Value of: Ryan Strome to Winnipeg

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Reasonable, hence the like.
But I think the x factor here is Kravtsov, and if he can play pivot, which he demonstrated able to do at high level of competition.

I see a line of
Kakko [play driver] - Krav [facilitator] - Panarin [scorer/finisher]
the way they should go.
You see a line of 2 LW where 1 is forced to play the other wing, and the only RW playing the middle? Costco has some good deals on glasses/new contact lenses.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Why risk that right now for a "fair" deal? Keep the guy that proved he can have success with Panarin and wait to see if Chytil takes a next step.

Chytil is not going to take a step playing with crap. He was good last season and certainly took a step, but we didn't get to see it because of who he had to play with.

Re-signing Strome should not be an option, so he's going to go eventually. Either this offseason or the next one. I'll take a second round pick, a pick we lack this year, and a guy who can help the left side of our defense for the upcoming season. I think that'll upgrade our team.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Chytil is not going to take a step playing with crap. He was good last season and certainly took a step, but we didn't get to see it because of who he had to play with.

Re-signing Strome should not be an option, so he's going to go eventually. Either this offseason or the next one. I'll take a second round pick, a pick we lack this year, and a guy who can help the left side of our defense for the upcoming season. I think that'll upgrade our team.

If Chytil earns the spot over Strome, great. Plenty of wing talent on the Rangers to go around right now that even the 3rd line center is all but guaranteed to have some talent to work with now that Lafreniere is in the mix.

Just like you can find a stop gap center cheap you can do the same for LD so Niku doesn't do much for me. I would risk not getting a 2nd round pick for Strome to make sure we aren't completely screwed down the middle if Chytil doesn't work as the 2nd line center.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Chytil earns the spot over Strome, great. Plenty of wing talent on the Rangers to go around right now that even the 3rd line center is all but guaranteed to have some talent to work with now that Lafreniere is in the mix.

Just like you can find a stop gap center cheap you can do the same for LD so Niku doesn't do much for me. I would risk not getting a 2nd round pick for Strome to make sure we aren't completely screwed down the middle if Chytil doesn't work as the 2nd line center.

We need more than one LHD. Staal and Smith suck. Hopefully our LHD mix next season can be Lindgren, an added guy with more offense, an added guy with more defense, and then whichever of Staal/Smith isn't bought out.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
We need more than one LHD. Staal and Smith suck. Hopefully our LHD mix next season can be Lindgren, an added guy with more offense, an added guy with more defense, and then whichever of Staal/Smith isn't bought out.

No arguments on Smith and Staal but it is what it is at this point. They are most likely stuck with them for this season.

Again though, the same arguments apply to Center if the Rangers trade Strome. Would still need a middle 6 center and they don't have anyone in the organization that I think the Rangers are penciling in. At least they have Miller for LD.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
disagree this needs addressing for next season - my reasons:
-- not Cup contender anyway,
-- 4 big Cap Hits expiring,
-- the Seattle Expansion draft -
if ADA stays, both guys you added to LHD above are exposure risks,
if ADA goes, still one of them at risk
-- take some more time to see how Hajek, Miller, Robertson, Reunanen, Jones develop

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
looks like he can fit in Winnipeg as a 2nd line center. Can a deal be made?

Players not available
Ehlers, Conner, Laine, Shiefiele, Morrissey, Heinola, Wheeler, Hellybuyck and the 10OA

If you want a top 6 C your going to need to part with something of value

If all those are untouchable there isn't much the Jets have to offer teams to bring in a #2C

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
disagree this needs addressing for next season - my reasons:
-- not Cup contender anyway,
-- 4 big Cap Hits expiring,
-- the Seattle Expansion draft -
if ADA stays, both guys you added to LHD above are exposure risks,
if ADA goes, still one of them at risk
-- take some more time to see how Hajek, Miller, Robertson, Reunanen, Jones develop

We aren't going to be adding anyone that great. And if we do, I'm okay with exposing Lindgren. He won't be the best player exposed. While I don't believe we're a real contender to win the Cup next year, I think we should make the playoffs, and we are trending up. I don't think a team shouldn't address big needs just because they are more likely 2-3 years away. I also don't think our LHD prospects are so good that we can be sure we'll get 1-2 top 4 defenseman from that mix within the next 2-3 years. I'm also not suggesting we bring in big price LHD, unless the fit is great, but we have to change something. We can't bring back the same LHD group. It's the biggest problem with the team.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Ultimately for me going from a roster of (not really focusing on which wings play where):
Kreider/Zib/Buch
Panarin/Strome/Kakko
Lafreniere/Chytil/Fast?
Lemiux/Howden/Barron?

Smith/Trouba
Lindgren/Staal
Staal/ADA

to a roster of:
Kreider/Zib/Buch
Panarin/Chytil/Kakko
Lafreniere/Howden/Fast?
Lemiux/?/Barron?

Niku/Trouba
Lindgren/Staal
Staal or Smith/ADA

Is a downgrade, and not worth it for a 2nd rounder at the moment. Imagine if Chytil just can't cut it as the 2nd line center. That ends up being a disaster.

Yes, you can find a short term replacement as a free agent 3rd line center, but again, same can be said for a defenseman that's the quality of Niku so to me that just cancels out.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Since there was been some whispers about 11ov for Bunch and Car. 1st.

Just curious to what the Rangers would need to add to Strome/Car 1 for 10ov?

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
If you want a top 6 C your going to need to part with something of value

If all those are untouchable there isn't much the Jets have to offer teams to bring in a #2C
Don't be ridiculous. A guy who's not even established as a low-end 2C doesn't come close to getting one of those core players. Even Rangers fans aren't asking for those guys in this thread

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Why risk that right now for a "fair" deal? Keep the guy that proved he can have success with Panarin and wait to see if Chytil takes a next step.

no.
we need to stop w/win now emphasis.
build
then you can kick ass w/authority later

If no salary cap or other issues
THEN
sure we can hold everybody and it only costs you development of the guys who get his mins, and for that reason I still would not go there.

But real world hard cap, covid, flat cap
no.
A good offer, let him go.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
no.
we need to stop w/win now emphasis.
build
then you can kick ass w/authority later

If no salary cap or other issues
THEN
sure we can hold everybody and it only costs you development of the guys who get his mins, and for that reason I still would not go there.

But real world hard cap, covid, flat cap
no.
A good offer, let him go.

This is a beautiful poem Bern. I mean, I think the content is wrong on every level, but beautiful nonetheless.

Adding a 2nd rounder is very unlikely to change how much we kick ass with authority later. I would argue that putting the kids in a winning environment now is more important than that 2nd rounder in getting to that point. Strome isn't blocking anyone.

If Chytil outplays him hell be the 2nd line center by the end of the season and all we lose is essentially a 2nd rounder. If Chytil can't handle the 2nd line center spot AND we got rid of Strome we have a serious problem and that would very much hurt the young wingers we are trying to teach on the job.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You see a line of 2 LW where 1 is forced to play the other wing, and the only RW playing the middle? Costco has some good deals on glasses/new contact lenses.
You disingenuously fail to volunteer, as is well known, that Panarin is a righty shot which is conducive to RW. I doubt highly a guy with his creativity and skill is major stymied by flipping to other side, esp since as I have remarked repeatedly, handedness is not really a thing in the offensive zone and thus should not restrict creativity. It is a thing in the def zone so when hugging the board or lining up on face off, players are not reaching over on their off side.

Thanks for the advice on the spectacles, but physician, heal thyself.

2 main points....
First, this ^ generally and I want his mins to go to Chytil, KK, VK and Gauthier.
Keeping Strome, $ aside, defeats this.

Second, moving him now means he is cheaper than a year or two from now. That is signif to the acquiring club b'c his production costs less now than it will later, and such trading partner is getting immediate use now.

We aren't going to be adding anyone that great. And if we do, I'm okay with exposing Lindgren. He won't be the best player exposed. While I don't believe we're a real contender to win the Cup next year, I think we should make the playoffs, and we are trending up. I don't think a team shouldn't address big needs just because they are more likely 2-3 years away. I also don't think our LHD prospects are so good that we can be sure we'll get 1-2 top 4 defenseman from that mix within the next 2-3 years. I'm also not suggesting we bring in big price LHD, unless the fit is great, but we have to change something. We can't bring back the same LHD group. It's the biggest problem with the team.

We do not expose Lindy and lose him for nothing.
If it makes sense in totality of circumstances, we trade him for futures, pref picks. But no way we expose.
Leave the Kraken hungry w/only scraps from us.

Since there was been some whispers about 11ov for Bunch and Car. 1st.

Just curious to what the Rangers would need to add to Strome/Car 1 for 10ov?

It was reported somewhere via Yardbarker 3-4 wks ago that there was talk of 11ov for Buch and Car. 1st; I think that is light by NYR and have suggested we add two 4ths, this year and OTT 2021 4th to sweeten.

I would be interested in a separate sale of Buchnevich to Preds for less and deal as you are interested if we can agree on pieces. Not a whole hell of a lot dif b'twn 10 and 11, but the closer we are to Sanderson, that could be worth moving up.

Mindful topic here is Strome to 'peg, what are Jets needs and ask....
Strome
220A
and ______
for
10OA

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is a beautiful poem Bern. I mean, I think the content is wrong on every level, but beautiful nonetheless.

Adding a 2nd rounder is very unlikely to change how much we kick ass with authority later. I would argue that putting the kids in a winning environment now is more important than that 2nd rounder in getting to that point. Strome isn't blocking anyone.

If Chytil outplays him hell be the 2nd line center by the end of the season and all we lose is essentially a 2nd rounder. If Chytil can't handle the 2nd line center spot AND we got rid of Strome we have a serious problem and that would very much hurt the young wingers we are trying to teach on the job.

I respectfully disagree.
And this wasteful win now mentality that burned picks for nothing has to be eliminated.

A 2nd is potentially a good player.

Reactions: JetsFlyForever27

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I respectfully disagree.
And this wasteful win now mentality that burned picks for nothing has to be eliminated.

A 2nd is potentially a good player.

A 2nd is potentially a good player. It is also more likely not one. A 2nd rounder can be had at the trade deadline for Strome if its proven we don't need him so why make that move now?

Troy

Nov 28, 2017
Don't be ridiculous. A guy who's not even established as a low-end 2C doesn't come close to getting one of those core players. Even Rangers fans aren't asking for those guys in this thread
Thank you I was just going to point that out

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
A 2nd is potentially a good player. It is also more likely not one. A 2nd rounder can be had at the trade deadline for Strome if its proven we don't need him so why make that move now?

If for no other reasons:
1. DOMINANT CONSIDERATION: give his mins to other emerging F talent;
2 a trade partner will pay more for a guy now b'c, and this is mathematical, not open to alternate interpretation, if a trade partner wants a guy, getting him sooner in the season = more opportunity for benefiting from his production. Taking on a guy w/a third or quarter season left reduces opportunity to benefit from desired players production over the whole season.

Both those.
peace out til latter

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
If for no other reasons:
1. DOMINANT CONSIDERATION: give his mins to other emerging F talent;
2 a trade partner will pay more for a guy now b'c, and this is mathematical, not open to alternate interpretation, if a trade partner wants a guy, getting him sooner in the season = more opportunity for benefiting from his production. Taking on a guy w/a third or quarter season left reduces opportunity to benefit from desired players production over the whole season.

Both those.
peace out til latter

1. Let those forwards earn it.
2. We are talking about a 2nd rounder. I am fairly confident you can find someone at the trade deadline who will give a 2nd rounder for Strome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad