Proposal: Ryan Spooner to Dallas or St.Louis?

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
The way I believe they evaluate some of these youngsters is how is there game going to look 3-4 years from now. I'd imagine that's how the scouts look at it no? Are they gonna be impact players in the future from what they see from them now.. Must be a hard job trying to evaluate and pick players not for what there doing now but what they may or may not bring 3-4 years from now. Almost like trying to look into the future haha luck definitely plays a part..

Our team is in a great predicament with some of the depth that we have. We can't keep them all so, if they can make a trade for a NHL ready player now and that makes sense, Do It!

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Now that's being honest. Agreed that Spooner will not unseat the Yeti on that 3rd line. Yeti's game has improved and continues to improve immensely and you know the B's brass loves his heavy style of game as do we. Tho I can see Spooner making a play for the 4th line next season that's if he's still here.

I agree that Soderberg has looked better since he switched to C.

But...he was looking good at LW too, and since Spooner is clearly much better at Center than he is on the wing, I could see a repeat of the YES line

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
The way I believe they evaluate some of these youngsters is how is there game going to look 3-4 years from now. I'd imagine that's how the scouts look at it no? Are they gonna be impact players in the future from what they see from them now.. Must be a hard job trying to evaluate and pick players not for what there doing now but what they may or may not bring 3-4 years from now. Almost like trying to look into the future haha luck definitely plays a part..

Our team is in a great predicament with some of the depth that we have. We can't keep them all so, if they can make a trade for a NHL ready player now and that makes sense, Do It!

Spooner has a lot more projection left to him than Soderberg does. There's a 6 year age difference between the two. Yeti is about to leave his prime and further still, will be a UFA season after next.

Have to remember that Krejci had a similar age 21 year to Spooner (with the advantage of breaking into a much shallower roster). His age 22 year he was putting up 73 points. Spooner, in 22 games this season (including those played with injury/illness) put up a 40+ point pace. I'd imagine the Bruins would be quite content next year going with Soderberg-Spooner-____ (or Eriksson if Iginla or a better RW is brought in).

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
Spooner has a lot more projection left to him than Soderberg does. There's a 6 year age difference between the two. Yeti is about to leave his prime and further still, will be a UFA season after next.

Have to remember that Krejci had a similar age 21 year to Spooner (with the advantage of breaking into a much shallower roster). His age 22 year he was putting up 73 points. Spooner, in 22 games this season (including those played with injury/illness) put up a 40+ point pace. I'd imagine the Bruins would be quite content next year going with Soderberg-Spooner-____ (or Eriksson if Iginla or a better RW is brought in).

I'm with you.. I would place Spooner on that 4th line right after the Olympic break! I don't care wing or center.. I want him to play some games so let's sit Thorty for a couple games and vice versa..

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
How about spooner+ for nichushkin. Love to see soderberg setting him up with passes.

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
Depends on what the + is.. I'm sure he's nearly untouchable in Dallas, but I like his game too.

Yeah, I'm sure your correct with the untouchable tag. I like to dream. As for the + maybe spooner, koko, a pick?
I know this is low balling. I'm a business guy.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
We allowed to make random proposal threads in here? I've been wanting to for a while, but I thought we were using that other thread.

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
You'd "think" about it?? :amazed:

Yup, I'd think about it. You have to consider that these two wingers - Knight and Rattie have different play styles and physical traits. Knight is bigger and more physical, a more punishing straight driving play style. Rattie has to rely on finesse and speed. Knight is 5'11 and 96kg, Rattie is 6' and 76kg. Big difference there in physicality.

Also although Rattie had sparkling point totals in the WHL you have to consider that the competition is different. Knight was putting up his numbers in the OHL.

Knight
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=116045

Rattie
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=118248

You also have to consider both were taken with the exact same pick position but in different drafts, round 2 pick 32. So talent-wise their projection must have been similar at the time of the pick.

Of course right now, I'd certainly consider Rattie to have the edge. But it's not at the point where I would be able to say Knight wouldn't be able to catch up next year or something like that. I did say Knight+ would be needed if a trade were to happen, but it would depend on what the plus would be.

Just look at Matt Fraser for instance. His numbers aren't far off from Rattie and he has fewer games played this season.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=81250

And as I said for Spooner. He's just starting to come into his own but he's already a PPG player at the AHL level. I think he just needs to get a little stronger and mature a bit, then he will be ready for the NHL level. He has a tantalizing blend of speed and skill and we shouldn't give him away too soon. Particularly when his value will only increase as he gets better.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I would trade Spooner for Rattie in a heartbeat. First, I see two serious attitude red flags with Spooner: One, he refuses to play wing on a team that needs wingers. ....(Alright he is probably right, that he is not strong enough to make any kind of a wing but he should have at least tried.)
Two: He looked to me like he was making an effort and grasping the defensive game after about ten games...It kept up for a few games than it stopped for his last several games. The kid has been suspended in Providence already too....Red flags...
He is a potential first line talent but we need the D more than badly enough to move him and have better centers here.

I think he was playing with an ankle injury that was progressively getting worse. Overall I was happy with what I saw and I hope to see him again full-time soon once he's healthy again.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I would trade Spooner for Rattie in a heartbeat. First, I see two serious attitude red flags with Spooner: One, he refuses to play wing on a team that needs wingers. ....(Alright he is probably right, that he is not strong enough to make any kind of a wing but he should have at least tried.)
Two: He looked to me like he was making an effort and grasping the defensive game after about ten games...It kept up for a few games than it stopped for his last several games. The kid has been suspended in Providence already too....Red flags...
He is a potential first line talent but we need the D more than badly enough to move him and have better centers here.

Wow. Talking **** with no concern for accuracy. Awesome.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Two: He looked to me like he was making an effort and grasping the defensive game after about ten games...It kept up for a few games than it stopped for his last several games.......... (Note I cannot find a news story substantiating the Providence problem so I have deleted but the other stuff I stand by.)

anyone reading this should realize its got more bull **** in it than a cow pasture

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Attitude? He's pretty mature and professional (from what I've seen).

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Two: He looked to me like he was making an effort and grasping the defensive game after about ten games...It kept up for a few games than it stopped for his last several games.......... (Note I cannot find a news story substantiating the Providence problem so I have deleted but the other stuff I stand by.)

Spooner would flip burgers for the Bruins if they wanted him to... He feels he's best at center, the Bruins recognize that, so we're developing him as one.

No attitude problem whatsoever. If he had an attitude problem, he wouldn't have reported to providence and would have demanded a trade. He knows his role, the team knows his future, he's being patient and making the most of his opportunities. A lot like Rask, if you ask me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad