Injury Report: Ryan Suter (Lower-Body Injury, Out for Season)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Where's the sense in wanting your best and most durable Dman to play less, just so your less talented and more injury prone players can play more? Suter has more than proven he can handle the minutes that he has been given.

I definitely don't want to drop them significantly, but if you can knock off ~2 minutes a game without negatively impacting the results, in the name of some future benefit, then I don't see the harm.

He was at 29+ four years ago, and has been sub-27 the last two, it's going in that direction anyway.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I definitely don't want to drop them significantly, but if you can knock off ~2 minutes a game without negatively impacting the results, in the name of some future benefit, then I don't see the harm.

He was at 29+ four years ago, and has been sub-27 the last two, it's going in that direction anyway.
Difference in depth behind him and different coaching staff. That said, I have no problem with him anywhere between 25-27/gm.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Despite all the reports from the medical staff here at HFWild, Suter will be ready to go for training camp.

Take key note of this from the article...

he simulated Boudreau’s skating test on Friday and passed with flying colors.
“I could do it. I’ll be fine,” Suter said, laughing. “You remember my comments last year, right? If I feel as good as I do now (on Sept. 14), I will do the skating test.”

So that's that. He's already proven he can do it. No concern about him doing the test if he's just doing something he's already doing now.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Suter played less minutes in NSH than he did here. Playing over 25 minutes per game when we have Dmen in their prime such as Spurgeon, Brodin, and Dumba to also play big minutes strikes me as insane, especially for a player well into his 30's. Wear, tear, and fatigue does matter.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Suter played less minutes in NSH than he did here. Playing over 25 minutes per game when we have Dmen in their prime such as Spurgeon, Brodin, and Dumba to also play big minutes strikes me as insane, especially for a player well into his 30's. Wear, tear, and fatigue does matter.
Brodin and Spurgeon can't hold up to the minutes they're already playing, why would you want to increase them? It would be great to cut down some of Suter's PK time, but even then I would just increase his even strength minutes. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Suter playing 26-27 minutes a night. Being able to play at that level is a major part of what makes him great.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
When he was playing 29-30 mins/gm I was all for reducing the minutes, but playing 25-27? No problem with that because he plays so efficiently. He plays a style like Lidstrom who played more than 25mins/gm when he was 40.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
When he was playing 29-30 mins/gm I was all for reducing the minutes, but playing 25-27? No problem with that because he plays so efficiently. He plays a style like Lidstrom who played more than 25mins/gm when he was 40.

Lidstrom's ATOI for his age 40 season was 23:28 (he also won his final Norris that season).

I agree with your basic point though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder if they will play him with Spurgeon just to keep his blood pressure down. Sort of ease him into the season.

I'm sure that the team docs know what they are doing, but part of me wants to keep him off the ice till Xmas. I want a fully healed Suter, and one that is well rested. I do not want a Suter with a chronically bad foot. all it takes is one slap shot in the wrong place...

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I wonder if they will play him with Spurgeon just to keep his blood pressure down. Sort of ease him into the season.

I'm sure that the team docs know what they are doing, but part of me wants to keep him off the ice till Xmas. I want a fully healed Suter, and one that is well rested. I do not want a Suter with a chronically bad foot. all it takes is one slap shot in the wrong place...

That could happen after Christmas as well. Or to anybody at any time.

Reactions: TaLoN

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
I really would like to think that if the Wild are willing to play Suter in a preseason game, he would be at least 90%+ healed so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that he is good to go but yes @57special it would suck if something fluky happened.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I'd feel better about Suter playing if WPG was icing their NHL roster as well instead of the NHL/AHL mix they are going with. I can just imagine some AHL plug trying to prove their worth and getting a bit too excited finishing a nothing check that ends up going poorly.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
They've all been adamant that he's COMPLETELY healed. I'm not concerned at all, other than the amount of minor league players on the other side, which often leads to stupid players doing stupid things to show their coach that they will go to war for them if they make the team.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
They've all been adamant that he's COMPLETELY healed. I'm not concerned at all, other than the amount of minor league players on the other side, which often leads to stupid players doing stupid things to show their coach that they will go to war for them if they make the team.

Bolded is absolutely false. He cannot walk normally.

I don't disagree with the logic that he needs to test it in a hostile game at some point, and if he's not ready for NHL hockey, might as well find out sooner than later. But to say it's healed is wrong. Big risk playing Suter tonight, as it is for all the roster regulars with zero to gain and possibly a season to lose.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Bolded is absolutely false. He cannot walk normally.

I don't disagree with the logic that he needs to test it in a hostile game at some point, and if he's not ready for NHL hockey, might as well find out sooner than later. But to say it's healed is wrong. Big risk playing Suter tonight, as it is for all the roster regulars with zero to gain and possibly a season to lose.
Where did you hear that?

Goose312

May 15, 2015
Don't know if it's specifically true that he can't walk normally, but listening to Russo's latest podcast he did mention that very recently was the first time he's seen Suter walking without a limp. So he was limping even after he's been more or less cleared to play and skating in practice.

But part of that might also be that the motion of walking isn't as easy with this injury whereas skating might not be as impacted.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Don't know if it's specifically true that he can't walk normally, but listening to Russo's latest podcast he did mention that very recently was the first time he's seen Suter walking without a limp. So he was limping even after he's been more or less cleared to play and skating in practice.

But part of that might also be that the motion of walking isn't as easy with this injury whereas skating might not be as impacted.
They still say his career would have been over in other sports, so obviously they do account for skating being different than running.

That said, they said he's completely healed in terms of being able to play hockey, not football.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
O boy. If that's Suter's level going forward, this team will be in trouble.

Very timid and limited in his movement. Guess it could be just trust/comfort issue, but if it's actually permanent range of motion and power issues, things just got a lot more difficult.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
O boy. If that's Suter's level going forward, this team will be in trouble.

Very timid and limited in his movement. Guess it could be just trust/comfort issue, but if it's actually permanent range of motion and power issues, things just got a lot more difficult.

Meh, he got the "butterfly game" out of the way: he took some hits, went into the corners, and got into some game action. He looked rusty, but it was his first game action while everyone else has 2 games under their belts.

How he feels today and tomorrow (recovery time) is more what I'm worried about than how he looked last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00