what we don't want to give up and at this point that would be Joker.

I bet if Stan offered up Joker for nylander straight up a deal would get done.

I hope Stan does not do same however as I think it would be a mistake on the hawks part

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
nylander may be traded but IMO the bolts want what we either don't have, an experienced number 1 or 2 D, or what we don't want to give up and at this point that would be Joker.

I bet if Stan offered up Joker for nylander straight up a deal would get done.

I hope Stan does not do same however as I think it would be a mistake on the hawks part

Nylander plays for the Leafs not the Bolts FYI.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Nylander plays for the Leafs not the Bolts FYI.

ha ha, yes I am aware of that and I am going to type leafs and see if it autocorrects to bolts and it did not....wow that is interesting must have had bolts on my mind as I am well aware that nylander is a leaf....

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
He's not even a center?
Nylander won 51.38% of Face Off last yr...I guess I would make same argument that Schmatlz is not a center either consider he averages about 37.4% FO wins...Bottom Line I view Nylander as the superior player and Schmaltz as a active passer afraid of contact but great at back checking..Forlsing to me is meh..He is rated behind Joker, Bovqist, Mitchell, Beaudin for me and would be willing to throw him into deal to get Nylander

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Nylander won 51.38% of Face Off last yr...I guess I would make same argument that Schmatlz is not a center either consider he averages about 37.4% FO wins...Bottom Line I view Nylander as the superior player and Schmaltz as a active passer afraid of contact but great at back checking..Forlsing to me is meh..He is rated behind Joker, Bovqist, Mitchell, Beaudin for me and would be willing to throw him into deal to get Nylander
So FOW% is the only thing that makes you a good C? He took 8 faceoffs/gm. He's not a C.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
glad to see someone else sees that schmaltz is not a good fit with Kane. IMO schmaltz and Kane are a terrible fit together, Schmaltz should be a Centre for a kick ass third line such as Saad-Schmaltz-Sikura.

AA is the correct C for Kane and I don't understand why anyone would fight that, its obvious.
Sometimes I wonder if people actually watch when they have opinions like this. Anisimov is not even close to as good with Kane as Schmaltz is.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
They even talk about the chemistry they have. It's dumb to deny it. Yes. Schmaltz doesn't shoot as much as he should, but they know where each other are going to be, and where they are going, and work very well together.

And Schmaltz finally seems to be realizing he has a good shot and needs to utilize it more, rather than defer to Kane all the time. He had some good looks last night. I liked seeing him setup for the one-timer from Kane, too.

Ignoring the fact that Nylander isn't playing center in Toronto(or even playing right now:laugh:)... I wouldn't do Schmaltz for Nylander straight up, let alone adding.

Offense - Equal, slight edge to Nylander(unless we see Schmaltz take another step forward)
Defense - Schmaltz is superior.
Versatility - Schmaltz can play wing or C, and has great chemistry with Kane.

Edge to Schmaltz in every aspect of the game, with even just a very small step forward in his offensive ability.

I'm also of the opinion that Schmaltz is wearing a letter for this team eventually, if he stays with them long enough for one to free up.

He's always one of the hardest working players on the ice to boot. And his ability to pickpocket guys is starting to remind me of Hossa, actually.

Reactions: Hawkaholic

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Hopefully we can sign Duchene or Wise can step up as 2C soon. Schmaltz needs to stick to the wing in the future.

Reactions: BHFAN92

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
glad to see someone else sees that schmaltz is not a good fit with Kane. IMO schmaltz and Kane are a terrible fit together, Schmaltz should be a Centre for a kick ass third line such as Saad-Schmaltz-Sikura.

AA is the correct C for Kane and I don't understand why anyone would fight that, its obvious.
Yeah I'm good with this. Although Sikura is in Rockford, in the meantime they should run:

Cat-Captain-Kahun
Hayden-Anisimov-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-Fortin
Kunitz-Kruger-Kampf

Replace Fortin with Sikura later

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
then neither is Schmaltz..what's your point exactly? Schmatlz does nothing a Center needs to do well hence why I am arguing trading him for Nylander

:laugh:

Really? He's the hardest working guy on the ice. He's always the first forward back on the backcheck. He's very defensively responsible. His vision is great. He's great on the puck. His positioning is great in all zones. I mean... the only thing he doesn't do well as a C is take faceoffs...

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
Yeah I'm good with this. Although Sikura is in Rockford, in the meantime they should run:

Cat-Captain-Kahun
Hayden-Anisimov-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-Fortin
Kunitz-Kruger-Kampf

Replace Fortin with Sikura later

I would love to see Forting with Kane for at least 3 games..he is in the sniper mode type player that Kane loves to set up one timers to

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
Saad is absolutely useless at this point, just cut your losses and take a second rounder. Can’t get that? Take a third rounder. Do whatever it takes to trade him while taking on no salary.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I would love to see Forting with Kane for at least 3 games..he is in the sniper mode type player that Kane loves to set up one timers to

No. He's an elite skater. He's fast. He plays a solid two-way game. He's not a sniper... never has been. Never will be.

He'll be a defensively responsible, two-way winger in the mold of a solid 3rd line guy for his whole career. And that's if he can elevate his IQ similar to how Hino did in year two.

Reactions: AmericanDream

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
then neither is Schmaltz..what's your point exactly? Schmatlz does nothing a Center needs to do well hence why I am arguing trading him for Nylander

This is not remotely accurate.

Schmaltz is fine in his own zone and great on the back check.

His biggest deficiency are reluctance to shoot and face offs.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
No. He's an elite skater. He's fast. He plays a solid two-way game. He's not a sniper... never has been. Never will be.

He'll be a defensively responsible, two-way winger in the mold of a solid 3rd line guy for his whole career. And that's if he can elevate his IQ similar to how Hino did in year two.
agreed.
there is one thing speed does for fans, it clouds the mind and judgement as a player just looks like he should be a star. but then after 6-7 games of seeing said player fly around out there you start to realize that is the only thing they do well, skate.

we saw the same with Duclair. people fell in love with him the first 3 games or so, then reality set in that he can fly out there, he can skate the puck into the zone but once he is there he turns into a deer in the headlights. I do not know if Fortin will be the same, but players with speed always look tantalizing at first, you have to then be patient and see if they can produce as well. he simply has not shown he can produce at any level of pro hockey yet...I hope he can as having speed like that in our lineup just adds to what is already forming here. but I will reserve my judgement until after at least a half dozen games up here to see what tools are in the tool box.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
What are you even talking about?
Schmaltz does almost everything a Centre should do, except be good at faceoffs. He is literally your prototypical C in every other aspect of the game.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
what about for drouin...maybe like saad for drouin. change of scenery trade
I suggested this. It'd be a great scenario for us even if we have to add a little bit. Save some cap space long term for a guy that will be better for us.

Reactions: BHFAN92

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Actually, the point of this thread was to see if a deal could get done around Saad and a defenseman not named Jokiharju or Boqvist. If it couldn't get done, then oh well. I thought I was close with either Mitchell or Murphy, but the cap implications are too great for the Leafs. Never mind then. Let's move on.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Actually, the point of this thread was to see if a deal could get done around Saad and a defenseman not named Jokiharju or Boqvist. If it couldn't get done, then oh well. I thought I was close with either Mitchell or Murphy, but the cap implications are too great for the Leafs. Never mind then. Let's move on.

It was worth exploring. No harm, no foul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad