Value of: Ryan Strome to Winnipeg

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
A shockingly reasonable trade thread. As a Jets fan, I'd much rather pull the trigger on a trade for Strome for 2 2nds or Roslovic than Laine for Domi. My only question, and this is for Rangers fans since I didn't watch a lot of Strome the last few years, would Strome's play style mesh well with Ehlers and Laine? Does he have decent vision? Does he posses decent puck retrieval skills? I know he did well with Panarin, but he's a different beast altogether.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
A shockingly reasonable trade thread. As a Jets fan, I'd much rather pull the trigger on a trade for Strome for 2 2nds or Roslovic than Laine for Domi. My only question, and this is for Rangers fans since I didn't watch a lot of Strome the last few years, would Strome's play style mesh well with Ehlers and Laine? Does he have decent vision? Does he posses decent puck retrieval skills? I know he did well with Panarin, but he's a different beast altogether.

two 2nds is a winning bid at this pt
topping what I expect would be two 2020 3rds + 2021 2nd from FL

per CF indications of team assets, that would be a 2020 + 2021 2nd

---------

to answer your ?s, going strictly on the eye test, he would mesh well with Laine.
I could be wrong but impression is brilliant sniper, rest of the game is okay or better.
Panarin does have stellar playmaking ability on top of scoring, so there would be some loss there to be expected given Laine, like all players, is what he is.
But my point is Strome has sufficient ability [remember this is a 5OA talent draft], and there is no reason to expect he will not at minimum hold up his end.

Chemistry is, of course, a fragile thing. You can't know for sure until the acid test of getting the guys on the ice is real. But that perfunctory disclaimer aside, there is no reason on paper to suspect Strome won't be a good fit.

As to Ehlers, I don't know enough to comment, even as to supposition. However, I will note the Strome-Panarin combo worked with multiple Ws. It was not 1 guy nearly 100% of the time. So again, no reason to presume vs Ehlers.

Finally, Strome has more value as a pivot, obv, but if nec can do righty shot RW -- food for thought.

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
two 2nds is a winning bid at this pt
topping what I expect would be two 2020 3rds + 2021 2nd from FL

per CF indications of team assets, that would be a 2020 + 2021 2nd

---------

to answer your ?s, going strictly on the eye test, he would mesh well with Laine.
I could be wrong but impression is brilliant sniper, rest of the game is okay or better.
Panarin does have stellar playmaking ability on top of scoring, so there would be some loss there to be expected given Laine, like all players, is what he is.
But my point is Strome has sufficient ability [remember this is a 5OA talent draft], and there is no reason to expect he will not at minimum hold up his end.

Chemistry is, of course, a fragile thing. You can't know for sure until the acid test of getting the guys on the ice is real. But that perfunctory disclaimer aside, there is no reason on paper to suspect Strome won't be a good fit.

As to Ehlers, I don't know enough to comment, even as to supposition. However, I will note the Strome-Panarin combo worked with multiple Ws. It was not 1 guy nearly 100% of the time. So again, no reason to presume vs Ehlers.

Finally, Strome has more value as a pivot, obv, but if nec can do righty shot RW -- food for thought.

Good to know. Appreciate your input. Strome would have no value to the Jets as a winger as we have too many as is. My interest in him is as a 2C if the fit is there between Ehlers and Laine. From the little Ive seen of Strome it seems he is more of a North-South type player, while Laine and Ehlers in particular are less so. If the fit is there, I'd think 2 2nds would be worth it for Strome is he's reasonable in his next contract (4-5 mil per).

Reactions: bernmeister

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
This is a selling point after nearly 500 games? My guess is that whoever takes him will be disappointed.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is a selling point after nearly 500 games? My guess is that whoever takes him will be disappointed.

That guess is w/o credible foundation.
He just proved a solid season.
There is no reason to expect disappointment.
Obv if he played with Ovechkin or McDavid et al, his production should go up, and if he is stuck w/dead weight on his line his results likely will go down.

But if you play him w/decent 2nd line material including a finisher/sniper, there is no reason to believe he will disappoint. No reason.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Strome is hard to peg. He's had seasons like this one before (2014/15 with the Isles), but then he's also had seasons that got him traded for peanuts. There's a bit of a gamble over whether he had another outlier season or whether he finally put it all together. If it's the former, you'll probably end up with an over-priced 3rd liner. If the latter, you'll end up with an excellent 2C. I will say in Strome's defense that his turnaround pre-dates his pairing with Panarin. Something seemed to click with Strome in mid-February 2019. Over the first 53 games of that season, Strome only scored 13 points. He put up 22 in final 28 games of the season, really locking down the 2C role on the Rangers.

Ultimately, he's a small gamble. If he is what he's looked like over the last year and a half, you are getting a bargain on a very good 2C. If not, then you'll end up regretting the trade, but he'd still be a useful 3C/powerplay guy.

And ultimately, if he HAD the track record of performances like this past year, he wouldn't be available for the kinds of pieces being offered (27 year old, ~60 point 2Cs don't generally get traded for a couple of 2nd rounders or a prospect it doesn't hurt to part with). I think the only reason he might even be available is that the Rangers see Chytil in that 2C spot long term.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018

Obviously Panarin was the instigator on that line throughout the year, but Strome was a very good distributor of the puck in the offensive zone, where his vision pays-off. In terms of puck-retrieval, Strome is pretty bad (plenty of o-zone stick infractions to be expected), but he is/was very opportunistic offensively even last year in the bottom-six without Panarin (.5 ppg behind Zibanejad and Hayes). Overall I think he gets a lot of shit from Rangers fans in-part because he’s not seen as a long-term solution on a this team, where there is a 1C ahead of him in Zib and a franchise Winger beside him in Panarin, but I don’t think for one second that Panarin would have cashed in on so many of his opportunities on this fairly shallow Rangers team if Strome didn’t have good vision in the offensive zone, especially since their other consistent line-mate in Jesper Fast is mostly a board/net-front type player.

Ryan Strome is definitely a support player, but when given a fair shot at success (which a connection with Ehlers specifically could provide), he is definitely serviceable as a 2C with consideration to his offensive assets and his defensive draw-backs. He does seem to need good wingers around him to flourish, as was shown in the discrepancy between his time in Edmonton vs NY.

It should be noted that I would rather keep Strome at least until the upcoming trade deadline so to bolster the Rangers’ offensive depth, and I don’t see an upgrade via trade for his position being worth it/viable now with his success here, as well as Filip Chytil’s progression as a center.

Last edited:
Reactions: RCAFguytip24112

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
That guess is w/o credible foundation.
He just proved a solid season.
There is no reason to expect disappointment.
Obv if he played with Ovechkin or McDavid et al, his production should go up, and if he is stuck w/dead weight on his line his results likely will go down.

But if you play him w/decent 2nd line material including a finisher/sniper, there is no reason to believe he will disappoint. No reason.
So, why are the Rags fans in such a rush to get rid of him? You know why. BUYER BEWARE!

Reactions: Snowman

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
So, why are the Rags fans in such a rush to get rid of him? You know why. BUYER BEWARE!

So for umpteenth time, you are not gonna misrepresent the situation, we:
a) need mins for Kravtsov, Kakko, Chytil, Gauthier etc
b) it behooves us to move him sooner than later.
He is worth more to the successful bidder with more term or in the case, the entirety of the upcoming year, as opposed to we sign and deal him mid year.
Plus if we take draft choices in return, possible a selection may be in this deep draft.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
The same could be said for Jonathan Marchessault. Took both 6 years to "figure it out" and it can even be argued that Strome was just finding it again since he had 50 points in his sophmore season.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
So, why are the Rangers fans in such a rush to get rid of him? You know why. BUYER BEWARE!

For me it comes down to two things: Money and Defense. The Rangers have a LOT of young players who will need to be paid in the next few years. Strome is a good 2C, but if we don't want to lose a Fox or a Kakko or a Zibanejad etc etc etc to a cap crunch, we're going to need to make some tough decisions now about which good players we can sacrifice to avoid problems later. In Strome's case, I see a player in Chytil who is ready to step up to 2c line duties, who will be cheaper than Strome for a while. So moving Strome now helps us to avoid $$ problems later. Defense is my other concern. Strome's major flaw is that he's not always present on the defensive side of his job. That's not uncommon for top 6, offense-minded guys, but with Strome and Panarin on the same line, the team needed to add a defense first player on the other wing to clean up the messes (Jesper Fast). With all of the top 9 (really top 6) wingers the Rangers have right now, it makes no sense to have a 3rd/4th line winger on our second line. Enter Chytil again. He's more defensively responsible than Strome, which would allow the team to put a more attack-minded option (like Buchnevich) on the RW.

It's not that I want to get rid of Strome. He seems like a great guy in terms of lock room dynamics, he's well liked, and he's been producing like an elite 2c for a year and a half. I just don't want to lose a better player because of the contract he would get, particularly when we already have an in house replacement who also (IMO) would make that 2nd line work more efficiently.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
The same could be said for Jonathan Marchessault. Took both 6 years to "figure it out" and it can even be argued that Strome was just finding it again since he had 50 points in his sophmore season.
I saw him as an Islander. Easily the player most likely to take a penalty in the offensive zone. he does nothing particularly well.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
So for umpteenth time, you are not gonna misrepresent the situation, we:
a) need mins for Kravtsov, Kakko, Chytil, Gauthier etc
b) it behooves us to move him sooner than later.
He is worth more to the successful bidder with more term or in the case, the entirety of the upcoming year, as opposed to we sign and deal him mid year.
Plus if we take draft choices in return, possible a selection may be in this deep draft.
Umpteenth time? The armchair GMs have been trying to sell high on Strome and ADA all over the place, your posts are among the longest and least interesting. I have seen Strome play quite a few games, I am just sharing my view on the player. He is expendable, because he was aided to a career year.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I would offer Strome a decent enough deal that anyone who wants to beat it has to pay via offer sheet. My feeling on Strome is that he is a popular guy in the locker room, and playing hard ball with him equates to telling the young players in the room that there's no Santa. It wakes them to the reality of the business of all of this and makes every negotiation harder from that point forward. I give Strome 3 yrs @ 4.363,096 per. Anyone who wants to offer sheet him for more has to pay a 1st and a 3rd. If Strome signs an offer sheet, it changes the story. The Rangers offered almost a 30% raise and he just got a better offer. I think everyone is ok with that and a 1 and a 3 isnt a bad return for a guy you got for Ryan Spooner.

Reactions: SRHRangers

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Last I heard the Jets really like Roslovic. It's his third year and he should break out as a center if it's going to happen. So I don't see Strome going to Winnipeg making any sense. The Jets defenseman are terrible. They should be trying to upgrade there.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Umpteenth time? The armchair GMs have been trying to sell high on Strome and ADA all over the place, your posts are among the longest and least interesting. I have seen Strome play quite a few games, I am just sharing my view on the player. He is expendable, because he was aided to a career year.

bold = your opinion
underline: false
he is expendable due to totality of circumstances, including multiple that have nothing to do with the player, but are as to the team and its situation.

Rather than reiterate what you refuse to acknowledge in my prior post, I will leave you with the words Dr. Faucci told Sen Ran Paul, the latter who tried to falsely control the narrative with some nonsense about how NYers had built up some herd immunity to covid, explaining our improvement, not acknowledging the correct facts of how our betterment has been due to social distancing, face masks etc. ....:

You're not listening

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I would offer Strome a decent enough deal that anyone who wants to beat it has to pay via offer sheet. My feeling on Strome is that he is a popular guy in the locker room, and playing hard ball with him equates to telling the young players in the room that there's no Santa. It wakes them to the reality of the business of all of this and makes every negotiation harder from that point forward. I give Strome 3 yrs @ 4.363,096 per. Anyone who wants to offer sheet him for more has to pay a 1st and a 3rd. If Strome signs an offer sheet, it changes the story. The Rangers offered almost a 30% raise and he just got a better offer. I think everyone is ok with that and a 1 and a 3 isnt a bad return for a guy you got for Ryan Spooner.

Don't get greedy. Two 2nds is enough.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
bold = your opinion
underline: false
he is expendable due to totality of circumstances, including multiple that have nothing to do with the player, but are as to the team and its situation.

Rather than reiterate what you refuse to acknowledge in my prior post, I will leave you with the words Dr. Faucci told Sen Ran Paul, the latter who tried to falsely control the narrative with some nonsense about how NYers had built up some herd immunity to covid, explaining our improvement, not acknowledging the correct facts of how our betterment has been due to social distancing, face masks etc. ....:

You're not listening
Now you are Dr. Fauci? Give it a rest. Yes, I have an opinion on a discussion board. Strome had a career year last year, playing with a dynamic wing who carried him. I am not in front of Congress, and it is Rand Paul.

Reactions: hn777

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I saw him as an Islander. Easily the player most likely to take a penalty in the offensive zone. he does nothing particularly well.
Once a 20 year old, always a 20 year old...

If I can look into a crystal ball and see Strome being close to a 60 point player w/ Panarin for the next few years, I easily sign him. However, we're a team with moving parts coming in and our line combinations will eventually change. I would prefer a real #2c where I didn't have to worry about Panarin being glued to his wing.

Selling high on Strome = a 2nd and prospect who might need a change of scenery after being passed on the depth chart. It's not like we're selling high to the point where we're asking for 1st and recent drafted prospect who's exceeding expectations.

We're most likely losing Fast as a UFA. DeAngel needs to be signed or traded. The money going to Strome plays a bigger role than just "If Strome doesn't suck, sign him".

Last edited:

RCAFguy

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
There
Someone finally told the truth. Thanks for your honesty.
There's no "real" 2c's on the market right now. The ask from Rangers fans for Strome is reasonable and wouldn't detract from the Jets core to do it. Would I like to see a better option in that spot? For sure. But it would be a cold day in hell before I trade Laine for a small upgrade on Strome.

Reactions: bernmeister

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad