Value of: Ryan Strome to Winnipeg

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You disingenuously fail to volunteer, as is well known, that Panarin is a righty shot which is conducive to RW. I doubt highly a guy with his creativity and skill is major stymied by flipping to other side, esp since as I have remarked repeatedly, handedness is not really a thing in the offensive zone and thus should not restrict creativity. It is a thing in the def zone so when hugging the board or lining up on face off, players are not reaching over on their off side.

Thanks for the advice on the spectacles, but physician, heal thyself.

2 main points....
First, this ^ generally and I want his mins to go to Chytil, KK, VK and Gauthier.
Keeping Strome, $ aside, defeats this.

Second, moving him now means he is cheaper than a year or two from now. That is signif to the acquiring club b'c his production costs less now than it will later, and such trading partner is getting immediate use now.

We do not expose Lindy and lose him for nothing.
If it makes sense in totality of circumstances, we trade him for futures, pref picks. But no way we expose.
Leave the Kraken hungry w/only scraps from us.

It was reported somewhere via Yardbarker 3-4 wks ago that there was talk of 11ov for Buch and Car. 1st; I think that is light by NYR and have suggested we add two 4ths, this year and OTT 2021 4th to sweeten.

I would be interested in a separate sale of Buchnevich to Preds for less and deal as you are interested if we can agree on pieces. Not a whole hell of a lot dif b'twn 10 and 11, but the closer we are to Sanderson, that could be worth moving up.

Mindful topic here is Strome to 'peg, what are Jets needs and ask....
Strome
220A
and ______
for
10OA

So, tell me how Panarin, who comes down the left side and likes to cut to the middle amd shoot, is doing that while coming up the right side and cutting to the middle on his back hand? Tell me how Panarin likes to one-time the puck on the left circle is doing that on the right side? Tell me why Panarin, who just posted his best season should move to RW, all to fill a vision you have?

You said handedness isn't a thing in the o-zone (D only), while also saying Panarin is a right handed shot and that's conducive to RW?

We're also not moving Strome or Buchnevich to give more minutes to Gauthier...

Last edited:

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
You disingenuously fail to volunteer, as is well known, that Panarin is a righty shot which is conducive to RW. I doubt highly a guy with his creativity and skill is major stymied by flipping to other side, esp since as I have remarked repeatedly, handedness is not really a thing in the offensive zone and thus should not restrict creativity. It is a thing in the def zone so when hugging the board or lining up on face off, players are not reaching over on their off side.

Thanks for the advice on the spectacles, but physician, heal thyself.

2 main points....
First, this ^ generally and I want his mins to go to Chytil, KK, VK and Gauthier.
Keeping Strome, $ aside, defeats this.

Second, moving him now means he is cheaper than a year or two from now. That is signif to the acquiring club b'c his production costs less now than it will later, and such trading partner is getting immediate use now.

We do not expose Lindy and lose him for nothing.
If it makes sense in totality of circumstances, we trade him for futures, pref picks. But no way we expose.
Leave the Kraken hungry w/only scraps from us.

It was reported somewhere via Yardbarker 3-4 wks ago that there was talk of 11ov for Buch and Car. 1st; I think that is light by NYR and have suggested we add two 4ths, this year and OTT 2021 4th to sweeten.

I would be interested in a separate sale of Buchnevich to Preds for less and deal as you are interested if we can agree on pieces. Not a whole hell of a lot dif b'twn 10 and 11, but the closer we are to Sanderson, that could be worth moving up.

Mindful topic here is Strome to 'peg, what are Jets needs and ask....
Strome
220A
and ______
for
10OA

Strome, 22Oa + Nils Lundkvist for 10OA + Niku

We get an audition year for Strome to see if he works here or not and get 1st crack at locking him up long term. With a flat cap for the next number of years everyone needs to be careful with the contracts they hand out. We drop down to 22OA, which is a bit further than I'd like but we also add a blue chip RHD prospect that should be nearly ready to make the jump to the NHL soon.

Rangers jump up and grab Sanderson to lock in another cornerstone piece for the build.

My preferred offer is Strome for Roslovic and we keep 10OA.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
Strome, 22Oa + Nils Lundkvist for 10OA + Niku ... Rangers jump up and grab Sanderson to lock in another cornerstone piece for the build.

Nils L not for sale, I get it that that is what would get Jets to consider 10OA

btw NYR likely would take a C/F if at 10OA,
and certainly don't bring back 2 LHD from Jets,
they already have Miller, Robertson at top end of LHD pipeline, w Hajek, Jones, Reunanen also highly regarded
if Strome>Jets happens,I think its a lesser deal, not a headline deal
Nikkanen, Gustafsson and a 4th

Reactions: bernmeister

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Strome and DeAngelo to Jets for Kristian Vesalainen, Sami Niku, Jack Roslovic and 10th overall??
No, no, no... from the Jets perspective.

Strome is heading for something in the neighborhood of $4.5-5.0M on a 1-yr contract via arbitration, and then UFA. That's a problem.

Jets need D that are strong defensively.

Reactions: Snowman

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Nils L not for sale, I get it that that is what would get Jets to consider 10OA

btw NYR likely would take a C/F if at 10OA,
and certainly don't bring back 2 LHD from Jets,
they already have Miller, Robertson at top end of LHD pipeline, w Hajek, Jones, Reunanen also highly regarded
if Strome>Jets happens,I think its a lesser deal, not a headline deal

I appreciate that. For clarity Niku is a LHD that prefers the right side and is ready to step into the Nhl so I was envisioning a Fox - Trouba - Niku right side with a Sanderson - Miller - Robertson left side. If you don't need Sanderson that's fine but another poster mentioned him and I think he could be there at 10OA if cementing that D long term was the goal.

I do agree that Strome to the Jets is probably a lesser deal as the Rangers likely can't afford his arbitration award. Blockbusters are fun but I do think Roslovic's rights for Strome's rights could work for both sides.

With the expansion draft coming up Roslovic is in our cluster fighting it out for the last protection slot (Wheeler, Scheif, Laine, Ehlers, Connor & newly acquired 2C) are the 6 locks and then it depends from there for the last protection spot for one of (Roslovic, Copp, Lowry (if extended), Harkins, Appleton)

Anyhow, I think that there's a deal to be made here even if lesser pieces need to get added to make it all work out. I'd like to keep our 2nd round pick this year, so if it was a 2021 2nd I'd feel better about it.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
... With the expansion draft coming up Roslovic is in our cluster fighting it out for the last protection slot ...

NYR have their Exp draft crunch at D -
if DeAngelo stays, they protect him, Trouba, Lindgren,
so cannot/should not add a guy who merits protecting
Niku would probably be of comparable claim likelihood as Howden or Hajek .... so
i have concern about trade proposals where NYR add a really valued LHD which they could not protect or would force exposing Lindgren

Reactions: bernmeister

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I don't really see Strome returning much value i'd rather just keep him this season to evaluate if last season was a fluke or not and/or if anyone (Chytil) can step up and be the next 2C.

I know some Rangers fans are obsessed with not letting anyone walk in free agency and are willing to take anything they can get but in this case I would be fine with it.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
NYR have their Exp draft crunch at D -
if DeAngelo stays, they protect him, Trouba, Lindgren,
so cannot/should not add a guy who merits protecting
Niku would probably be of comparable claim likelihood as Howden or Hajek .... so
i have concern about trade proposals where NYR add a really valued LHD which they could not protect or would force exposing Lindgren

The Rangers expansion list right now is almost perfect.

Prolly lose Hajek or Howden, unless we resign Strome and leave him unprotected.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
The Rangers expansion list right now is almost perfect. Prolly lose Hajek or Howden, unless we resign Strome and leave him unprotected.

yeah really - NYR just need to meet the exposure requirements for D & G
either Hajek plays 40 in '20-21, or add D who totals 70 over '19-20 + 20-21 Or 40 in '20-21)

and need a G RFA or signed next summer

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
yeah really - NYR just need to meet the exposure requirements for D & G
either Hajek plays 40 in '20-21, or add D who totals 70 over '19-20 + 20-21 Or 40 in '20-21)

and need a G RFA or signed next summer

I see the game requirements met pretty easily.

Hajek is gonna get every shot to make the team over Smith, and even then, Smith could very easily be dealt mid season.

Georgie is the G as long as he is not dealt.

The rest will be filler UFAs for the bottom 6.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ultimately for me going from a roster of (not really focusing on which wings play where):
Kreider/Zib/Buch
Panarin/Strome/Kakko
Lafreniere/Chytil/Fast?
Lemiux/Howden/Barron?

Smith/Trouba
Lindgren/Staal
Staal/ADA

to a roster of:
Kreider/Zib/Buch
Panarin/Chytil/Kakko
Lafreniere/Howden/Fast?
Lemiux/?/Barron?

Niku/Trouba
Lindgren/Staal
Staal or Smith/ADA

Is a downgrade, and not worth it for a 2nd rounder at the moment. Imagine if Chytil just can't cut it as the 2nd line center. That ends up being a disaster.

Yes, you can find a short term replacement as a free agent 3rd line center, but again, same can be said for a defenseman that's the quality of Niku so to me that just cancels out.

Which defensemen on the market do you want to sign? I think Niku’s a good fit with untapped potential.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I see the game requirements met pretty easily.

Hajek is gonna get every shot to make the team over Smith, and even then, Smith could very easily be dealt mid season.

Georgie is the G as long as he is not dealt.

The rest will be filler UFAs for the bottom 6.

Georgie not exposed. No need, Shesty is exempt, hank's deal expired.
They'll find a vet G or young pro, to expose

Reactions: bl02

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
1. Let those forwards earn it.
2. We are talking about a 2nd rounder. I am fairly confident you can find someone at the trade deadline who will give a 2nd rounder for Strome.
1 Youth must have opportunity; there is an initial tendency to phase out vets, incl to max trade value. Don't want a repeat of that POS Namest, it took forever to move him.
2 Pt remains, sell him now he'll command more.

Strome, 22Oa + Nils Lundkvist for 10OA + Niku

We get an audition year for Strome to see if he works here or not and get 1st crack at locking him up long term. With a flat cap for the next number of years everyone needs to be careful with the contracts they hand out. We drop down to 22OA, which is a bit further than I'd like but we also add a blue chip RHD prospect that should be nearly ready to make the jump to the NHL soon.

Rangers jump up and grab Sanderson to lock in another cornerstone piece for the build.

My preferred offer is Strome for Roslovic and we keep 10OA.

Nils is off the table, along with K'A Miller and Krav.
What about
Strome, 220A + NYR 2021 1st + DAL 2020 3rd [Jets don't have a 3rd]
for
2020 1st 10OA + Jets 2021 2nd + Niku
something like that?

Lundkvist is prolly worth more than 10ov by himself.
certainly projects in that ballpark

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Which defensemen on the market do you want to sign? I think Niku’s a good fit with untapped potential.

At the moment I am standing pat. I don't think there are any defenders or centers that are worth pursuing this season that fit other than bringing in a random minimum salary vet or two.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I appreciate that. For clarity Niku is a LHD that prefers the right side and is ready to step into the Nhl so I was envisioning a Fox - Trouba - Niku right side with a Sanderson - Miller - Robertson left side. If you don't need Sanderson that's fine but another poster mentioned him and I think he could be there at 10OA if cementing that D long term was the goal.

I do agree that Strome to the Jets is probably a lesser deal as the Rangers likely can't afford his arbitration award. Blockbusters are fun but I do think Roslovic's rights for Strome's rights could work for both sides.

With the expansion draft coming up Roslovic is in our cluster fighting it out for the last protection slot (Wheeler, Scheif, Laine, Ehlers, Connor & newly acquired 2C) are the 6 locks and then it depends from there for the last protection spot for one of (Roslovic, Copp, Lowry (if extended), Harkins, Appleton)

Anyhow, I think that there's a deal to be made here even if lesser pieces need to get added to make it all work out. I'd like to keep our 2nd round pick this year, so if it was a 2021 2nd I'd feel better about it.
What happened to Roslovic? Feel like many Jets fans don't see him as part of the future. He looked pretty dangerous in the 2018 playoffs as a 21 year old.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
At the moment I am standing pat. I don't think there are any defenders or centers that are worth pursuing this season that fit other than bringing in a random minimum salary vet or two.
I agree we are not winning the cup next year. I would stand pat as well and let kids develop and of course the contracts of Smith, Staal and Lundqvist expire. If Shesty is anything like we know he can be we probably still make the playoffs without making any moves.

Reactions: Fireonk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad