Proposal: Ryan Spooner to Dallas or St.Louis?

Pint O Guinness

Apr 6, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Boston has good depth down the middle for AHL and isn't a problem at the NHL level.
Ryan Spooner showed signs of David Krejci in his game, if we wanted a RW I think we should look towards, Dallas who in recent history we've been trading partners

Also St. Louis has an intriguing prospect to watch, so I was wondering if these are fair and if you pull the trigger on them?

Ryan Spooner to Dal
Brett Ritchie to Bos

Or

Ryan Spooner to Stl
Ty Rattie to Bos

Last edited by a moderator:

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
While I understand where you're coming from with the trade ideas, conventional wisdom seems to be that the Bruins should be in "win now or at least soon" mode given the ticking clock on Chara, etc. That would suggest that if top assets like high draft picks or Spooner or other good prospects are dealt, it should be for experienced NHL players who can help this year and (if not rentals) for the next couple, and I mean "help" as in be a fairly sure thing.

I'm not disagreeing with your ideas, just pointing out that I don't think that is how the Bruins will approach roster additions, for now.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I don't do Spooner for another prospect. Mainly for reasons pointed out by B E.

I would consider moving him in a package if that brought back a bonafide top four D man though.

member 96824

Has to be either a top 4 D...or a potential Iggy replacement...anything else is just moving laterally.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
T4 D is a no brainer, but I'd also like to see them snag another versatile bottom 6 forward ala Kelly/Peverley who can play the wing and center.

It makes filling a hole in the playoffs much easier.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
I don't do Spooner for another prospect. Mainly for reasons pointed out by B E.

I would consider moving him in a package if that brought back a bonafide top four D man though.

Has to be either a top 4 D...or a potential Iggy replacement...anything else is just moving laterally.

This...
despite all his haters, I think he shows a lot of potential and demonstrated that he will be a very good player in a few years. He's a sure thing.
Caron on the other hand.. happy to see him go for another prospect.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
This...
despite all his haters, I think he shows a lot of potential and demonstrated that he will be a very good player in a few years. He's a sure thing.
Caron on the other hand.. happy to see him go for another prospect.

I like what I saw in Ryan Spooner.

He reminds me of Savvy at times (possible playmaker ?). He is fast and the B's need that.

Not willing to trade him away.

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
Not for Ritchie.. But for Rattie, i cant say no.

Watching Ty Rattie on Canada's junior team and in the Memorial Cup, hes got crazy skills. Always the best player on the ice every time ive seen him. I know Spooner has skills too and has scored at every level so far, but Rattie is just tempting to pass up. Plus he plays the wing, would be a good fit.

Furry89

Nov 17, 2013
Not for Ritchie.. But for Rattie, i cant say no.

Watching Ty Rattie on Canada's junior team and in the Memorial Cup, hes got crazy skills. Always the best player on the ice every time ive seen him. I know Spooner has skills too and has scored at every level so far, but Rattie is just tempting to pass up. Plus he plays the wing, would be a good fit.

I would rather have Tarasenko. If you want to move Spooner for a RW from St. Louis that's who I'm looking for in return

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
But the OP raises something worth discussing.

1) If you believe the Bruins could use some more help to win the Cup - and I don't mean to "be good in the playoffs," I mean to be very able to beat Chicago - then you have to be realistic about what they may have to give up.

2) If you believe the Bruins are well stocked down the middle for the foreseeable future, and/or you don't believe Spooner is an ideal #3 center, and/or you don't believe he is an ideal top 9 winger, then you should consider how you might parlay that asset into a player or prospect that better fits the Bruins' needs.

For most fans, this has nothing to do with wanting to get rid of Spooner or not sufficiently valuing how good he is (or may be). And if the idea of trading Spooner is a total non-starter to you - hard to imagine since there is always some trade that makes any player tradeable - then there's no point in discussing it anyway. But if the Bruins can trade from a position of presumed depth to improve or add depth at a position where they are not so strong, then it's fair to discuss, no?

Don't worry, it's not like anything that is talked about here is going to influence what happens it the real world.

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
I would rather have Tarasenko. If you want to move Spooner for a RW from St. Louis that's who I'm looking for in return

Dont get me wrong, id much rather have Tarasenko as well. Unfortionatly thats not happening.
Ive always been a Rattie fan, but im not opposed to keeping Spooner either. I think they're actually pretty close interms of value/upside.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
what about to the Blues for Chris Stewart? I don't know if we would have to add but he could be a decent Iginla replacement. he has a lot in common with Horton, both the good things and the bad. he's very skilled and can really shoot but he's also very inconsistent. he goes through stretches where he looks unbelievable and then stretches where he's almost completely unnoticeable. I think playing with a playmaking center like Krejci and on the opposite wing of Lucic could bring out the best of him.

I don't know if I would do it because of Stewarts hot and cold play but I have seen Blues fans say they need offensive centers. a deal could make sense. I'd imagine it would have to be an offseason trade.

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
I wouldn't trade Spoons...he may be our 3rd line center going into next season...I suspect the kells may get dealt at some point...not saying I want that to happen...just a hunch.

member 96824

what about to the Blues for Chris Stewart? I don't know if we would have to add but he could be a decent Iginla replacement. he has a lot in common with Horton, both the good things and the bad. he's very skilled and can really shoot but he's also very inconsistent. he goes through stretches where he looks unbelievable and then stretches where he's almost completely unnoticeable. I think playing with a playmaking center like Krejci and on the opposite wing of Lucic could bring out the best of him.

I don't know if I would do it because of Stewarts hot and cold play but I have seen Blues fans say they need offensive centers. a deal could make sense. I'd imagine it would have to be an offseason trade.

Blues aren't going to be sellers, they'll be buyers...so like you said, it would have to be something in the offseason...but yeah Stewart would be pretty frustrating here for most. I would say Horton is even more consistent than he is. When he's not playing well, it's not unnoticeable because it's flat out lazy.

That being said, I like Stewart a lot...I just don't see the fit. Both the Blues and Bruins are in a window where they want to push to win today.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
I like Chris Stewart more than most people and I'd like to have him on the Bruins. However, I would wager than he's a total non-starter for most people because of his streaky production and somewhat bad rep as a result. And, even to a Chris Stewart fan like me, he has looked pretty useless in some recent games. I'd take him, 99% of the people here would not, especially for Spooner, a seeming favorite already.

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
I wouldn't trade Spoons...he may be our 3rd line center going into next season...I suspect the kells may get dealt at some point...not saying I want that to happen...just a hunch.

I thought the consensus was that Soderberg was going to be the 3rd line center. Spooner seems to have alot of issues in the faceoff circle. Hopefully he can work on it, but Soderberg seems to already do well on draws.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I thought the consensus was that Soderberg was going to be the 3rd line center. Spooner seems to have alot of issues in the faceoff circle. Hopefully he can work on it, but Soderberg seems to already do well on draws.

So far so good for Sodeberg. But also must recognize after next season he is UFA. Lots of others coming up for contracts too. So, he may or may not fit long term.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
I like Chris Stewart more than most people and I'd like to have him on the Bruins. However, I would wager than he's a total non-starter for most people because of his streaky production and somewhat bad rep as a result. And, even to a Chris Stewart fan like me, he has looked pretty useless in some recent games. I'd take him, 99% of the people here would not, especially for Spooner, a seeming favorite already.

I'm with you. I knew most people here wouldn't be on board with him but I do like him more then most. it's annoying how inconsistent his play is but when he's on he's so good. I've seen Blues fans say he plays better when he's on a line with a playmaking center. I'd take him, I know most here would not.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
I don't think it's a matter of whether Soderberg is better than Spooner, or vice versa. I will need to see some more of CS at center but initial results are pretty encouraging. Soderberg is different than Spooner, that's the key. Bigger, stronger, older. In the near term, he may be a nice #3 center. And he's affordable. And he's possibly just better as a center than as a wing and that can't be discounted. I think the point here is that Soderberg may make it more feasible to deal Spooner - it is worth noting that Spooner has not beat out any of the 5 centers in front of him in Boston. I don't know that anybody should assume he will be handed the #3 center position come October.

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
So far so good for Sodeberg. But also must recognize after next season he is UFA. Lots of others coming up for contracts too. So, he may or may not fit long term.

Ahh makes sense. Took so long to get him over here, he seems like a guy that doesnt enjoy moving lol. Hopefully that will means he will resign in Boston when the time comes :)

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
I'm with you. I knew most people here wouldn't be on board with him but I do like him more then most. it's annoying how inconsistent his play is but when he's on he's so good. I've seen Blues fans say he plays better when he's on a line with a playmaking center. I'd take him, I know most here would not.

There is a pretty interesting discussion going on about Stewart on the Blues HF board. The most eye catching commentary was from a fan who was essentially saying that Stewart just may not be very motivated to be a better player than he currently is. Even if he wasn't better, necessarily, just consistent, he'd be an all-star winger.

To me, he can be quite good and I'd personally love to see him on a line with Lucic and Krejci. That could be a Legion of Doom line that exceeds what Iginla and Horton have done (note that I said "could be"). There's that upside, I mean. And when you look at Stewart's stats, he has some pretty nice offensive production.

But, damn he's inconsistent and it's just a tough sell. The Bruins and Blues aren't likely trade partners IMO so it's all for naught. But if you could obtain him for the right price, and if his next contract is not stupid - a big question probably - then I'd do it.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005
Yeah, Wally is probably on the right track about Soderberg. Look at a team like Detroit, dealing with an aging core and with a pretty strong drive to remain one of the better teams. If Soderberg continues to improve and establishes himself as a nice player for Boston, he'll get an ugly contract from a team like the Wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad