Proposal: Ryane Clowe

mdonova33

Nov 7, 2011
There has been a lot of interest in Ryane Clowe, so I figured I would start a thread on what it would take to get him.

I would imagine that his value is similar to Dustin Penner, and he went for a 1st (2011), a 3rd (2012), and a prospect (Colten Teubert).

I wouldn't be comfortable giving up a 1st in the trade...maybe another prospect can fill its void.

The Bruins offer:
Craig Cunningham
Seth Griffith
2nd round pick in 2013

for

Ryane Clowe

Is this close in value, and what the B's would be willing to give up?

EDIT: So if they are interested in Kelly, I'd give them:

Kelly
Ference

Bruins pull up one of Krug, utilize Johnson to fill Ference's role, and bring up Spooner to fill Kelly's.

Last edited:

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
There has been a lot of interest in Ryane Clowe, so I figured I would start a thread on what it would take to get him.

I would imagine that his value is similar to Dustin Penner, and he went for a 1st (2011), a 3rd (2012), and a prospect (Colten Teubert).

I wouldn't be comfortable giving up a 1st in the trade...maybe another prospect can fill its void.

The Bruins offer:
Craig Cunningham
Seth Griffith
4th round pick in 2013

for

Ryane Clowe

No. It's not close. They want a roster player and a non-fourth liner. It would have to be either Kelly or Pevs going that way. Mix and match as see fit.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I like Clowe as a player, and I think he would be a good fit on this team, but I wonder what we would be saying about him if he was on our current roster:

19 GP, 0 G, 6 A, -2

Sounds a lot like the underachieving third liners that we have on this team currently.

Who knows, maybe a change of scenery will do him some good.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

The Bruins offer:
Craig Cunningham
Seth Griffith
2nd round pick in 2013

for

Ryane Clowe

Starting with the 2nd is fine, Cunningham and Griffith don't have a ton of value. The biggest myth is that when two contenders make a trade that they both need to exchange roster assets. SJ could take prospects and picks for their struggling player and turn their own into someone that is a better fit for them that we don't have.

You could make Spooner and Khokhlachev unavailable. And you could probably hold onto our first, but you're then dipping into pick 2 of (2nd, Krug, Caron, Knight).

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I suspect San Jose would want a lot more than that, and honestly I am not willing to give up more than that for a rental 3rd line player

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
No. It's not close. They want a roster player and a non-fourth liner. It would have to be either Kelly or Pevs going that way. Mix and match as see fit.

Their prospect pool is in a pretty sad state isn't it? Given he's underachieving and in the dog house a bit, they might be willing to move him for a decent prosect+pick.

I'd say Caron+2nd

mdonova33

Nov 7, 2011
Starting with the 2nd is fine, Cunningham and Griffith don't have a ton of value. The biggest myth is that when two contenders make a trade that they both need to exchange roster assets. SJ could take prospects and picks for their struggling player and turn their own into someone that is a better fit for them that we don't have.

You could make Spooner and Khokhlachev unavailable. And you could probably hold onto our first, but you're then dipping into pick 2 of (2nd, Krug, Caron, Knight).

Bruins would then counter with:
Caron (honestly wouldn't mind giving him up)
2nd

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
I like Clowe as a player, and I think he would be a good fit on this team, but I wonder what we would be saying about him if he was on our current roster:

19 GP, 0 G, 6 A, -2

Sounds a lot like the underachieving third liners that we have on this team currently.

Perfect change of scenery guy unfortunately though he doesn't have alot of speed. Would be great on the PP in front of Price and Miller.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Perfect change of scenery guy unfortunately though he doesn't have alot of speed. Would be great on the PP in front of Price and Miller.

Yeah, there is a lot that I like about him, and I'm not opposed to the trade, but it's just funny to me that we demonize a lot of our own players and assume that the "other guy" is the savior. But if the other guy was on our team doing what he is doing on his team, we would be wanting him shipped out of town.

That being said, I do like what he brings to the table. A lot of grit, not afraid to mix it up, and yes, he might be a nice fit on the PP as an option out front.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Edited the OP, thanks!

That's a bit closer. I could see it. If anything I think they would rather go with a higher prospect and a second. Something in that avenue like Khoks, Spooner, Knight. that, plus a second or a third. Expect it would be Spooner as I think they are a bit light on the left side in Worcester.

The tough part here is I think they only have a two year window to win it. Prospects, as nice as they are, don't get you that. That is, of course, unless they are willing to blow it all up which I think is 99 percent not true.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
Their prospect pool is in a pretty sad state isn't it? Given he's underachieving and in the dog house a bit, they might be willing to move him for a decent prosect+pick.

I'd say Caron+2nd

I think this is where it will sit and they will start Caron. He takes Clowe's spot and he's a younger, large, and fits seamlessly into their system. They need someone to pick up the loose pucks out front and that's Caron's forte.

Bruins Stooge

Spread Out
Aug 12, 2008
Hartford County CT

19 GP, 0 G, 6 A, -2

This. Can't see I really want this guy. The 3rd line needs an injection of some offensive skill, if that's added, I think the line starts clicking. They have absolutely no chemistry right now, nor offensive finish.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
This. Can't see I really want this guy. The 3rd line needs an injection of some offensive skill, if that's added, I think the line starts clicking. They have absolutely no chemistry right now, nor offensive finish.

Positives:

in Clowe's defense his backhand is pissah has a decent shot.

In the more stream of Boston thinking, he also fights quite a bit

Looks like a fat Bradley Cooper

Negatives:

Slow, struggling right now, high cap hit(I know, I know)

I'd prefer to see us bring up Caron.

mdonova33

Nov 7, 2011
Positives:

in Clowe's defense his backhand is pissah has a decent shot.

In the more stream of Boston thinking, he also fights quite a bit

Looks like a fat Bradley Cooper

Negatives:

Slow, struggling right now, high cap hit(I know, I know)

I'd prefer to see us bring up Caron.

Is Caron ready though? He certainly didn't impress last year, and hasn't this year in the AHL..

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Is Caron ready though? He certainly didn't impress last year, and hasn't this year in the AHL..

Who cares about AHL production? Chris Bourque was a monster in the AHL, how's that working out? Who are Caron's linemates in Providence, what is he being asked to do down there?

Bourque, Camper and Cunningham are putting up solid numbers, but they're all undersized, that line needs some size and net front presence. Either call up Caron or trade him with some picks for Clowe.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

The Bruins offer:
Craig Cunningham
Seth Griffith
2nd round pick in 2013

for

Ryane Clowe

EDIT: So if they are interested in Kelly, I'd give them:

Kelly
Ference

Bruins pull up one of Krug, utilize Johnson to fill Ference's role, and bring up Spooner to fill Kelly's.

Krug? Johnson?

And people complain about ference being so bad...

Jebesus that D group sounds bad

Ruzicka38

Oh man
Jan 19, 2006
Hopedale
I would rather keep Pevs, based on career numbers, as well as current play.

Same here. Peverly have scored at a 2nd/3rd line clip for his entire career. Kelly had one good year and Chiarelli fell for it. The guy is a really good 4th liner. If he were making Paille money I would get over it. He is making over $3 million and has a NTC. IF they trade for a big money players (Briere?) I would love to see them buyout Kelly to make the space when the year ends.
The other solution (this thread) is to trade Kelly. I know he has a NTC, but so have many other who have been traded. San Jose is a nice place to live.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
If we are trading Kelly or Peverly for Clowe, I don't see how that is a solution. We are still a player short in my mind. I think Clowe is an interesting guy to add to the mix at the right price. Ultimately, I think he might fit better on your fourth line, especially if his numbers don't improve and he doesn't bring an offensive spark to the third line. If you lose Peverly or Kelly and add Clowe in their place, is that line really any better?

mdonova33

Nov 7, 2011
If we are trading Kelly or Peverly for Clowe, I don't see how that is a solution. We are still a player short in my mind. I think Clowe is an interesting guy to add to the mix at the right price. Ultimately, I think he might fit better on your fourth line, especially if his numbers don't improve and he doesn't bring an offensive spark to the third line. If you lose Peverly or Kelly and add Clowe in their place, is that line really any better?

The idea that many are going with is that Spooner would be called up to play center with Pevs and Clowe.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham

I know. I've been hearing that from everyone. Not gonna lie, I like his game and with the Bruins top six is loaded with talent, be nice to see someone mopping up afterwards. He hasn't looked great, but he's going on three years back and forth between Boston and Providence. I don't see them doing it as it would be his third call up in three years and it makes more sense to have him stick to it down in Providence and wait for next year. Likewise, AHL team's are notorious for being full of vets and prospects who are just developing. Caron's neither of those. His numbers don't mean much and if given the shot to crack the B's lineup, I think he takes it and runs with it.

The tough part here is Chia's got the cap space burning the hole in his pocket and we can make another substantial cup run while not having to wait for our blue chippers to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad