Rumor: Ryder isn't coming back (according to his agent)

holyhabs

Jun 9, 2007
well it was pretty obvious after the way things ended. we needed to dump that cole salary for other players. giving it to ryder didnt make much sense.

simplysincere*

Good for both sides.

Ryder won't do well here, and Montreal won't do well with him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Fine with me. But it went from "sign him 2-3 years" to "good riddance" in a about....2-3 weeks. Things change quite fast.....But we need another type of ingredient in this team.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
With Gio out indefinitely and Ryder not returning, we absolutely need to get a couple of established NHL wingers.

What are the options?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I would have kept him if they could trade Gionta. Well, now, good luck Bergevin to find another right winger..

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I would have kept him if they could trade Gionta. Well, now, good luck Bergevin to find another right winger..

Not exactly

If you remember at one point we had Ryder playing out of position, playing LW because we had Gionta and Gallagher as the other top 2 RW's

Bergevin can get either a LW or RW, we have a few guys that can play either LW or RW in Prust, Moen, and Bourque.

Ideal you would like to have a rightly playing RW and vice versa but doesn't always have to be the case.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I knew he was a goner the second the trade was made with Dallas. Ryder is 33 years old, and is going to want a big contract, he is coming off two great years(stat wise), last chance to get a 4-5 year deal at big bucks.

And I think he'll get it from someone.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I'm ok with this. But Bergevin need to well spent the cap space he got to consider the Cole/Ryder trade a good transaction. We definitely have a hole on our top 4 wings now. Will be interesting to see.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Not exactly

If you remember at one point we had Ryder playing out of position, playing LW because we had Gionta and Gallagher as the other top 2 RW's

Bergevin can get either a LW or RW, we have a few guys that can play either LW or RW in Prust, Moen, and Bourque.

Ideal you would like to have a rightly playing RW and vice versa but doesn't always have to be the case.

I know though Gionta will be out for a while and might be slower next year. We will be missing a top-6 scoring winger.. well, I bet they wouldn't want to sign him for more than 1 year.

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
Ryder sure can snipe, but he doesn't bring much more to the table. On a more complete team, ready to contend, he and his salary/term demands will be easier to digest. Besides: he's only 6' tall. Pff!

And so we move on...

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I know though Gionta will be out for a while and might be slower next year. We will be missing a top-6 scoring winger.. well, I bet they wouldn't want to sign him for more than 1 year.

Gionta should be ready for camp I think, last that's what I remember David Stubbs saying(HIO), but you are right we do need another winger, Gionta is most likely going to be a 3rd line guy with pp time next year, while last with Mtl I would guess. So looking forward to seing what Bergevin does with the money he cleared up by trading Cole.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
With Gio out indefinitely and Ryder not returning, we absolutely need to get a couple of established NHL wingers.

What are the options?

Some UFAs:

Bickell
Stalberg
Cleary
Jagr
Filpulla
Horton
Clowe
Clarkson
Latendresse
Torres
Ponikarovsky
Penner

... and there may be some more short term options available after buyouts. It looks to me like a buyer's market for wingers.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Bourque-DD-Prust
Moen-White-Dumont

This doesn't change much. We were all hoping for at least one top 9 winger this summer, ideally to push Prust back on the fourth line. We'll be fine without Ryder.

Besides, even if we miss him this year. Ryder wouldn't have signed for 1 year. So the way I see it, I'd rather miss him this year than having to suffer him at 4-5M for 3 or 4 more years afterwards...

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Brian Gionta
Alex Galchenyuk - Lars Eller - Brendan Gallagher
Rene Bourque - David Desharnais - David Clarkson
Raffi Torres - Gabriel Dumont - Brandon Prust

I wouldn't mind Clarkson and Torres. I also prefer Dumont to White and Moen.

NJHABSFAN

Jan 22, 2009
Swamps of Joisey
Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Brian Gionta
Alex Galchenyuk - Lars Eller - Brendan Gallagher
Rene Bourque - David Desharnais - David Clarkson
Raffi Torres - Gabriel Dumont - Brandon Prust

I wouldn't mind Clarkson and Torres. I also prefer Dumont to White and Moen.

would rather spend the money on Bickle from chicago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad