Player Discussion Ryan Spooner

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
So what's your suggestion? Trade both at draft, resign and trade later? If we get two 2nds for them, is that enough value?

I haven't been watching many games for months, so I can't really say if I like the two or which one of them more. What I do know is that they are fast, non-physical, great puck-control, playmakers. And we have faaar too many of those kind of players.

unsigned RFAs usually carry more value than those that are signed to a bad contract. I think we trade at least 1 player before or at the draft.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
I keep Names over Spooner I think but ideally we trade both for picks. I don't love either player, but watching Spooner all year will lead to heavy drinking. A guy who can put up points like he can shouldn't be that frustrating but somehow he did it.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I keep Names over Spooner I think but ideally we trade both for picks. I don't love either player, but watching Spooner all year will lead to heavy drinking. A guy who can put up points like he can shouldn't be that frustrating but somehow he did it.

Basically a Miller clone but more of a disher than a finisher.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Basically a Miller clone but more of a disher than a finisher.

I found Spooner much more frustrating to watch play. Miller was far from perfect but he was at least engaged. Spooner is more talented but floats like crazy.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
I didn't mind Spooner as much as some people on these boards. I think we should keep him until the TDL and take it from there. Sell high if he's playing well or just keep him if he's not. It's not like we've got enough depth to replace both him and Namestnikov at the moment.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I much rather Spooner than Names

The Russian kid still has to produce away from Stamkos and Kucherov for me to believe hes the better player.

Spooner on the same Rangers team as Names posted 16 in 20

For the year it was 41 in 59

For his career hes better than .5 pts per game.

There may be things that Names does better than Spooner, but I'll take the guy that produces at a higher rate for the 3rd line.

Ideally, I keep them both as they offer different and no less important qualities, but if I am able to get what I want in a trade by moving one and not the other, I keep Spooner.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Ideally I would keep Spooner and Hayes. They showed decent chemistry on the third line.

Thought Brooks had an interesting thought about giving Vesey some time under Quinn. Was also a bit surprised by Brook's claiming that there's little interest in Namestnikov.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ideally I would keep Spooner and Hayes. They showed decent chemistry on the third line.

Thought Brooks had an interesting thought about giving Vesey some time under Quinn. Was also a bit surprised by Brook's claiming that there's little interest in Namestnikov.
For me it just comes down to what are you going to get for these guys? Hayes and Zuccarello are the only two I could see returning a package containing an asset valuable enough to make it worth it. I don't really see either Spooner or Namestnikov having a ton of value on the market. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I see. And ADA...he's had a rough go of it and I can't imagine many teams would be lining up to acquire him, even though I still like him as a young player. Same for Vesey--what is he honestly going to get in a trade?

Prior to last season, before the struggles became evident, the team talked about getting younger and having the young guys step up. Then shit fell apart, and they changed course a bit. Regardless of anything that has been said publicly, I still don't believe they plan to completely blow it up. I think they'll strategically move out certain players in the next two years, not sell off everything that isn't bolted down. I don't think they would have gone and paid Quinn a bunch of money to come to NY if it was just to oversee a full rebuild.

I think they keep the majority of the players they have under contract unless some tantalizing offer comes around or something crazy happens with guys falling in the draft. Otherwise I think they hold onto these guys (who other than Zucc, are all the right age to be able to survive a retool and still be in their prime when we're ready to go in maybe two seasons). The idea that some push that we'll trade Zuccarello, Hayes, Spooner, Namestnikov, DeAngelo, and whoever else, I just don't think it's realistic. I think Gorton knows you can rebuild this thing while still remaining somewhat competitive--which is good for the fans, players, coaches, prospects, etc.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If I had to pick between the two, I pick Spooner over Namestnikov. That being said, I don't think there's going to be much of a market for the latter. He's pretty clearly tagged as a guy who got propped up by Stamkos and Kucherov, and then fell back to earth once he got separated from them at the deadline. Hang onto him to shield the rookies, and maybe you get lucky and he becomes a driver instead of a passenger.

I would like to see Spooner get a crack at consistent top-six minutes and ample PP time for a few months. I've always felt like he could do very well in a secondary role if he was given a bit of a longer leash, and where better to get that leash than on a team with no major expectations for next year?

Trade Zucc, give Spooner his minutes and see what happens.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Well then your complaint about never having a good coach will be basically irrelevant as we'll have no team and be utter trash for the next few years.

we would get some young players, prospects and picks in return and we would end up drafting high again next year that is how you rebuild.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Spooner's laziness and passive play is not something you want to be contagious with young players. Ideally in a rebuild you want vets who are role models to the young kids. You want Ryan Callahan and Dominic Moore types, not Ryan Spooners. Him scoring 60 points won't help our young players learn anything.

If we do keep him, I hope Quinn rides his a&& and makes him hustle.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
IWas also a bit surprised by Brook's claiming that there's little interest in Namestnikov.
Actually not surprised at that, if the thought is that his offense was a creation off of the line he was on.

Have a feeling that Spooner is not cut from the cloth that Quinn is looking for. Namesnikov does not excite me. I would be open to moving both, though not simply giving them away. Want to see what Vesey is like under Quinn.

Zucc, I would peddle. Either at the draft or at the deadline. A Cup contending team would pay to add a top 6 forward like him.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Zucc, I would peddle. Either at the draft or at the deadline. A Cup contending team would pay to add a top 6 forward like him.

If we trade Zucc, I was until the deadline. He's a solid leader and can help get the rebuild/retool off to the right start, and I think we'd get a better return at the deadline.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Still don't think Zucc is on the roster this time next season, but I don't think it's an immediate priority for this team unless they get a deal they particularly want to jump on.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If we trade Zucc, I was until the deadline. He's a solid leader and can help get the rebuild/retool off to the right start, and I think we'd get a better return at the deadline.
I have no problem with that. A better return is all I am after. That said, do you believe that if we can get a 12-16 pick for him at this year's draft, would you pull the trigger? I'm going with yes.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
I have no problem with that. A better return is all I am after. That said, do you believe that if we can get a 12-16 pick for him at this year's draft, would you pull the trigger? I'm going with yes.
Pull the trigger and dont look back.Hell yes

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006

I don't see that happening, but sure. I see him getting a late first and a good but B-level prospect or something similar at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad