Player Discussion Ryan Strome

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
A lot of fans want Chytil and Kakko in the top six next year. That's misguided and driven by the image of their potential. They're not ready yet. And even if they were, the goal should be to have three skilled lines tearing it up not two.

I'd keep those two together on the 3rd line. Let them grow as a tandem and give them easier minutes. If they break out next year we're probably a wildcard team pretty easily, assuming Shesty can carry our D.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I'd keep those two together on the 3rd line. Let them grow as a tandem and give them easier minutes. If they break out next year we're probably a wildcard team pretty easily, assuming Shesty can carry our D.

Someone had mentioned it before and largely rings true: successful lines are based on working pairs. Right now the Rangers have three working pairs in Kreider-Zibanejad, Panarin-Strome, and Chytil-Kakko. Keep them together and build around that.

Reactions: Trxjw

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Someone had mentioned it before and largely rings true: successful lines are based on working pairs. Right now the Rangers have three working pairs in Kreider-Zibanejad, Panarin-Strome, and Chytil-Kakko. Keep them together and build around that.

I'd like to say that was me, but I know I'm not the only one with that thought process. Buch, Gauthier, PDG can all fill in on those empty top-9 winger spots. Then maybe Kravtsov can take some steps forward and perhaps step in somewhere later next season.

If Chytil and Kakko take steps forward next year, we might be looking at 3 really effective scoring lines. Hard to match up with that kind of depth in this league.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The Rangers have had 7 forwards this year play at least 100 minutes with Panarin. In order of TOI: Strome, Fast, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Chytil, Kreider, Kakko.

Their points/60 are:

Strome: 2.40
Fast: 2.22
Zibanejad: 3.42
Buchnevich: 2.25
Chytil: 2.73
Kreider: 5.04 (lol)
Kakko: 0.00

So 6 of the 7 guys have scored at a first line level and the only one who hasn't done anything there is the 18 year old rookie (and in his case it's only 120 minutes with him and very few full games) so why do we need to pay someone a decent contract to play with him when essentially anyone (86% of our options thus far) can score at a first line level? I would much rather take my chances filling in some random guy (specifically Chytil) and expecting good production there than paying 5M for it when I can use that 5M to supplement other spots and I don't expect it to make much of a difference in this one.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The Rangers have had 7 forwards this year play at least 100 minutes with Panarin. In order of TOI: Strome, Fast, Zibanejad, Buchnevich, Chytil, Kreider, Kakko.

Their points/60 are:

Strome: 2.40
Fast: 2.22
Zibanejad: 3.42
Buchnevich: 2.25
Chytil: 2.73
Kreider: 5.04 (lol)
Kakko: 0.00

So 6 of the 7 guys have scored at a first line level and the only one who hasn't done anything there is the 18 year old rookie (and in his case it's only 120 minutes with him and very few full games) so why do we need to pay someone a decent contract to play with him when essentially anyone (86% of our options thus far) can score at a first line level? I would much rather take my chances filling in some random guy (specifically Chytil) and expecting good production there than paying 5M for it when I can use that 5M to supplement other spots and I don't expect it to make much of a difference in this one.

Pretty sure those rediculous kreider numbers are mostly powerplay time.
Can you filter that for 5v5?

I absolutely don't want strome blocking chytil if he's ready, but the question is if we want chytil to eventually become Mika 2.0 do we want to plant him with panarin and take away some of the challenging aspects that could force him to elevate his game?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So as they looking to compete next year, I am not sure that they are simply willing to take such chances. You have a player that clearly gels with your elite talent. I cannot see them be willing to disrupt that. Not everyone can just step in and do it.

Boy, oh boy. This board will meltdown when Strome is brought back on a 2-3 year deal.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Pretty sure those rediculous kreider numbers are mostly powerplay time.
Can you filter that for 5v5?

I absolutely don't want strome blocking chytil if he's ready, but the question is if we want chytil to eventually become Mika 2.0 do we want to plant him with panarin and take away some of the challenging aspects that could force him to elevate his game?

Those are 5v5 stats.

Strome: ~659 5v5 minutes - 26 5v5 points - 2.40 P/60
Fast: ~487 5v5 minutes - 18 5v5 points - 2.22 P/60
Kreider: ~130 5v5 minutes - 11 5v5 points - 5.08 P/60

Assuming they played together the whole season at 5v5, the difference between Strome and Fast in 1000 minutes would be roughly 3 5v5 points: 40 5v5 points as opposed to 37.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
One thing the analytics community doesn't account for at times is that some guys are just good at pulling production out of thin air. Patrick Kane comes to mind.

I'm not convinced Strome is one of those guys long term.

Reactions: doomscroll

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I have faith in Gorton to pay the man but not overpay also. I'm sure Gorton is keeping a notebook on him and marking down his shortcomings in preparation for the negotiating table.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
If I'm Gort I'm telling Strome you're to some extent a product of another player, and other GMs know it.

Strome's last contract was 2 yrs @3.1M per. He did have a career season but again did so playing with an elite playmaking winger. Good chemistry with someone like Bread is a good sign and all, but Strome has other major deficiencies especially defensively. All evident.

Hope he signs for 2 yrs at 9M. Gets his pay raise, and he can show us more for 2 years. Can sign him to a friendly deal afterward or let him hit FA when he's still only 29. Or maybe trade him at the deadline year 2 lol.

Reactions: haveandare

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If I'm Gort I'm telling Strome you're to some extent a product of another player, and other GMs know it.

Strome's last contract was 2 yrs @3.1M per. He did have a career season but again did so playing with an elite playmaking winger. Good chemistry with someone like Bread is a good sign and all, but Strome has other major deficiencies especially defensively. All evident.

Hope he signs for 2 yrs at 9M. Gets his pay raise, and he can show us more for 2 years. Can sign him to a friendly deal afterward or let him hit FA when he's still only 29. Or maybe trade him at the deadline year 2 lol.

Unless we are either moving Panarin or playing Strome on a different line, his chemistry with Panarin should never be a reason to not sign him

Reactions: 1C and Fitzy

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He's not Panarin but Strome is a very clever and creative offensive player in his own right and very important to the Rangers scheme of things. Chytil is still figuring his skillset out. Filip though his overall game has improved a lot has also been finding it very difficult for about 2 and a half months now to put up points.

One of the major benefits that Strome provides that gets overlooked is his chemistry with Panarin (which I agree has more to do with Panarin's abilities) allows the Rangers to have two first lines. Zibanejad on the one and Panarin on the other and they come together on the powerplay. I don't want to see Mika and Panarin permanently together or at least not until players like Kakko and Chytil start realizing their upside. So Strome being able to play well with Panarin is a big deal and keep in mind Panarin's never approached a 100 point season before and barring season ending injury he's going to easily go by that number this year. He and Strome are good together.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One of the major benefits that Strome provides that gets overlooked is his chemistry with Panarin (which I agree has more to do with Panarin's abilities) allows the Rangers to have two first lines. Zibanejad on the one and Panarin on the other and they come together on the powerplay. I don't want to see Mika and Panarin permanently together or at least not until players like Kakko and Chytil start realizing their upside. So Strome being able to play well with Panarin is a big deal and keep in mind Panarin's never approached a 100 point season before and barring season ending injury he's going to easily go by that number this year. He and Strome are good together.
Something that some of us have been harping on when this debate comes up. The ability of the coaching staff to be able to deploy Panarin on one line with Kreider and Zibanejad on the other is huge. As this team looks to contend, that one two punch is essential.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
What I've noticed with Strome is that he ALWAYS goes for the low%/high risk play (often a risky pass), but he doesn't pull it off nearly as often as someone like Panarin does.

I kind of feel he's the center version of Ryan Whitney. 5OA, great locker room guy, loves to snap the puck around, not the greatest skater, takes bad penalties, racks up points with a superstar.

Reactions: Inferno

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What I've noticed with Strome is that he ALWAYS goes for the low%/high risk play (often a risky pass), but he doesn't pull it off nearly as often as someone like Panarin does.

I kind of feel he's the center version of Ryan Whitney. 5OA, great locker room guy, loves to snap the puck around, not the greatest skater, takes bad penalties, racks up points with a superstar.
A $5m player today

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It’s clear as day Strome believes he’s better than he actually is lol

That’s the only reason I can think of for his utter disregard for defense

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It’s clear as day Strome believes he’s better than he actually is lol

That’s the only reason I can think of for his utter disregard for defense

The line he's on has been very good defensively. It's scored a lot more goals than it's given up. Strome also does regular penalty killing time. The Rangers PK might not be the best--I think we're 19 out of 31--so we're not the worst either and our ranking would be at least several teams higher if it weren't for one pretty atrocious Florida trip.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Unless we are either moving Panarin or playing Strome on a different line, his chemistry with Panarin should never be a reason to not sign him
The question is what if he doesn’t have chemistry with Panarin as much as he’s a warm body with the minimum talent necessary to successfully ride Panarin’s coattails? If that’s the case we can probably get someone cheaper with less associated risk to fill that spot and do the same

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
The question is what if he doesn’t have chemistry with Panarin as much as he’s a warm body with the minimum talent necessary to successfully ride Panarin’s coattails? If that’s the case we can probably get someone cheaper with less associated risk to fill that spot and do the same

I guess we should compare him to Chytil then. How did both look while playing with Panarin?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I guess we should compare him to Chytil then. How did both look while playing with Panarin?
If the numbers up on the page are correct, Chytil produced better than Strome in his time with Panarin.

Another option would be to sign a cheaper
Ufa to play with Panarin and let Chytil continue to play with Kakko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad