MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
88p/125g as a NYR.

26 years old. RHS.

Can play C or W.

Former top-5 pick.

If he had a deeper voice, manlier beard, or a sicccc flow I get why some of y’all would be in favor of keeping him.

He’s been nothing short of terrific during his tenure here. Yes, he does have chemistry with Panarin, but without his level Of skating and skill, the success wouldn’t be there.

I hope we find a way to keep him. Crazy how Gorton managed to flip lolSpooner for him.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I love the production. Hard for me to understand how it exists, but it does. The points are there.

He does a lot of dumb, lazy shit. If we re-sign him I hope it's for less than he's "worth", because what he's "worth" is gonna be too damn much for a guy who only plays half a game.

Still, way above expectations. We have Strome doing this while Spooner is farting around in Minsk or Riga or wherever.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He does a lot of dumb, lazy shit. If we re-sign him I hope it's for less than he's "worth", because what he's "worth" is gonna be too damn much for a guy who only plays half a game.
I think that you will find that it is a very nice compromise.

Now the ramifications of when he resigns (as I now believe he will and for more than 1 year) are a different discussion.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Throw away almost a PPG player who inexplicably gels with the team's most talented and skilled player, is a great team and locker room guy from all evidence, and who has unsolicitly called himself out and owned up for doing stupid things during intermission interviews (mind you, a retaliatory penalty for sticking up for a teammate) because he is sometimes lazy on the backcheck. Ok.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
He’s on pace for 75 points. Sure, he’s prone to an idiotic, lazy penalty every now and then, but, come on. Number 1 PP, fantastic chemistry with Panarin, number 1 PK, should be number 1 in your hearts LOL.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I like Strome. However when he is away from Panarin he is a very different player as far as production but he has been a great addition and makes the Nash trade even stronger since we got him for Spooner. I’m still not giving him a big contract. 2 years I would do

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Throw away almost a PPG player who inexplicably gels with the team's most talented and skilled player, is a great team and locker room guy from all evidence, and who has unsolicitly called himself out and owned up for doing stupid things during intermission interviews (mind you, a retaliatory penalty for sticking up for a teammate) because he is sometimes lazy on the backcheck. Ok.

What's your price - hope to sign him at, max you'd go?

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
I love the production. Hard for me to understand how it exists, but it does. The points are there.

Still, way above expectations. We have Strome doing this while Spooner is farting around in Minsk or Riga or wherever.

I like Strome, a lot more than I think most people on HFNYR, but this 100 times over. I think there is a chance it happens, though. I don't think he's this good (or gets this amount of production) on another team.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Youngest team in the league is on a major tear--9 road wins in a row even---everyone's on the same page and contributing and certain people still have agendas against this player or that and it's kind of goofy and time to stop IMO because it just makes those with these kinds of agendas look goofy or exactly like they do have an agenda and it's not a great look. The Rangers have gone from having a good year to an excellent year (and if they make the playoffs it's going to be a great year) but grousing about it comes across at least to me as graceless.

I don't know if we're going to be able to afford to keep Strome after this year because once you get into the 60's or the 70's as far as points we're talking about a pretty substantial contract. But in the meantime he's played far far above my expectations.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He needs to work on his shot and his skills in the off-season. His power and velocity is great. He needs to refine it. I think he has un-tapped goal-scoring potential.

Maybe go work out with Kreider and Zibs.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I rarely play GM and don't pretend to be good at it. I just know there's a mutual benefit to him being on the team.

You can't claim people are idiots for wanting to "throw him away", but also say you're not willing to discuss the price point of his contract.

He's a fine player. If he signs a team friendly deal his limitations become much less of a worry.

But if he wants to be paid like a true 2C, then it's fair to critique his shortcomings.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
All I ask is that they take him off of the 1st PP unit in favor of a LH shot.
That's my gripe at the moment. Not with him but with Quinn.

The right wall needs a LH shot. Whether its Buch or Kakko, I dont care.

Their PP1 is too predictable when things are 'set up'.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I have no idea what his contract demands will be but I don’t like the idea of extending him long term.

I’d let him play into his UFA year and go from there.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
You can't claim people are idiots for wanting to "throw him away", but also say you're not willing to discuss the price point of his contract.

He's a fine player. If he signs a team friendly deal his limitations become much less of a worry.

But if he wants to be paid like a true 2C, then it's fair to critique his shortcomings.
But you're asking me to present an arbitrary figure, which you likely have in your mind as a threshold between this player being good or bad. And if I present a figure that's not in agreement with the one in your mind, then we get into what I feel is a useless and endless argument.

When someone blows a play on the ice, the first thing that comes to my mind is not how much he's making. I get the being held to a greater standard based on your pay, but should it be the top criteria? Gorton probably has a figure in his mind too.

Obviously when buying anything you want to pay what you think is fair value. That's completely arbitrary to the buyer.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Strome gets around Miller’s salary, maybe a little under.

Not all that dissimilar players in many respects.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Based on what the cap looks like next season and the season after, I'd imagine they are going to sign him to a one-year deal and try to get a multi-year agreement hashed out in the new year.

Reactions: jas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad