Proposal: Ryane Clowe

LucicIsABeast

Dec 7, 2008
Lville IL
There seems to be a lot of "what have you done for me lately" in this thread.

He has consistently put up good points (15-25g 30-40a) over the past 4 years or so and has played 70+ games. Everything about this season isn't normal so basing what we are getting as a player on these 20 games or so doesn't seem fair.

I would love to have this guy on the team but I highly doubt Caron and a 2nd gets it done.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
To me, Clowe is not what the bruins need. Sure he is like a bruin type player... size, strength, grit, combative, always stands for a teammate.. but the bruins have enough of that. What they really need is skill. Someone who can dangle a bit and provide offensive spark and threat. When they won the cup, they had that across the top 9 while the 4th line brought the energy. Now that is clearly lacking. The way the bruins are built, they need that depth to be successful. Otherwise they have a weak link that can and had been exposed. Clowe is not the answer to that.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
To me, Clowe is not what the bruins need. Sure he is like a bruin type player... size, strength, grit, combative, always stands for a teammate.. but the bruins have enough of that. What they really need is skill. Someone who can dangle a bit and provide offensive spark and threat. When they won the cup, they had that across the top 9 while the 4th line brought the energy. Now that is clearly lacking. The way the bruins are built, they need that depth to be successful. Otherwise they have a weak link that can and had been exposed. Clowe is not the answer to that.

He's averaged 20 goals per season leading into this one. That's plenty of skill for a 3rd line role. What he brings is the physicality and ability to win board battles that that line is lacking right now.

bruins04

Mar 3, 2007
if Clowe had the season he's having for the B's, this thread would still exist.... for different reasons. If people around here think Horty is inconsistent and doesn't always bring it...

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
In Peter C I trust. Can't wait till the trade line is behind us. Who ever they bring in.. On the other hand this team needs to play a strong game on both ends of the ice for 60 minutes. 60 MINUTES! Not 40 not 30, 60!! We have a pretty darn good roster right now, and when its on. it can win allot of games. Last two games the Bruins beat themselves by getting away from the game they know how too play.. I feel sorry for the Maple Leafs tomorrow as I'm sure the B's are going to play a strong full game 4 the win. Oh and I hope Rask gets the start. He needs to have a strong game

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I watch the sharks and I'd much rather have McQuaid.

Murray > Ference?

If so, I'd take that as the back of the Clowe deal. I need a D group I can trust in the playoffs, and effectivly replacing Ference pretty much makes that happen me.

I wanna be able to go:

Z/Boychuk
Seids/?
McQuaid/Hamilton/Johnson

Root

Feb 22, 2010
for what it's worth...

Clowe played 20 minutes and 14 seconds tonight versus calgary. his average time on ice per game this season is 16:44. maybe they are just trying to break him out of his funk, maybe they are showcasing him? just thought that was interesting.

anyone know how to see what scouts were in attendance at that game?

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Clowe is not injured. The ice time he plays suggests this. He is on a major slump, however, I believe a change of scenery playing closer to his home in Newfoundland would do a world of good for him.

Last Newfie Bruins had (Ryder) helped this exact team win the cup.

If Chia can add Clowe and perhaps a Doglas Murray from SJ the Bruins will be front runners for the Cup and a scary group to play against.

Caron + 2nd for Clowe
or
Caron + Ference +1st for Clowe and Murray

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Murray > Ference?

If so, I'd take that as the back of the Clowe deal. I need a D group I can trust in the playoffs, and effectivly replacing Ference pretty much makes that happen me.

I wanna be able to go:

Z/Boychuk
Seids/?
McQuaid/Hamilton/Johnson

I think Ference is just pressing- he wants to stay here and he 'knows' somewhere even if in the back of his brain he has a few things going against him. I think he is an exceptional bottom pair guy. I spent the entire Washington game watching him to the point standing infront of my huge HD-TV to get a better look and he played very well....between him and watching Hendricks it was like work.

He's a bottom pair guy who has a little bit of everything- has played very well in his time here, probably wont be back, but he's a tough kid and we usually like tough kids

Maybe just me but I think he's getting way to much blame here and he's not even one of my death/hate-to-all-who-disagree guys:nod:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I think Ference is just pressing- he wants to stay here and he 'knows' somewhere even if in the back of his brain he has a few things going against him. I think he is an exceptional bottom pair guy. I spent the entire Washington game watching him to the point standing infront of my huge HD-TV to get a better look and he played very well....between him and watching Hendricks it was like work.

He's a bottom pair guy who has a little bit of everything- has played very well in his time here, probably wont be back, but he's a tough kid and we usually like tough kids

Maybe just me but I think he's getting way to much blame here and he's not even one of my death/hate-to-all-who-disagree guys:nod:

I agree with every word of this. I think he's pressing due to potential free agency and/or trade. End of the day though he's a veteran, and the GM loves him. If his play is suffering, I think we can expect PC to ease his mind one way or the other, and I think we'll see a better Ference going forward.

And to underscore your point about bottom pairing d-men. I defy anyone to find a better #6 in the NHL than Ference. If you can, you can't find many. Let's remember he doesn't benefit from playing next to a Chara or Seids either. IMO he's still a solid d-man and by all accounts an excellent teammate.

Bruins Stooge

Spread Out
Aug 12, 2008
Hartford County CT
But for serious, while his production is down bringing his price tag down a bit, Boston won't be the only one looking at him. Look at the tweet from the SJ beat writer, a bunch of EC terms were there scouting. That will no question drive the price up. Where it goes up to, we'll see.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
But for serious, while his production is down bringing his price tag down a bit, Boston won't be the only one looking at him. Look at the tweet from the SJ beat writer, a bunch of EC terms were there scouting. That will no question drive the price up. Where it goes up to, we'll see.

That is the question, what is the cost?

I am unwilling to part with a first round pick for Clowe, and I am not trading any of our top prospects for him either (Spoons, Knight, Koko, Subban).

Maybe that's the asking price, but I am just thinking that in two or three years time, when Ryan Spooner is lighting it up in San Jose, and Mr. Clowe is but a distant memory, we will all be kicking ourselves over that move.

Then again, another Cup would certainly soften the blow.

I am okay with the proposals that include a 2nd round pick and Caron or another secondary prospect.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Would Clowe be picked up just for this season's playoffs? or do you expect Chiawould sign him for next season too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad