Rumor: Ryder isn't coming back (according to his agent)

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I presume that Ryder's contract is still subject to a NMC meaning he would have to approve the trade to another team . Probably not something he would do if he wanted to get the best deal on an open market.

Well if the rights were offered to another team, it would not negate his right to refuse and hit free agency. Habs would just get more if he signed.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
I repeated this argument before. Therrien moved his leading goal scorer off of the top scoring line while he was red hot and scoring goals. Shortly after that, his game went to ****.

If Ryder plays for a coach who knows how to get the best out of him, he will excel. If he plays for a coach like Therrien, he will struggle. It will be up to his next coach to determine if he wants a goal scorer potting goals on his team. Therrien didnt see the value of Ryder scoring goals for the Habs.

Adios Ryder.

We don't seem to agree on much, but I think you're completely right here. Ryder wasn't a particularly great player, but he is a good and useful one.

Plus he shored up an area the Habs are kind of weak at. Without him only Pacioretty and Plekanec are forwards that are any kind of scoring threat away from the net. The Habs forward group is strong on guys that can drive the balance of play through 3 zones (Plekanec, Eller, Gionta, Pacioretty, Gallagher and Galchenyuk {at winger but not center}). They can afford a guy whose purpose is to help them get the puck in the net so long as he's not a liability elsewhere.

Losing Ryder and the team is worse. Not massively worse, but worse. And a team that was legitimately better than any other in the East but Boston and Pittsburgh, getting worse shouldn't be a welcome development.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
No, I am showing the only picture of Ryder that I care to even look up on the internet.

He's gone. What's the point? Think of him as a useless player as he goes on to score goals for another team. No big deal.

The point is I know you love Ryder, I've read a lot of your posts about him and you always seem to blame Therrien about the way he used him but you forget something: Ryder was never meant to stay here, he was just here to get rid of Cole's contract.

Stop defending him, there are reasons why Ryder was moved from the top line. There are reasons why he's gonna play with a new team (again) next year. Players like Ryder come and go.

Banjo Cat

May 31, 2007
I repeated this argument before. Therrien moved his leading goal scorer off of the top scoring line while he was red hot and scoring goals. Shortly after that, his game went to ****.

I know you have. But I found him very lazy before Bourque returned. Not that it matters if he is producing. That's why I am torn about him. The other thing to take into consideration is maybe he has no desire to play here.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
The point is I know you love Ryder, I've read a lot of your posts about him and you always seem to blame Therrien about the way he used him but you forget something: Ryder was never meant to stay here, he was just here to get rid of Cole's contract.

Stop defending him, there are reasons why Ryder was moved from the top line. There are reasons why he's gonna play with a new team (again) next year. Players like Ryder come and go.

I don't "love" any Canadiens player. I am a fan of the Montreal Canadiens, not any single hockey player.

Instead, I loved the goals he was scoring on Pleks line as the Habs were winning games.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
What are you talking about?

It's apparent we're not on the same page. I am asking the simple question, why would Ryder accept a trade to a team he has no intention of signing with ? To help Montreal get a draft pick? Not likely.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I am sure that if ANY GM thought he could get something for a players rights via trade, they'd make that trade.

If Ryder isn't traded, I highly doubt it's because Bergevin sat on him and decided not to trade him for a pick because he couldnt' be bothered.

Every year, many players who will go UFA do not get traded. The ones that do sometimes sign and sometimes don't but there's an interest and some urgency from the team aquiring said assett. If thery have neither a keen interest or urgency than why would they trade anything for a player they're luke warm about?

I can't believe some people think Bergevin won't try to trade a player who isn't signing or get pissed about it if he doesn't. Shows the unrealistic expectations some "fans" have. :shakehead:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I don't "love" any Canadiens player. I am a fan of the Montreal Canadiens, not any single hockey player.

Instead, I loved the goals he was scoring on Pleks line as the Habs were winning games.

Ryder, quite frankly might be the most underrated playing in club history (or at least since 1995 when I started using hockey forums) . Can't figure it out. Don't know why. But it's true.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
It's apparent we're not on the same page. I am asking the simple question, why would Ryder accept a trade to a team he has no intention of signing with ? To help Montreal get a draft pick? Not likely.

To answer this question, because he has nothing to lose. It's not like he has to move his house in order to listen to another teams offer.

If a team is so interested in him they're willing to trade for him than maybe they're willing to blow him away with an offer that no other team is willing to give him.

What does he care if he's traded or not? He's not obliged to sign with the team and he might lose an opportunity to cash in on a big contract if they end up trading for the rights of another player and give him a contract they would have given Ryder.

Has nothing to do with "helping out Montreal" as much as helping out himself.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

It's not relevant. Habs get a fifth round pick for the rights to have a team negotiate with Ryder. If he chooses to sign with them, the pick becomes a fourth.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
To answer this question, because he has nothing to lose. It's not like he has to move his house in order to listen to another teams offer.

If a team is so interested in him they're willing to trade for him than maybe they're willing to blow him away with an offer that no other team is willing to give him.

What does he care if he's traded or not? He's not obliged to sign with the team and he might lose an opportunity to cash in on a big contract if they end up trading for the rights of another player and give him a contract they would have given Ryder.

Has nothing to do with "helping out Montreal" as much as helping out himself.

He has a better chance of being blown away by an offer after July 5. All options are available at that time.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
He has a better chance of being blown away by an offer after July 5. All options are available at that time.

Like Streit in Philly?

Fact is, if a team is that high on you it doesn't hurt to HEAR their offer before July 5th. If he and his agent still think they can do better, that's fine but at least they have a benchmark they can use in negociations.

So why wouldn't he accept a trade? It doesn't make any sense for him not to.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
It's not relevant. Habs get a fifth round pick for the rights to have a team negotiate with Ryder. If he chooses to sign with them, the pick becomes a fourth.

It is relevant but I must not be explaining this very well .

It was clear that Streit was a part of the process and agreeable to negotiating and signing with Flyers. If Ryder is not agreeable (and he has no reason to be) then the whole process falls apart. I am sure Bergevin has thought this through and has no options like the Islanders had with Streit.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It is relevant but I must not be explaining this very well .

It was clear that Streit was a part of the process and agreeable to negotiating and signing with Flyers. If Ryder is not agreeable (and he has no reason to be) then the whole process falls apart. I am sure Bergevin has thought this through and has no options like the Islanders had with Streit.

I see where you're going now. I imagine MB would tell Ryder the team involved and he would say whether he would play there. Still no guarantee a deal would be made with the new team, of course.

chrisyoso

Jun 10, 2013
What to do with Michael Ryder ?

He did not have to bad of season leading the team with points but really not the greatest attitude and not showing up to the locker clean up day to talk to the media what was that all about ?

Any way just want to see every one elses opinion ?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He did not have to bad of season leading the team with points but really not the greatest attitude and not showing up to the locker clean up day to talk to the media what was that all about ?

Any way just want to see every one elses opinion ?
He will be looking to cash in.....the Habs will be walking away for sure...not sure about the not talking to the media on clean up day??

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
He will be looking to cash in.....the Habs will be walking away for sure...not sure about the not talking to the media on clean up day??
I think he was not there the day everyone else was clearing their locker.

A few days later he said something like he missed it or did not know he had to be there.

Not sure what is the issue here. Ryder is not the style to make trouble (even on the ice :laugh:).
Especially now that Ryder is gone.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I thought he was good with Plecs and a good source of secondary scoring. Then we moved him and both Plecs and Ryder struggled...

Anyways, he's a perimeter guy and while I'd be happy to sign him for a couple of years at say 3.5, he's going to want a longer more expensive contract and I wouldn't want to be tied to that. So... good luck Michael Ryder.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
I thought he was good with Plecs and a good source of secondary scoring. Then we moved him and both Plecs and Ryder struggled...

Anyways, he's a perimeter guy and while I'd be happy to sign him for a couple of years at say 3.5, he's going to want a longer more expensive contract and I wouldn't want to be tied to that. So... good luck Michael Ryder.

Give him $50 and a one way bus ticket out of town. He did not want to be in Mtl and showed it in the playoffs. Good riddance.

68*

Give him $50 and a one way bus ticket out of town. He did not want to be in Mtl and showed it in the playoffs. Good riddance.

I think he wanted to be in Montreal. He's just not the kind of player that is ready to pay the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad