Proposal: Ryan Spooner to Dallas or St.Louis?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like Chris Stewart more than most people and I'd like to have him on the Bruins. However, I would wager than he's a total non-starter for most people because of his streaky production and somewhat bad rep as a result. And, even to a Chris Stewart fan like me, he has looked pretty useless in some recent games. I'd take him, 99% of the people here would not, especially for Spooner, a seeming favorite already.

this guy may be the single most maddening player in the NHL- very talented but if Bruins fans can be frustrated with Horton this guy exceeds that. When he is on his game he is a force and the thought of Stewart and Lucic would be near unstoppable with that rare combination of size and skill....I'd rather have his best bud Simmonds if the Flyers would give him up in a deal

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
this guy may be the single most maddening player in the NHL- very talented but if Bruins fans can be frustrated with Horton this guy exceeds that. When he is on his game he is a force and the thought of Stewart and Lucic would be near unstoppable with that rare combination of size and skill....I'd rather have his best bud Simmonds if the Flyers would give him up in a deal

I like Simmonds too. Probably will not top out as the scorer that Stewart is, and he's not as tough as Stewart is, but Simmonds has a better motor and is engaged much more consistently. He'd be popular in Boston. IF - and that's a big, big if - somebody can unlock that next level in Stewart, well, I'll take that guy and love it. But he'd be chewed up in Boston I suspect.

It's funny. Horton is so reviled in Boston. He was a pretty good player. Imperfect, streaky, all that. But his reputation after leaving is pretty out of whack with the reality of what he did for the Bruins. I'm not dismissing his faults at all; it's just that the hatred towards him seems so exaggerated. Is Ference, like, the first ex-Bruins player in the past 10 years who is not totally hated since he left? Or have I simply underestimated the hatred for Ference ;)

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
Anybody want to trade Erikson for Jaskin?

If not let's move on to something realistic...

What's that again?

Bane_TDKR3.jpg

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
I like what I saw in Ryan Spooner.

He reminds me of Savvy at times (possible playmaker ?). He is fast and the B's need that.

Not willing to trade him away.

Yup.

Flashes of Savvy like we haven't seen since, well, Savvy ...

Not interested in trading him.

A Healthy Kelly*

I don't get it.

He's comparing Spooner's potential to the likes of: Kessel, Seguin, and Wheeler respectively (listed in corresponding order relative to the stats he posted).

He's making an unfounded and critical jest regarding Chia's past with offensive-minded forwards in this system. I don't think he's serious. I hope he's not serious. He's probably serious, though.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
He's comparing Spooner's potential to the likes of: Kessel, Seguin, and Wheeler respectively (listed in corresponding order relative to the stats he posted).

He's making an unfounded and critical jest regarding Chia's past with offensive-minded forwards in this system. I don't think he's serious. I hope he's not serious. He's probably serious, though.

Wheeler. LOL:laugh:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
No

Id like to give him the Marchand treatment though and have him skate in Thornton's spot to work his way in. Will help him adjust to wing. He'll be guy #10 who slots into the top 9 upon injury.

Id actually have 3 centers on the fourth line with Kelly, Campbell, and Spooner together.

And after 1 more season of Iginla I'd try him as winger with Lucic and Krejci.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
If Soderberg keeps playing great, Spooner is going to get mover this summer. Not before. Bruins wan their depth for a cup run.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
But the OP raises something worth discussing.

1) If you believe the Bruins could use some more help to win the Cup - and I don't mean to "be good in the playoffs," I mean to be very able to beat Chicago - then you have to be realistic about what they may have to give up.

2) If you believe the Bruins are well stocked down the middle for the foreseeable future, and/or you don't believe Spooner is an ideal #3 center, and/or you don't believe he is an ideal top 9 winger, then you should consider how you might parlay that asset into a player or prospect that better fits the Bruins' needs.

For most fans, this has nothing to do with wanting to get rid of Spooner or not sufficiently valuing how good he is (or may be). And if the idea of trading Spooner is a total non-starter to you - hard to imagine since there is always some trade that makes any player tradeable - then there's no point in discussing it anyway. But if the Bruins can trade from a position of presumed depth to improve or add depth at a position where they are not so strong, then it's fair to discuss, no?

Don't worry, it's not like anything that is talked about here is going to influence what happens it the real world.

For me, it`s all about whether or not Spooner would be able to push Soderberg out of the middle on the 3rd line (which is where it appears he`ll remain for the most part)?? Not sure he can

Bergy and Krejci are clearly going nowhere, Soderberg showing more comfort and producing more with each passing game. And Spoons on a 4th line just isn`t right. So.....can he learn how to play the wall?? If not, there could be a situation where it`s just an embarrassment of riches and Spoons could be left out of the party?

Tough decisions, I know Spooner has stated publicly he is clearly more comfortable in his natural position, well, not sure he`ll win that role with the way this team is up the middle as currently built

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
I really don't want to trade Spooner either but I sort of like the idea of a package deal. Keeping with the Dallas idea I'd do Spooner and Caron for Ritchie, Chiasson and Gaunce. Two NHL ready players for three not so ready (yes I know Chiasson is playing up but they have no one else). Cole and Whitney are getting long in the tooth so Caron would really help out there as a replacement for either. With our depth at C, I think we could afford to let Spooner go. In Dallas he would probably center the 2nd line this year with Eakin moving to the LW. I see Caron being their 3rd line RW with Garbutt dropping to the 4th.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I really don't want to trade Spooner either but I sort of like the idea of a package deal. Keeping with the Dallas idea I'd do Spooner and Caron for Ritchie, Chiasson and Gaunce. Two NHL ready players for three not so ready (yes I know Chiasson is playing up but they have no one else). Cole and Whitney are getting long in the tooth so Caron would really help out there as a replacement for either. With our depth at C, I think we could afford to let Spooner go. In Dallas he would probably center the 2nd line this year with Eakin moving to the LW. I see Caron being their 3rd line RW with Garbutt dropping to the 4th.

Not a fan of moving Spooner either but my gut is telling me it isn`t crazy to see it happening, this team is so stacked up the middle and I`m just not sure he can play the wall

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Not a fan of moving Spooner either but my gut is telling me it isn`t crazy to see it happening, this team is so stacked up the middle and I`m just not sure he can play the wall

Yeah... I think some center is getting moved in the off-season if not before. You got 3 centers that have been 'competing' for the 3rd line spot, you have to think about moving one of them for a D-man or a legitimate wing.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yeah... I think some center is getting moved in the off-season if not before. You got 3 centers that have been 'competing' for the 3rd line spot, you have to think about moving one of them for a D-man or a legitimate wing.

Sods contract is way too friendly, I think Kelly might be approached by Chia asking him to submit a list of teams he`d be willing to move to. There`s a place for Spoons on this team....but it might not be the position he would feel most comfortable playing, it`ll be up to him to show he can play the wall

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Sods contract is way too friendly, I think Kelly might be approached by Chia asking him to submit a list of teams he`d be willing to move to. There`s a place for Spoons on this team....but it might not be the position he would feel most comfortable playing, it`ll be up to him to show he can play the wall

I don't think that's a might, if they carry over a bonus penalty into next year, I think he will approach him about a list of teams. Ideally they can work something amenable out.

With Soderberg and Spooner there are a lot of variables, and I wouldn't deal Spooner until I've seen that Soderberg is wildly better at center than wing over a long sample/playoffs and even still probably not until they've at least had discussions about an extension.

You don't want to have a situation where you have Krejci or Soderberg hitting UFA and not being insulated against that. They could see Khokhlachev as being the eventual heir, but I'm not sold that the answer next year still isn't Spooner at C where I thought before his injury/illness he was very good, and Soderberg at LW where he's been only slightly less productive overall, that way going into 2015-16 you at least have 2 centers under control (Spooner, Bergeron).

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Not impressed with Chiasson at all. He had a nice goal streak in his first 10 or so games as a pro, but other than that? meh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad