Player Discussion Ryan Spooner

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Figured since a Namestnikov thread was made, we should have one for Spoons too.

Had a good debut on Sunday.

While not a core piece to build around, he is a good complimentary option to hold onto for a rebuild.

Although he plays bother center and wing, I think he'll be better suited for wing long-term, should the Rangers choose to go long-term with him.

He is an RFA at the end of the season.

Last edited:

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes, he had a great debut, and I believe he is an ideal 3rd line player for us. I`m looking forward to the Nuck game in less than 48 hours. :)

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
He and Namestnikov have 19 games to show their stuff! they are in a good place, sort of if you forget about playoffs, where they can be the big fish. They excel then some coin will come their way!

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
On pace for 55 over 82 this year.

Brassard/Stepan production. We've got something here.

Flipping either of those guys would be silly, and it's just doing rebuild things for the sake of doing it. They're RFA's in their mid 20's.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He and Namestikov are two guys I'm not married to the idea of flipping.

I'm under no illusions that they don't have their flaws and will have moments where we complain about them, but I really think we're sleeping on both guys' talents.

Yeah I feel like Gorton got those guys to play them, not to turn around and immediately flip them. I can see them being traded down the road, I don't think they're longterm key parts unless something crazy happens, but I think you need to keep some decent plyers around to fill out your lineup if you're also trying to bring up prospects. It'll be interesting to see how he does. Looks like he has good puck skills and all but has never found that consistency on offense and probably isn't great on defense.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Look at the teams who win championships in this league. They have guys like Spooner and Namestnikov. On the second or third line. Keep them and add primary players, please and thank you.

Reactions: Ori

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Honestly meh on both him and Names...

Think they're greatest value could be packaging each with our later first round picks from TB and BB to move up in the draft.

We're obviously going for the 3 year minimum plan, don't see the need to hand them over contracts to expire once we're finally ready to compete. Get what you can for them in this deep draft and look to the future (instead of paying middling guys like this that won't be relevant when we'll need them.)

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Look at the teams who win championships in this league. They have guys like Spooner and Namestnikov. On the second or third line. Keep them and add primary players, please and thank you.

Yeah and by the time we're ready to compete they won't be relevant any more...deal them now while we can.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think people expecting to be able to move up easily in this draft are probably going to be disappointed. If it's a deep draft and teams like lots of players I don't think it's gonna be easy to package a late 1st and some spare parts and jump up into the early parts of the 1st round. Just don't see teams parting with those picks.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
I think people expecting to be able to move up easily in this draft are probably going to be disappointed. If it's a deep draft and teams like lots of players I don't think it's gonna be easy to package a late 1st and some spare parts and jump up into the early parts of the 1st round. Just don't see teams parting with those picks.

Surely, but hopefully JG has the ammo to do that with all of the newly acquired assets if they really like someone earlier in the draft...we'll see

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think maybe they can move up from the back end of the 1st round into maybe the 15-20 spot but I don't think there's any way they move into the top 10.

I also think it may be a questionable decision to burn multiple picks to move up if we are to believe this draft is very deep. If a real elite talent is dropping for some reason, sure see what can be done, but the Rangers need a lot of prospects. I'd rather pick more times than burn a pick to move up a few spots.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I know it's everyone's dream to have an entire roster of prospects but getting Spooner + Name back along with the possibility of both our young centers hitting the pros next year makes it possible to be a playoff team next year

I keep saying this but there's no need to be the Coyotes here

Reactions: Kovalev27 and Ori

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think he and Vlad both bring what our group lacks, which is top end hands and puck skills. We have big guys who can take the puck to the net and guys who can finish off the rush, we don't have many guys who are capable of the seeing and executing the pretty passing play, or dekeing around solid d-men. Both of these guys are capable of that. Spooner with guys like Hayes and Fast adds a skillset to that line that we didn't have before. Not sure where Vlad will play but I wonder if he and Buch can make some magic together, Buch can be a great finisher when he has a good set up man.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I know it's everyone's dream to have an entire roster of prospects but getting Spooner + Name back along with the possibility of both our young centers hitting the pros next year makes it possible to be a playoff team next year

It will take a lot more than that to be a playoff team next year.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The Rangers literally can not be the Coyotes, unless they move to Glendale Arizona and go through ownership and financial problems from that point on and hire Gretzky to coach at some point.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
I think he and Vlad both bring what our group lacks, which is top end hands and puck skills. We have big guys who can take the puck to the net and guys who can finish off the rush, we don't have many guys who are capable of the seeing and executing the pretty passing play, or dekeing around solid d-men. Both of these guys are capable of that. Spooner with guys like Hayes and Fast adds a skillset to that line that we didn't have before. Not sure where Vlad will play but I wonder if he and Buch can make some magic together, Buch can be a great finisher when he has a good set up man.
This is a bit premature. He's had plenty of good scoring chances. I've been underwhelmed by his finishing to this point. I'm not saying he can't improve in this area but he is far from a finished product.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Everyone wants to keep moving up further and further in the draft.

The top 3 picks are very likely to be Arizona, Buffalo, and Ottawa.

Sadness, Pestilence, and LOL.

I'd rather be semi-competitive.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This is a bit premature. He's had plenty of good scoring chances. I've been underwhelmed by his finishing to this point. I'm not saying he can't improve in this area but he is far from a finished product.
Yeah, I said he can be a great finisher, not that he always is.

I'm honestly willing to give almost everyone a pass for the last month or so. It'd be nice if everyone rose about all the BS and played awesome anyway but I totally get why everybody is kind of going at 2/3 speed for the most part. TDL was looming, the team tuned out the coach a while ago. It sucks but they're really going through the motions the rest of the year save for guys like Georgiev, Pionk and Gilmour who need to prove themselves and Hank who I don't think is capable of consciously taking it easy on the ice.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Everyone wants to keep moving up further and further in the draft.

The top 3 picks are very likely to be Arizona, Buffalo, and Ottawa.

Sadness, Pestilence, and LOL.

I'd rather be semi-competitive.
I'd be happy with a top 3 this year in particular because the talent is insane and we're pretty much already there. I definitely, definitely don't want to and don't think management should be shooting to be a lottery team next year as well.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd be happy with a top 3 this year in particular because the talent is insane and we're pretty much already there. I definitely, definitely don't want to and don't think management should be shooting to be a lottery team next year as well.
Exactly.

Plus with the lottery system, you can be halfway respectable and still get up there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad