Player Discussion Ryan Spooner

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hope you guys are enjoying Spooner.

As for Nash, he can dominate shifts, but like you guys were saying, he may lead the league in "almosts".

He's shifty, fights to the slot, dangerous on the rush, he could easily have 3-4 more goals.

But I feel like that's been a theme of his for the last couples seasons.

Great move into a scoring area, then puck falls of the end of his stick, shot gets blocked, shoots when he should have held a half second more, etc.

Overall though pretty happy.
If the poor guy could shoot, he'd be Alex Ovechkin.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Spooner is the best and worst thing that happened to us this TD, and only time will tell which one he's more of. Some of that won't even be measurable as it's entirely dependent on what happens moving forward, and some things we just cannot know unless they had happened another way. We can speculate, but that's it.

Basically: He's raising his own value for a new deal AND raising Hayes' value at the same time. If this keeps up, both (assuming we do keep Spooner) will have earned a decently superior dollar amount in arb, if we go there. Not only that, he's almost single-handedly messing with the tank and potentially affecting our final ranking by up to 3-4 places with how tight things are.

On the other hand, it's awesome to watch them together and I'd love to see that for a full season. Though I've said that about Skjei and Smith, too.

So for me it's a whole lot of mixed feelings.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
12 pts. in 7 games is a great start, but not sure if Gorton is too happy - since he had the plan to flip him in the next summer window which was so obivous in one his interviews after the deadline. He will get more value for sure, but 25 years old is outside Chytil window when we are suppose to be good and compete.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I still wonder why the Bruins decided to get rid of him. He is playing quite good now. What was wrong with him in Boston?
Bruins fan here. Spooner has good moves; sees the ice pretty well, good on the PP; sort of a poor man's David Krecji. Knock on him is that he can be soft on the puck at times, can disappear for stretches, and has, at times, seemed to be somewhat disinterested as a player. But again, he's skilled. There has been much debate about him in Bruins Nation for years as to whether to keep him or not. After he got his arbitration contract this year, it was clear that we would have to fish or cut bait with him after this year. He was well liked by most fans and is a good guy so we hope he does well for you guys.

Now, about that Rick Nash guy....

He does appear to be the king of missed chances, but he does create space and opportunities for others. He's a guy that, as an opponent, you have to keep a close eye on, and that's important. He is pretty fast for a guy of his size and he has good hands, despite all his near misses.

So far, fairly good hockey trade for both teams, I would say.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
His possession game is pretty awful tbh.

But his production might be worth it. You could say the same about Miller, but the problem with Miller is that we were about to pay him to be Chris Kreider when he's actually Ryan Spooner.

The whole key to Spooner is going to be how much AAV we can sign him for. If we can ink him at under 4, I think he's worth it.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
12 pts. in 7 games is a great start, but not sure if Gorton is too happy - since he had the plan to flip him in the next summer window which was so obivous in one his interviews after the deadline. He will get more value for sure, but 25 years old is outside Chytil window when we are suppose to be good and compete.

I think your Chytil window is too big.

If he's not in the NHL and effective by age 21, I'm going to be very concerned.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We lack so many prospects @Machinehead - we are not a complete team at all in many different roles I consider vital for success concerning a cup run, and we lack snipers and elite players in general.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We lack so many prospects @Machinehead - we are not a complete team at all in many different roles I consider vital for success concerning a cup run, and we lack snipers and elite players in general.

In some areas of our game, I agree.

I think our forward corps is very good right now.

Reactions: Ori

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
His possession game is pretty awful tbh.

But his production might be worth it. You could say the same about Miller, but the problem with Miller is that we were about to pay him to be Chris Kreider when he's actually Ryan Spooner.

The whole key to Spooner is going to be how much AAV we can sign him for. If we can ink him at under 4, I think he's worth it.

Exactly.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Can't see him fetching anything more than a 6th rounder.
Honestly though, the value of his rights probably is around that. Trading him is stupid. Not saying give him a massive contract, but we really should try to keep this guy.

Reactions: RGY

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
Lots of players are due for raises this summer and Spooner is one of them. Sorry Ryan, we need that money for McLeod's new contract!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ryan Spooner as a Ranger has 4G, 12A in 18 games. On pace for 72 points over a full season.

Derick Brassard had 5G, 6A in 13 games. On pace for 69 points over a full season.

When Brassard started off this way, I remember people saying it's just a fluke, but it turned out to be a change of scenery that made the world of difference for his career. Could the same happen with Spooner? While Spooner plays mostly on the wing, his passing and assists remind me of Brassard.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think we can get a late 1st rounder or at least a 2nd rounder for Spooner. And I am leaning towards trading him. But I would like to trade Namestnikov and Vesey first.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I think we can get a late 1st rounder or at least a 2nd rounder for Spooner. And I am leaning towards trading him. But I would like to trade Namestnikov and Vesey first.

Like when do you wanna trade him and Nam? At this years draft? A late first or 2nd for an unsigned player? For a small playmaker? We might get a 5th out of him.

If we resign both, which would be smart, we can deal them later next season. So far not Spooner nor Nam made a big enough impression as to keeping them long term.

Vesey is a good bottom 6 guy, no more. I'll keep him on a cheap contract.

Signing Spooner and Nam may get us 2 2nds next year. Can't see a team give up a 1st for either of them. Maybe both.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Like when do you wanna trade him and Nam? At this years draft? A late first or 2nd for an unsigned player? For a small playmaker? We might get a 5th out of him.

If we resign both, which would be smart, we can deal them later next season. So far not Spooner nor Nam made a big enough impression as to keeping them long term.

Vesey is a good bottom 6 guy, no more. I'll keep him on a cheap contract.

Signing Spooner and Nam may get us 2 2nds next year. Can't see a team give up a 1st for either of them. Maybe both.

Spooner and Namestnikov are RFA. They are worth more than a 5th rounder. This isn't Keith Yandle.

This is also different from 2015 with Hagelin because we are not struggling to stay under the cap (before anyone brings up the Hagelin trade).

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Spooner and Namestnikov are RFA. They are worth more than a 5th rounder. This isn't Keith Yandle.

This is also different from 2015 with Hagelin because we are not struggling to stay under the cap (before anyone brings up the Hagelin trade).

So what's your suggestion? Trade both at draft, resign and trade later? If we get two 2nds for them, is that enough value?

I haven't been watching many games for months, so I can't really say if I like the two or which one of them more. What I do know is that they are fast, non-physical, great puck-control, playmakers. And we have faaar too many of those kind of players.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So what's your suggestion? Trade both at draft, resign and trade later? If we get two 2nds for them, is that enough value?

I haven't been watching many games for months, so I can't really say if I like the two or which one of them more. What I do know is that they are fast, non-physical, great puck-control, playmakers. And we have faaar too many of those kind of players.

We have too many puck-controlling playmakers? Yeah, because you only need 1 or 2 on the team LOL.

Spooner and Namestnikov can be valuable for this team. I don't think they are going anywhere unless the offer is too good to turn down. Namestnikov was acquired for a reason. With Nash and Grabner gone, we needed a player who plays well in his own zone. Spooner is a bit of a wildcard when it comes to what he might do. He looks to be a good fit with this team, although it is a small sample size. Could he be the replacement of Zuccarello when he is traded? They have a lot in common and Spooner is 5 years younger.

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
We have too many puck-controlling playmakers? Yeah, because you only need 1 or 2 on the team LOL.

LOL, we have like 6 play-makers on offense, and that's way too many. Specially since we don't have any true snipers anywhere in the system probably. It's what lead to our oh-so awesome Flowerplay, where the dudes keep passing and passing and passing until it ends on a weak stick and the puck goes out of the zone ...

Hayes, Buch, Zucc, Zib, Spoon, Nam, Chytil - play-makers

Kreider, Carey - power forwards

(Fast), Andersson - TWF

Holland, (Fast) - grinders

McLeod - "tough guy"

No idea what Vesey is supposed to be ... TWF? PWF?

Now relpacing Zucc with Spoon sounds good. But Spoon is nowhere close to Zucc's feistyness. Plus Zucc is part of the locker-room nucleus, lot's of heart and identification at stake here.

Of course we should trade any of Spoon, Nam or Zucc if the offer is appropriate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad