Player Discussion Ryan Strome

May Rih

Jul 27, 2015
I think Strome gets around Miller’s salary, maybe a little under.

Not all that dissimilar players in many respects.

Miller's actually a pretty good comparison...throw him in a blender with Stepan, and you've for the most part got Strome.

From a contract comparison perspective: AAV is fair, term is a no-go from me.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Yeah, Strome has been productive, but he takes so many dumb penalties, especially I in the o-zone. Reminds me of JT Miller, and it drives me mad. I hope they try to move him at the draft and let Chytil have a crack as Panarin's C

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I don't like strome.

I haven't liked him since he got here. He's so....blech.

With that said I like him more than the alternatives in terms of our top 4 centers. That's the big problem here. It's not so much that Ryan strome sucks, it's that he sucks less than the alternatives.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't like strome.

I haven't liked him since he got here. He's so....blech.

With that said I like him more than the alternatives in terms of our top 4 centers. That's the big problem here. It's not so much that Ryan strome sucks, it's that he sucks less than the alternatives.

I think a lot this speaks to how he could be used going forward.

If he's viewed as a transition piece, and his contract reflects that, I think more people will accept it for what it is.

If he's viewed as a core piece, and his contract reflects that, I expect there to be greater push-back.

Reactions: Rangerfans

Verdadplus

Sep 29, 2017
Cannot over play Strome
This season is a high water mark
3 million absolute highest
He is really a 3rd line center

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
i'm fine with 2 years,. we need more time to let Kakko/Krav/Chytil settle and grow into their roles. I wouldn't want to just throw them all in 2/3 line roles and sink or swim with them.

i'm skeptical on how good he is, which is why I'd only want to bridge the gap with him and not commit long term.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I think Strome at a 2 or 3 year deal either at or slightly less than $5m per makes sense. That timeline is perfectly manageable for letting Chytil take over that #2C role, or proving that the Rangers don't have a replacement in house yet.

We're coming to the end of the 2nd season where people were penciling in Chytil as the #2C and he still isn't there yet. The Rangers need a stop-gap if they're going to try and push for the playoffs next season.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think Strome at a 2 or 3 year deal either at or slightly less than $5m per makes sense. That timeline is perfectly manageable for letting Chytil take over that #2C role, or proving that the Rangers don't have a replacement in house yet.

We're coming to the end of the 2nd season where people were penciling in Chytil as the #2C and he still isn't there yet. The Rangers need a stop-gap if they're going to try and push for the playoffs next season.
Agreed. If I had to guess, I would think that Strome gets a 2-3 year deal, worth $5 per. That gives them enough time to continue letting Panarin and ZBad play on two separate lines and for Chytil to develop. Once Chytil begins knocking down the door to be the second line player, Strome will either shift to wing, or center the third line. Or get moved.

Reactions: Trxjw and Crease

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

A lot of fans want Chytil and Kakko in the top six next year. That's misguided and driven by the image of their potential. They're not ready yet. And even if they were, the goal should be to have three skilled lines tearing it up not two.

Reactions: Trxjw

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
2 year deal is the most I would go. Let’s be honest when he is away from Panarin he isn’t good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad