Proposal: Ryane Clowe

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
The idea that many are going with is that Spooner would be called up to play center with Pevs and Clowe.

Yup. Kelly or Pevs goes to SJ. Paille maybe jumps up there if Clowe's still struggling when he comes here and gotta think one of the centers from Providence is coming up.

mdonova33

Nov 7, 2011
Yup. Kelly or Pevs goes to SJ. Paille maybe jumps up there if Clowe's still struggling when he comes here and gotta think one of the centers from Providence is coming up.

What's Spooners play like? I've heard him being compared to Savard..haven't watched him enough to know if that's a valid comparison or if it's way off base.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
The idea that many are going with is that Spooner would be called up to play center with Pevs and Clowe.

B's would miss the center depth and PK presence. Plus he wears the A. I just think the club sees Kelly as more valuable than the fan base might.

Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been good, but I think PC would be hesitant to move him.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
B's would miss the center depth and PK presence. Plus he wears the A. I just think the club sees Kelly as more valuable than the fan base might.

Don't get me wrong, he hasn't been good, but I think PC would be hesitant to move him.

Kelly in trade proposals out west is foolish, he has a NTC, and I highly doubt he's waiving it for San Jose.

Peverley and Clowe is a wash for me, and I don't think they want Spooner up yet or otherwise they'd have tried Kelly-Spooner-Pevs already.

I still disagree that San Jose would expect a roster player back, they can make a pick/prospect trade with someone else to get that, it doesn't need to be us.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Kelly in trade proposals out west is foolish, he has a NTC, and I highly doubt he's waiving it for San Jose.

Peverley and Clowe is a wash for me, and I don't think they want Spooner up yet or otherwise they'd have tried Kelly-Spooner-Pevs already.

I still disagree that San Jose would expect a roster player back, they can make a pick/prospect trade with someone else to get that, it doesn't need to be us.

This is exactly how I feel, I think they would make the move without it having to include one of our third liners. In fact, most SJ fans on the trade board indicate they have enough of those, and probably lower cost than Kelly or Peverley.

If they are selling Clowe right now, I think his value is down, so that should benefit us greatly.

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
What's Spooners play like? I've heard him being compared to Savard..haven't watched him enough to know if that's a valid comparison or if it's way off base.

Good hands, good skill, decent speed, smart. Negatives: he's a bit small and not the greatest in his own zone. Poor man's Marty St. Louis except plays in the middle.

I agree with the club in this case. Still not going to hang my hat on it. If his play continues like this, could see a change.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
TSN claims Bruins socuts in Vancouver last night probably scouting Clowe. I'd love to get him.

Clowe is a Bruins type player as mentioned on here by a lot of folks.

I dont think the Bruins are willing to part with roster players and seems as though Clowe is in the shark tank in San Jose. I do believe San Jose would take a prospect and a pick for Clowe.

Koko + 3rd For Clowe

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
TSN claims Bruins socuts in Vancouver last night probably scouting Clowe. I'd love to get him.

Clowe is a Bruins type player as mentioned on here by a lot of folks.

I dont think the Bruins are willing to part with roster players and seems as though Clowe is in the shark tank in San Jose. I do believe San Jose would take a prospect and a pick for Clowe.

Koko + 3rd For Clowe

Bruins would give up a better pick, lesser prospect. 2nd and Caron makes more sense for that type of player (pure rental who is struggling).

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital

I like Spooner and have been advocating for him to be on this team, but if that is the case, why not call him up to play with Kelly and Pevs? I'm not sure Clowe-Spooner-Peverly necessarily makes you a better team than Kelly-Spooner-Peverly. If it does make you better, it's only marginally so, in my opinion.

For all his faults offensively, Kelly is valuable on draws and on the PK, and he also has a leadership role in the locker room. And as I said before, Clowe isn't exactly lighting it up offensively either.

My preference would be to call up Spooner now, and see what he gives you in that spot. If you could then add Clowe to the mix w/o giving up a roster player, you could use him on the third line with Spooner and Peverly, and perhaps move Kelly down to the fourth line, or you could also use Clowe on the 4th as well.

I like the idea of adding a new body and new energy to this team, but I don't know if simply exchanging underperforming third liners is going to do the trick.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I would let Spooner stay in the AHL and develop there. Why throw him into the NHL and maybe stunt his growth?

Giving up Kelly or Pevs for Clowe doesn't solve any issue we would still have a hole on the 3rd line.

Clowe is struggling right now, I have seen some SJ fans say get rid of him and take him. They need forward depth so we could offer them

Caron
2013 2nd
2014 3rd(If he resigns with us)

The Dangly One

Dangle dangle goal
Jun 13, 2011
Krug? Johnson?

And people complain about ference being so bad...

Jebesus that D group sounds bad

Trading ference makes zero sense unless they are getting back another top 6 d. Give Johnson ferences ice time and you ll be begging for ference back

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Same here. Peverly have scored at a 2nd/3rd line clip for his entire career. Kelly had one good year and Chiarelli fell for it. The guy is a really good 4th liner. If he were making Paille money I would get over it. He is making over $3 million and has a NTC. IF they trade for a big money players (Briere?) I would love to see them buyout Kelly to make the space when the year ends.
The other solution (this thread) is to trade Kelly. I know he has a NTC, but so have many other who have been traded. San Jose is a nice place to live.

This year is the outlier with Kelly, not last year. He had 5 seasons with 30+ points, and a 6th with 28 in 7 years in the league

He has score double digits in goals every season he has been in the league. He has been +20 or more in 3 different seasons, all the while playing 3rd line and facing the opponents best every night. His +/1 is dragged down a big by the fact Ottawa was awful his last few years there

Kelly is what he is, and that is a much better player than we have seen this year. He is a guy who year after year delivers great defense, 10+ goals, usually 15+ when his line is decent, and 30-40 points, plus of course is a top locker room character guy.

Is he overpaid by a bit maybe, was the NMC a bit of a gift, probably.

Krug? Johnson?

And people complain about ference being so bad...

Jebesus that D group sounds bad

What a defense of Chara, Boychuck, Seidenberg, Hamilton, with McQuaid is not going to be bad, even if you play someone awful with them.

I am not advocating trading Ference, because he is a proven playoff performer, and if an injury does hit the front 4 I would rather have Ference to be the next guy up with Johnson in there, rather than suddenly being left with Johnson and Krug in the lineup.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
:laugh: You want Bruins to panic at 14-3-3 and give up one of their best Penalty killers on number one PK in NHL for a player with less goals and a minus too? I think everyone better leave this to Chia and just wait and see.

People need to stop pretending that the PK is #1 because of Chris Kelly. It's #1 because the team plays a strong defensive system, it has a Norris trophy winning defensemen, it has 6 forwards who are good on the PK, and gets strong goaltending.

They could move Kelly for Clowe, and have Spooner center Clowe and Peverley. Now that's a 3rd line.

The issue with a Kelly for Clowe trade is Kelly has a NTC which was absolutely 1000% necessary to get him to take a hometown discount of 4/12. :sarcasm: and he's not waiving it for San Jose.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
KELLY is signed beyond this season, CLOWE is not. If KELLY is going to San Jose for CLOWE, I would insist that Freddy HAMILTON is also coming to Boston.

KELLY for CLOWE and HAMILTON.

Now that you mentioned Hamilton ... I'd love to squeeze him into the deal :yo:

Clowe has been one of SJ worse players this year but he does usually skates hard and throws the body around ... I don't mind him but perfer Matt Cullen if were talk around the same skill level ..

IMO Cullen brings top end speed and plays similar to Marchy ... meaning you see him every where ( lightning in a bottle )

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Montreal wants Clowe --would make this B's fan very, very sad if we let him go to our rivals.

Clowe would be a perfect fit in Boston and fills the gaping hole we have there right now.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
People need to stop pretending that the PK is #1 because of Chris Kelly. It's #1 because the team plays a strong defensive system, it has a Norris trophy winning defensemen, it has 6 forwards who are good on the PK, and gets strong goaltending.

They could move Kelly for Clowe, and have Spooner center Clowe and Peverley. Now that's a 3rd line.

The issue with a Kelly for Clowe trade is Kelly has a NTC which was absolutely 1000% necessary to get him to take a hometown discount of 4/12. :sarcasm: and he's not waiving it for San Jose.

First of all they cannot move Kelly he has a no trade clause so right you are there. The guy has been solid year after year and has slow start and you guys want him gone.:laugh:.I get kick out of poeple complaining about him on a team 14-3-3.How many goals does Bergeron have or Seguin on 2nd line? How many pp goals they have? One decent week and he could be ahead them all in goals. See how stupid it sounds when you start pointing things out.I think you better just trust Chia knows more then rest of us and does a smart move or two.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I like adding Clowe in a lot of ways.

One being that he gives you flexibility when dealing with Horton. Or maybe you could resign both and trade Kelly or Peverley

Marchand-Bergon-Seguin
Lucic-Krejci-Horton
Clowe-Spooner-Peverley*
Paille-Campbell-Thornton

I like Peverley more, but with Kelly's NTC, I think he'd return more also, if you could deal Peverley and Boychuck for say a true top 3 defenseman, then I'd be fine with keeping Kelly instead.

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
Good point.

I would let Spooner stay in the AHL and develop there. Why throw him into the NHL and maybe stunt his growth?

Giving up Kelly or Pevs for Clowe doesn't solve any issue we would still have a hole on the 3rd line.

Clowe is struggling right now, I have seen some SJ fans say get rid of him and take him. They need forward depth so we could offer them

Caron
2013 2nd
2014 3rd(If he resigns with us)

I agree, giving up either of KELLY or PEVERLEY equates to half dozen vs six. CLOWE is struggling and being a pending UFA, CARON + is more then fair, in fact, if it's CARON a second and a 3rd, again, I would ask for Freddy HAMILTON as well, even if I had to sweetin the pot with a throw in like Lane MACDERMID.

LUCIC-KREJCI-HORTON
MARCHAND-BERGERON-SEGUIN
CLOWE-KELLY-PEVERLEY
PAILLE-CAMPBELL-THORNTON
BOURQUE/PANDOLFO

mdonova33

Nov 7, 2011
I agree, giving up either of KELLY or PEVERLEY equates to half dozen vs six. CLOWE is struggling and being a pending UFA, CARON + is more the fair, in fact, if it's CARON a second and a 3rd, again, I would ask for Freddy HAMILTON as well, even if I had to sweetin the pot with a throw in like Lane MACDERMID.

I wouldn't want to give up MacDermid, especially since Thorts concussion.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I agree, giving up either of KELLY or PEVERLEY equates to half dozen vs six. CLOWE is struggling and being a pending UFA, CARON + is more the fair, in fact, if it's CARON a second and a 3rd, again, I would ask for Freddy HAMILTON as well, even if I had to sweetin the pot with a throw in like Lane MACDERMID.

That is hilarious, I was just thinking of Freddy Hamilton, but I doubt the Sharks will get rid of both him and Clowe.

I haven't really watched too much of Clowe lately, I just know he has been dissapointing in my draftstreet pools, with not too much showing up on the scoreboard.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00