Injury Report: Ryan Suter (Lower-Body Injury, Out for Season)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would have been really pissed if Suter played. reminds me of Parise playing in the summer two years ago, then missing extended time during the season.
All he needs to do is show up to honor the occasion...not play.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Juuuuuust a bit anxiety-inducing to see this thread bumped with the old title - especially given that Zetterberg (for one) is already expected to miss 18-19 with injury (as reported today).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Juuuuuust a bit anxiety-inducing to see this thread bumped with the old title - especially given that Zetterberg (for one) is already expected to miss 18-19 with injury (as reported today).
Yeah, the title should be changed with the new news... that Suter says he's good to go!

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I would have been really pissed if Suter played. reminds me of Parise playing in the summer two years ago, then missing extended time during the season.
All he needs to do is show up to honor the occasion...not play.
Not even close to the same thing. It's probably for the best that he didn't skate, but taking a few laps in an exhibition to honor a friend, would've been quite harmless.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Bruce with Russo on KFAN said he saw Suter skating, doing stops and starts and said it looked like typical Ryan Suter. Also said that he heard he will be skating in the captain's practice tomorrow with everyone else.

He said Suter is not required to do the skating test to open camp, and may not play in any preseason games, but Suter said he may do the skating test anyway just to preemptively shut everyone up about whether his ankle is good to go for the season or not.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sometimes. Athletes are often wrong about diagnosing themselves, though. A guy like Suter, who never gets hurt... just saying it doesn't hurt to have a 2nd, and 3rd, opinion.

Most competitors want to get back out there, ready or not.

Reactions: FVM

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Sometimes. Athletes are often wrong about diagnosing themselves, though. A guy like Suter, who never gets hurt... just saying it doesn't hurt to have a 2nd, and 3rd, opinion.

Just an assumption, but I bet he has talked to a doctor about it.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

We're talking about being cleared to skate, something he's already doing from the sounds of it. He wouldn't be skating at all right now if a doctor said he couldn't.

This isn't a situation like Coyle not telling anyone he's injured until after the season. The Wild and all medical staff have been in the know every step of the way.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
why? how often have we seen our team run outta gas going into the playoffs? how often did we see parise comeback only to not make it through a full season? guess you forgot.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, it's now or never as far as keeping Suter under 25 minutes per game. 24 would be better. He's an excellent Dman, but when he is rested he is top 5, to me. Has all kinds of jump that he doesn't normally have.

Suter 24m
Dumba 24m
Spurgeon 23m
Brodin 23m
Seeler 17m
Pateryn 17m

Result. Maybe a win or two less during the regular season...mebbe not. A tired Suter is still better than a rested Seeler. However, Suter, our best player, goes into the post season with a bit of spring in his step, instead of making like Sisyphus.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, it's now or never as far as keeping Suter under 25 minutes per game. 24 would be better. He's an excellent Dman, but when he is rested he is top 5, to me. Has all kinds of jump that he doesn't normally have.

Suter 24m
Dumba 24m
Spurgeon 23m
Brodin 23m
Seeler 17m
Pateryn 17m

Result. Maybe a win or two less during the regular season...mebbe not. A tired Suter is still better than a rested Seeler. However, Suter, our best player, goes into the post season with a bit of spring in his step, instead of making like Sisyphus.

Your math is slightly off. Seeler/Pateryn would be playing 13 minutes with the top 4 playing theirs.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd try to lock Suter/Spurgeon in at 25 minutes. However much Brodin/Dumba plays would be heavily dependent on how much Seeler/Pateryn can be trusted to play, so probably somewhere in the 20-23 minute range.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I want Dumba to play more.
Your math is slightly off. Seeler/Pateryn would be playing 13 minutes with the top 4 playing theirs.
oops.

My main point is that Suter has to play less. If nothing else, it should prolong his career, and allow him to give us higher quality minutes.

Dumba seems to be a workhorse. Let's work him.

Make Brodin, Seeler, Pateryn take the lion's share of PK, sprinkling in spurgeon and suter(maybe I'm optimistic, here)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I want Dumba to play more.

oops.

Mu main point is that Suter has to play less. If nothing else, it should prolong his career, and allow him to give us higher quality minutes.

Dumba seems to be a workhorse. Let's work him.

Make Brodin, Seeler, Pateryn take the lion's share of PK.

I'm cool with that, as long as they're good at it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Where's the sense in wanting your best and most durable Dman to play less, just so your less talented and more injury prone players can play more? Suter has more than proven he can handle the minutes that he has been given.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Where's the sense in wanting your best and most durable Dman to play less, just so your less talented and more injury prone players can play more? Suter has more than proven he can handle the minutes that he has been given.
Some people believe Suter plays better when given fewer minutes. I don't see it that way, and it doesn't make a ton of sense to me, unless the argument is that he plays worse only in the back half of the third period.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00