Rumor: Ryder isn't coming back (according to his agent)

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
At least trade his rights or something. He'd look okay in Anaheim, they need secondary scoring.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Wiz was seen as someone who could change a team and had no major weaknesses. Ryder is viewed as a secondary scorer with some significant flaws. GMs are willing to give up something for first line players not for iffy supporting players with good numbers.

Ryder has been solid in the past but this year his numbers were flattering considered what he brought, and he disappeared in the playoffs. He'll get a decent contract somewhere but he's not likely to bring in picks unless some GM out there sees a fit and worries that another GM saw the same. Probability is low.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
At least trade his rights or something. He'd look okay in Anaheim, they need secondary scoring.

I presume that Ryder's contract is still subject to a NMC meaning he would have to approve the trade to another team . Probably not something he would do if he wanted to get the best deal on an open market.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
Why do you think they will let him go for sure? They have plenty of options

They still haven't placed Savard on LTIR, that's 5 million right there. They should be bringing Ference back and they could always make a bit more cap space by moving guys like like Peverley or Kelly that are both making 3 million. And those guys have a bit of value and could be easily moved

Because they need to sign Tuuka Rask too if I'm right? The salary cap is going down, don't forget it my friend!

And that 5th round pick became Charles Hudon!

A 5th round pick is worth nothing...said no one EVER!

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Not surprised. Hopefully we can make something of his rights.
With the lockout I think teams should be more active on that front.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Because they need to sign Tuuka Rask too if I'm right? The salary cap is going down, don't forget it my friend!

As of now they hav cap space left. Trading one of Peverley or Kelly frees up 3 million, Savards 5 and Ference 2 they're at over 10. I think they will be fine

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I presume that Ryder's contract is still subject to a NMC meaning he would have to approve the trade to another team . Probably not something he would do if he wanted to get the best deal on an open market.

Huh? How will it affect his deal making? Whether he stays with Montreal or gets traded it doesn't affect any deal his agent can get.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
I'm really hoping the Sharks sign this guy. I can see him doing well with Thornton. He seems to want a low profile city to play in, and a chance to do well... I hope we show him the money.

And hands off Torres! A deal is already in the works for him. 3 years, 6 million.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Huh? How will it affect his deal making? Whether he stays with Montreal or gets traded it doesn't affect any deal his agent can get.

Just saying, why would he agree to be traded to another team if his goal is to get 30 teams bidding on his services. (and I'm stating that as an assumed goal just a wild ass guess on my part)

Just saying the NMC is a hurdle that perhaps Bergevin is trying to overcome but can't .

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

Do those NMC clauses remain in effect once a player is traded from the team that originally signed the contract?

Could a trade involve a conditional draft pick? No pick if he doesn't sign and then escalating picks depending upon the level of contract he signed with the new team?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Just saying, why would he agree to be traded to another team if his goal is to get 30 teams bidding on his services. (and I'm stating that as an assumed goal just a wild ass guess on my part)

Just saying the NMC is a hurdle that perhaps Bergevin is trying to overcome but can't .

Why would that change anything for Ryder though? All he would have to do is just not sign with the team that trades for his rights.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Why would that change anything for Ryder though? All he would have to do is just not sign with the team that trades for his rights.

Perhaps it would just set an expectation, if not an obligation, to negotiate with his new team in some way.

I only raise this because people are wanting Bergevin to turn this player into a draft pick but it's entirely possible Ryder will have none of that.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm really hoping the Sharks sign this guy. I can see him doing well with Thornton. He seems to want a low profile city to play in, and a chance to do well... I hope we show him the money.

And hands off Torres! A deal is already in the works for him. 3 years, 6 million.

Hasn't team speed been one of the Sharks big problems the last few seasons? Ryder certainly won't help in that regard.

But at least he can stay healthy and would replace the offence Havlat was supposed to give.

Audio Outlaw

Jaded Sharks Fan
Aug 1, 2011
Bay Area, CA
Hasn't team speed been one of the Sharks big problems the last few seasons? Ryder certainly won't help in that regard.

But at least he can stay healthy and would replace the offence Havlat was supposed to give.

Your right Ryder is not as fast as say... Stalberg or Brunner, but SJ got much faster after dumping Clowe, Murray, and Handzus. It was a problem but it isn't so much anymore.

You have the right idea. Dump Havlat and use the money to sign Ryder + a 3rd liner in attempt to get deeper and healthier.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Ryder is going to make one NHL GM very happy this coming season.

Pure shooting 30+ goal scorers dont just show up in the NHL.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Ryder is going to make one NHL GM very happy this coming season.

Pure shooting 30+ goal scorers dont just show up in the NHL.

Well they've shown up 3 times already in Ryder's case alone...

There must be some reason why he's not sticking with a team for good other than "GMs are dumb".

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

There must be some reason why he's not sticking with a team for good other than "GMs are dumb".

Ryder has had a productive career, he is not the cast off you make him out to be.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

The guy wins a Cup with Boston.

And all he does is score goals.

Ryder_325x183_042311.jpg

Yep, he sucks.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
The guy wins a Cup with Boston.

And all he does is score goals.

Yep, he sucks.

I don't know what to think about him. Seriously, I see your side of things, and obviously when he comes through like that or scores a big goal you love him. But he is really lazy a lot of the time as well. I mean, it's hard not to notice that he gives up on the play a lot, often wont even try to hustle for a loose puck. When he played for the Habs years ago he was one of my favorite players, but..... I dunno. I mean, I can see why Therrien benched him a few times, too.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
You're showing the only highlight reel he ever had in defense. Great job. Do you have any from this year? You know, when he was with the Montreal Canadiens?

No, I am showing the only picture of Ryder that I care to even look up on the internet.

He's gone. What's the point? Think of him as a useless player as he goes on to score goals for another team. No big deal.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I don't know what to think about him. Seriously, I see your side of things, and obviously when he comes through like that or scores a big goal you love him. But he is really lazy a lot of the time as well. I mean, it's hard not to notice that he gives up on the play a lot, often wont even try to hustle for a loose puck. When he played for the Habs years ago he was one of my favorite players, but..... I dunno. I mean, I can see why Therrien benched him a few times, too.

I repeated this argument before. Therrien moved his leading goal scorer off of the top scoring line while he was red hot and scoring goals. Shortly after that, his game went to ****.

If Ryder plays for a coach who knows how to get the best out of him, he will excel. If he plays for a coach like Therrien, he will struggle. It will be up to his next coach to determine if he wants a goal scorer potting goals on his team. Therrien didnt see the value of Ryder scoring goals for the Habs.

Adios Ryder.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2