Injury Report: Ryan Suter (Lower-Body Injury, Out for Season)

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
O boy. If that's Suter's level going forward, this team will be in trouble.

Very timid and limited in his movement. Guess it could be just trust/comfort issue, but if it's actually permanent range of motion and power issues, things just got a lot more difficult.
Huh? First of all, he was fine last night. There's zero range of motion in your ankle when you have a skate on, so not exactly sure what you thought you saw last night?

Reactions: TaLoN

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Huh? First of all, he was fine last night. There's zero range of motion in your ankle when you have a skate on, so not exactly sure what you thought you saw last night?
His mobility was clearly down a notch from previous and it showed. Watch the game again, he was visibly not putting almost any hard pressure on his ankle (stops, twists, turns). Very timid and slow, and not in a "basic rusty preseason game" of way, but more in a "the guy just had one of the most brutal ankle injuries imaginable" of way. He can still get by because of his vision, smarts and skills but that's not a 25 minute defender in a 100 point team.

Again, maybe he just doesn't trust that it holds yet and it's more of a mental thing that should fix itself rather quick. But that wasn't a very good performance (standard being Suter previously) and a lot will depend on where he goes from here.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
His mobility was clearly down a notch from previous and it showed. Watch the game again, he was visibly not putting almost any hard pressure on his ankle (stops, twists, turns). Very timid and slow, and not in a "basic rusty preseason game" of way, but more in a "the guy just had one of the most brutal ankle injuries imaginable" of way. He can still get by because of his vision, smarts and skills but that's not a 25 minute defender in a 100 point team.

Again, maybe he just doesn't trust that it holds yet and it's more of a mental thing that should fix itself rather quick. But that wasn't a very good performance (standard being Suter previously) and a lot will depend on where he goes from here.
I like your opinion, no problems with what you saw... I will say you are the only person including the media and the coaches who share your concerns. From everything i've seen and read he is right on track and will keep improving every day especially from presason game number 1 to regular season opener game number 2. Here's to hoping he can be Suter of old all season :cheers:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

I completely disagree with you on this. His skating looked completely normal, his positioning and strength also looked fairly normal other than some rust... he still had speed to get back when the puck was turned over, made a play blocking a shot no problem.

Watching him skate, you'd never know which ankle got hurt if someone hadn't said something before hand.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Fair enough. I can't say that I saw anything like that. After about 3 shifts, I remember thinking "welp Suter's fine".

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Just watch the game again and focus on Suter and you'll see what I mean. He was doing all the work with his left leg in those hard pressure digging into the ice type of power pivots/stops. It was very timid and gingerly. There was one instance where he was skating pretty hard with the puck behind his net trying to get away from a check and did a power stop but his right leg was barely participating. It's like he was scared to put any hard pressure on it. He stumbled, lost the puck and Jets got a scoring chance. Just one example. That's almost unheard of with Suter.

Don't know if you've ever skated and had ankle injuries but that's where you'll feel/see it. Not in simple north-south skating, where Suter was fine too. It's those situations where heavy pressure gets applied to the ankle, and that leg/ankle motion/angle. You can also often manage that in practice situations but in actual game where everything is amped up to max and you're not in full control it shows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad