Injury Report: Ryan Suter (Lower-Body Injury, Out for Season)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
A lot of people are about to realize just how dumb they look when they ***** about Suter.

This is the PP that went at different times:
- 2 of 34 (5.9%) in 11 games, their PK was more dangerous over that same span: 4 shorties in 33 time on the PK (12.12%).
- 3 of 36 (8.3%) in 13 games, they allowed 2 shorties.
- 1 of 26 (3.8%) in 9 games (within the last month).

48 PPG in 233 PP (20.6%) opportunities this year.
- 6 of 96 (6.25%) over these 3 stretches of 33 games.
- 42 of 137 (30.66%) in the other 45 games.

The Wild could go 0 for their last 4 games and it wouldn't surprise me, even if Spurgeon and Suter were healthy.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
needing surgery would likely make the recovery longer.

You can't play hockey with a metal rod in your leg, the bone is weaker, which means another surgery to remove later as well. After it heals though, the bone will be stronger than it was before.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
needing surgery would likely make the recovery longer.

You can't play hockey with a metal rod in your leg, the bone is weaker, which means another surgery to remove later as well. After it heals though, the bone will be stronger than it was before.

He should get some chocolate milk from Parise, that'll fix him up right quick. :sarcasm:

Now all we need is JB Weld to invent some bone repair epoxy sometime in the next few days. :crossfing

Without surgery 4-6 weeks for a bone breaks to heal? That would be the somewhere between the end of the 2nd round to the Cup finals. Surgery, with the longer recovery time, means Training Camp? That sound about right?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And neither are where they usually are. Nino came back several times only to re-injure his ankle.
Good thing Suter is recovering in the offseason.

SEEHAFER: Examining Nino Niederreiter's Broken Fibula | Zone Coverage - Cold Omaha

The fibula is the long, skinny bone of the outer lower leg that attaches to the femur of the upper leg and the talus of the foot. The fibular runs alongside the tibia, or shin bone.

Niederreiter originally suffered a left high-ankle sprain during a win against the Chicago Blackhawks on Oct. 12 in the third game of the year. A high ankle, or syndesmosis, sprain typically involves forceful external rotation of the foot — turning the foot “out” — in combination with dorsiflexion (“bending” the ankle up).

These actions force the lateral and medial malleoli — the bone protrusions just above the foot — apart and can cause damage to the anterior inferior tibiofibular ligament and the other ligaments that hold the ankle together.

If the force is great enough, a high ankle sprain can also cause a fracture of the fibula, typically in one of two places. A Pott’s fracture involves a break of the fibula down near the ankle, whereas a Maisonneuve’s fracture occurs closer up to the knee.

Despite being a bone in the lower leg, the fibula ultimately bears little weight during activity. Typically only 6.4 percent of a person’s body weight while they’re standing, though the percentage can increase or decrease based on the activity. The vast majority of the body’s weight is born by the tibia.

High ankle sprains are notoriously slow healers, often taking much longer to fully recover from than inversion (“rolling”) ankle sprains and fibular fractures typically take at least six weeks to fully heal. The difficulty with playing hockey with a high ankle sprain and fibular fracture is that the actions that more aggravate those injuries, foot external rotation and dorsiflexion progressing to plantarflexion (“bending” the foot down), are important movements for pushing off while skating.

Consistently pushing off while skating may not make the injuries worse, but may prolong the healing time.

As Niederreiter alluded to in his interview with Russo, his left ankle may not return to 100 percent until the offseason. His fibular fracture is likely all healed at this point and is probably receiving daily treatment for his high ankle sprain, but, at this point, Niederreiter’s playing time will likely be determined based on his on-ice performance and pain tolerance.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
And neither are where they usually are. Nino came back several times only to re-injure his ankle.
Coyle has been fine. He's basically become the new Vanek. You can't play him 3rd line minutes with an ever changing cast of 3rd and 4th liners, and then complain when he gives you 3rd line production. Nino came back once, scored a hat trick and then went back out of the lineup for 3 weeks. He's had stretches were he looked as good as ever. Not sure you can blame his inconsistency on his injury?

Suter at 75% is still better than anything the Wild have.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Nino played on his after 3 weeks. Coyle had surgery and missed just under 6 weeks.
Nino came back after 3 weeks when they thought it was a bone bruise, not break. He then went out again when they saw it was a break.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Nino came back after 3 weeks when they thought it was a bone bruise, not break. He then went out again when they saw it was a break.
He missed like 4 games when they thought it was a bruise. He missed the 3 weeks after they realized it was broken.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
I've far more concerned with what this does to the spirit of the team. Boudreau seems to be already preparing for a pity party among the ranks.
Many teams have had unexpected success with a star player out. I'm not sure if Wild have the mental strength to be one of them.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
I've far more concerned with what this does to the spirit of the team. Boudreau seems to be already preparing for a pity party among the ranks.
Many teams have had unexpected success with a star player out. I'm not sure if Wild have the mental strength to be one of them.
Boudreau is doing the exact opposite. He keeps saying nobody is going to cry for them. I really don’t see that he is throwing them a pity party.

Reactions: 57special

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That is much longer than 3 weeks from the initial injury.
He also played games during that time. What's your point? I'm not trying to pretend that I know how long Suter will be out, just pointing out what happened to 2 guys with similar injuries.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
He also played games during that time. What's your point? I'm not trying to pretend that I know how long Suter will be out, just pointing out what happened to 2 guys with similar injuries.
Let's just write in a "maybe" for the Western Conference Championship and be happy with anything earlier.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Well.

I didn't really expect much out of this team anyway this season, but now I expect even less. I'd love it if they proved me wrong, of course.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Apparently the time table for Suter is going to be LONG. He can't put any weight on his ankle for 4 months. We're looking probably at mid-season next year before Suter is ready.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Apparently the time table for Suter is going to be LONG. He can't put any weight on his ankle for 4 months. We're looking probably at mid-season next year before Suter is ready.
You might want to check your math

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Suter is aiming for the start of the season. Knowing him, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to pull that off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad